Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunset Patio Bar

Default Re: Sunset Patio Bar

Just to clarify, Kong's is run by James Vu and Social Capital is owned by Shyon Keoppel.

Keoppel is also an investor in Kong's, but Sunset has a different GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just to clarify, Kong's is run by James Vu and Social Capital is owned by Shyon Keoppel.

Keoppel is also an investor in Kong's, but Sunset has a different GM.
    I think you meant to say sunset in the first sentence. Social capital is owned by the same group that owns the Patriarch in Edmond (brad Mullenix is one of the owners) and is not related to either of the midtown bars ..

^

Yes, my mistake.

At 9pm Easter Sunday, this place was absolutely packed with a club vibe.

Was hoping the club vibe would be contained to Kong's, or Bricktown

nm

Quote Originally Posted by thundernation5 View Post
    At 9pm Easter Sunday, this place was absolutely packed with a club vibe.

Was hoping the club vibe would be contained to Kong's, or Bricktown
    Go during the day. Much different atmosphere than at night.

I've been at night as well and wouldn’t say that it had a “club vibe” the times I’ve gone (which might have been during the week) but it certainly was louder and more packed than during the afternoon.

Someone pointed out that Sunset does not actually face the way the sun sets and now I can't unsee it.....

During Oklahoma summers, that is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Someone pointed out that Sunset does not actually face the way the sun sets and now I can't unsee it.....
    That's a shame. I thought it would be a nice place to catch the sunset.

No news article yet as far as I can tell, but looks like there were multiple people shot at this bar tonight.

ETA: Found a news article. One dead, three injured. https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...-10th/42374311

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    No news article yet as far as I can tell, but looks like there were multiple people shot at this bar tonight.

ETA: Found a news article. One dead, three injured. https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...-10th/42374311
    What it lacks in ambience, it makes up for in ambulance…

Article says shooting occurred in parking lot, not in any establishment

Just saw the article, too. This place needs to be shut down. It's ridiculously bad for Midtown and OKC. The KOCO piece suggests Fassler Hall. The Oklahoman article says 10th and Hudson, which is closer to Sunset.

When you include Kong's in the mix, it's all just one big triumvirate of toxicity regardless.

^

I'm surprised the Midtown Renaissance group hasn't used its influence to curtail those places.

They've made a massive investment in Midtown with much more coming, including the Phillips Murrah building getting ready to start construction right in the middle of those three places.

All of them operate under an ABC-2 liquor license which means they are required to generate 51% of their revenue from food sales, and you can be sure none of those 'restaurants' even reach 10% in food sales. That alone would allow the clamps to be put on and given their history, they'd have a very hard time getting a full ABC-3 license.

At the very least, these clubs should pay off-duty officers to protect the parking lots and streets. People shouldn't have to be worried about gunplay when leaving the establishments.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Just saw the article, too. This place needs to be shut down. It's ridiculously bad for Midtown and OKC. The KOCO piece suggests Fassler Hall. The Oklahoman article says 10th and Hudson, which is closer to Sunset.

When you include Kong's in the mix, it's all just one big triumvirate of toxicity regardless.
    it was basically in the parking lot ... which is used by people going to Fassler as well ..

and fassler can be just as bad as sunset and kongs ..

Fassler has armed security already. They can't do anything about the stuff going on outside.

Collective also had a shooting outside a year or so ago.

This kind of stuff just comes with a bar district + lots of people on a weekend night. Look what Austin does on 6th street, they close entire blocks to vehicles and have a massive, controversial police presence - yet there is still fights and shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    it was basically in the parking lot ... which is used by people going to Fassler as well ..

and fassler can be just as bad as sunset and kongs ..
    According to the OCPD, a fight broke out inside Sunset PatioBar and spilled out into the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    According to the OCPD, a fight broke out inside Sunset PatioBar and spilled out into the parking lot.
    I, probably others too, was willing to bet that it started at Sunset. So not surprising. Pete mentions Midtown Renaissance using their influence to help but if other landlords are going to lease space to the Sunsets and Kongs of the world, not much you can do to stop it other than educate landlords before they do future deals.

Interestingly, MidtownR is the landlord to Fassler Hall.

I know that place can get packed and rowdy but they seem to be more responsible than Sunset and Kong's, both of which actively employ 'promoters' and often draw crowds that would not typically be in Midtown.

I place responsibility for this condition at the hands of the mayor, the council person, the Chief of Police and any other official who has influence with the ABLE Commission. They need to seek the help of that agency in enforcing the provisions of ABC 2 requirements.

I actually like Fassler for their food and beer selection, but hardly ever go because of the clientele that is often found there. Which is a shame, I love the location and everything but cannot stand rubbing elbows with that kind of crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I place responsibility for this condition at the hands of the mayor, the council person, the Chief of Police and any other official who has influence with the ABLE Commission. They need to seek the help of that agency in enforcing the provisions of ABC 2 requirements.
    If they haven't been enforced by now, I doubt they'll start anytime soon. How often *is* that enforced, seems like not much, if ever?

I'll take "Things that happen everywhere, not exclusively in OKC" for $500. This happens everywhere, unfortunately. From states with no carry laws to states with open carry. It is sad that these keep occurring. But, shotgunning blame around does nothing. Call, email, text, etc. those you feel are responsible, and let them know your thoughts. But blaming them on a message board with no follow up does nothing.

I do not love Sunset Patio Bar, at all. The clientele they are trying to attract with their promoters are not the kind I would want to be around. Hopefully some of this gets rectified by people calling their council person, mayor, police department, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I actually like Fassler for their food and beer selection, but hardly ever go because of the clientele that is often found there. Which is a shame, I love the location and everything but cannot stand rubbing elbows with that kind of crowd.
    Just curious, what type of crowd is that?

Thread Information