Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Sunset Patio Bar

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Sunset Patio Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You don't have shootings and stabbings at restaurants.
    Well, we didn’t used to.

It's not a matter of audits.

Restaurants and bars are required to send in monthly sales reports that show revenue for food and drink.
    who do they send those to?

and all i am saying is you can't have selective enforcement .. which my guess is why the city is not very interested ..

Reports are sent to the OK Tax Commission.

I don't see anyone arguing for selective enforcement.

And as with anything, you start with the most flagrant offenders.

Remember, though, that ABC-3s require variances and/or special approvals if the establishment is within something like 5 blocks of a Church or School. Places in Plaza, Paseo, and many parts of downtown would have some trouble because of that - it's an ordinance that really has no place in an urban environment.

I definitely support updating the red tape required, don't get me wrong, but at this particular time, I'd rather we not harm the quality establishments just because we believe it will fix the problem with these few sour apples. I liked the Austin 6th Street mention above because it helps highlight that some of this is just a big city problem. I'm sure Kongz and Sunset exacerbate, but I tend to doubt it will go away from downtown completely.
    Last edited by Teo9969; 01-09-2023 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Legibility

Reports are sent to the OK Tax Commission.

I don't see anyone arguing for selective enforcement.

And as with anything, you start with the most flagrant offenders.
    right the tax commission which is not the City of OKC or Able ..

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Remember, though, that ABC-3s require variances and/or special approvals to if the establishment is within something like 5 blocks of a Church or School. Places on Plaza, Paseo, and many parts.of downtown would have some trouble because of that - it's an ordinance that really had no place I. An urban environment.

I definitely support updating the red tape required, don't get me wrong, but at this particular time, I'd rather we not harm the quality establishments just because we believe it will fix the problem with these few sour apples. I liked the Austin 6th Street mention above because it helps highlight that some of this is just a big city problem. I'm sure Kongz and Sunset exacerbate, but I tend to doubt it will go away from downtown completely.
    very much this

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Remember, though, that ABC-3s require variances and/or special approvals to if the establishment is within something like 5 blocks of a Church or School. Places on Plaza, Paseo, and many parts.of downtown would have some trouble because of that - it's an ordinance that really had no place I. An urban environment.

This is a better way of saying what I said poorly.

Good luck changing liquor laws in this state, too. Only Wal-Mart can pull that off. I would hate to see our urban nightlife decimated due to two or three bad owners in the entire city.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

Good luck changing liquor laws in this state, too. Only Wal-Mart can pull that off. I would hate to see our urban nightlife decimated due to two or three bad owners in the entire city.
    Liquor laws have been changed drastically in the fairly recent past. When I was young, my father had to go to a bootlegger to buy any kind of liquor. It can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    Liquor laws have been changed drastically in the fairly recent past. When I was young, my father had to go to a bootlegger to buy any kind of liquor. It can happen.
    I know they have, because Wal-Mart and other big hitters wanted them changed. That's literally the only reason they changed here. Those same big players don't care about alterations to ABC-2 licenses because they have no profit interest in that.

I know they have, because Wal-Mart and other big hitters wanted them changed. That's literally the only reason they changed here. Those same big players don't care about alterations to ABC-2 licenses because they have no profit interest in that.
    Walmart didn't even exist in any significance when Oklahoma started major reformations in their liqour laws.

LOL Are you serious? There plenty of valid complaints about this state but this comment is pretty hilarious coming a little over five years after a massive liquor law overhaul that was widely supported both at the capital and by the public.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    LOL Are you serious? There plenty of valid complaints about this state but this comment is pretty hilarious coming a little over five years after a massive liquor law overhaul that was widely supported both at the capital and by the public.
    His second sentence qualifies that Walmart was a huge force behind it and if they wouldn't have wanted the laws changed, they would not have been. No idea how accurate this is, but seems fairly so on the face of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    His second sentence qualifies that Walmart was a huge force behind it and if they wouldn't have wanted the laws changed, they would not have been. No idea how accurate this is, but seems fairly so on the face of it.
    Wasn't it the people of this state who voted for changes? Walmart doesn't have that much influence over people. Maybe as lobbyists, if the state was the one making these changes. But I think it was more the people who showed what they wanted by voting for changes to laws in this state.

Also, what does any of this have to do with a bar not accurately reporting alcohol versus food sales?

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Wasn't it the people of this state who voted for changes? Walmart doesn't have that much influence over people. Maybe as lobbyists, if the state was the one making these changes. But I think it was more the people who showed what they wanted by voting for changes to laws in this state.

Also, what does any of this have to do with a bar not accurately reporting alcohol versus food sales?
    Yes, the people voted for it, but I believe there was an immense amount of work BTS before it got there, which is where Walmart may have come into play.

And the relevance is that if bars won't tell the truth when they apply for a liquor license and we can't enforce the current laws, we should change the system (like we did with the changes a few years ago) so that there's not selective non-enforcement and everybody pays their fair share of taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Do you know how long it took to tee that up? Do you know the amount of money spent behind the scenes to get that to the point we voted on it?

This isn't a cage match. Slow down and read the entire post, and perhaps talk to someone who works at the Capitol or as a lobbyist, before jumping on my post.

It took 60-plus years of work behind the scenes to get to a point where I could buy wine and full-strength beer at a grocery. Perhaps it's your youth and total lack of perspective, but getting the state to revise ABLE classifications seems like a total non-starter, as there would be scant institutional support.

For all the trouble Sunset has caused in Midtown, I had forgotten that the guy that owns that building and fronted a lot of the build-out for the bar is Billy Woodring, the same person that is leading the group that built the Villa Teresa townhomes and is in the process of renovating the rest of that property into a boutique hotel.

Woodring was out front when Sunset was going for rezoning and at the time it was called Fan Club and was going to be a sports bar.

Sports bar.... In the interest of being completely fair and impartial to this establishment in regard to recent events: shooting is a recognized sport in many places.

Rumblings the landlord may evict Sunset in the near future.

If it happens, it will be in the next few months.

19. Default Re: Sunset Patio Bar

Rumblings the landlord may evict Sunset in the near future.

If it happens, it will be in the next few months.

Hopefully, the landlords and other owners in the area are stepping up to the plate to rid the area of a few of these troublesome spots and take back control again. Midtown always had a professional-after hours type vibe to me, not cheap beer and hot wings with a side of knuckle sandwich at a moment's notice. Not that I dislike cheap beer and hot wings...

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Hopefully, the landlords and other owners in the area are stepping up to the plate to rid the area of a few of these troublesome spots and take back control again. Midtown always had a professional-after hours type vibe to me, not cheap beer and hot wings with a side of knuckle sandwich at a moment's notice. Not that I dislike cheap beer and hot wings...
    Sunset, Kongs, and Fassler absolutely kill the vibe in Midtown more often than not. The operators need to seriously get their **** together. The McNellie's group really has disappointed me with the OKC Fassler, it is a completely different bar than the one in Tulsa. Sunset and Kong's are both ****holes with dog**** operators.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Sunset, Kongs, and Fassler absolutely kill the vibe in Midtown more often than not. The operators need to seriously get their **** together. The McNellie's group really has disappointed me with the OKC Fassler, it is a completely different bar than the one in Tulsa. Sunset and Kong's are both ****holes with dog**** operators.
    100% agree! It really seems like the owners/operators cater to a trashy crowd. Reminds me of the Rogers Concepts guy - - wish they would take these crap concepts somewhere else

I think Fassler just suffers from the big crowds being drawn by Kong's and Sunset.

It's formed kind of a dark triangle all right there together.

Sunset Patio brings a different crowd to Midtown that is needed for diversity. Okay there have been a couple shootings, no different than Bricktown. Everything can't be drinking latte's and reading books.

25. Default Re: Sunset Patio Bar

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Sunset Patio brings a different crowd to Midtown that is needed for diversity. Okay there have been a couple shootings, no different than Bricktown. Everything can't be drinking latte's and reading books.
    Not sure what you mean by diversity, but if "a couple of shootings" is the price for diversity, I certainly wouldn't sign up for it in my back yard.

Thread Information