Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunset Patio Bar

Default Re: Sunset Patio Bar

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I hope no one is still using plexiglass as a COVID precaution. We've known for 10 months that COVID spreads via aerosols. Plexiglass is pointless. DISTANCE + VENTILATION + MASKS IS MORE IMPORTANT.

This looks like another good addition to Midtown
    Lets hope it has less police calls and guns going off than Kongs.

Blog Entries

seems statistically unlikely

Blog Entries

I hope no one is still using plexiglass as a COVID precaution. We've known for 10 months that COVID spreads via aerosols. Plexiglass is pointless. DISTANCE + VENTILATION + MASKS IS MORE IMPORTANT.
    This looks like another good addition to Midtown
    So, you are saying aerosols can penetrate through plexiglass. Interesting physics there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, you are saying aerosols can penetrate through plexiglass. Interesting physics there.
    Lol. They go around it. Any other questions?

Blog Entries

They MAY go around, just as they go around poorly fitting masks. And, 6 ft isn’t magic. And, ventilation air flow can be more a problem than a safety if the system isn’t right. But they are all part of a holistic approach to fighting it. Plex shields help, but don’t totally protect. It is wrong to imply they aren’t helpful.

Looks interesting. Drink prices seem high. $12 for shot of jack and PBR, $12 for Jim Beam Black old fashioned

7. Default Re: Sunset Patio Bar

home run - great for Midtown. LOVE the hours and menu, and the construction/landscaping/lack of parking - very urban.

We need many more of these types of places throughout downtown and the inner city!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

If that's the argument, then it doesn't matter if it's aerosols vs droplets. Like Rover said, it can go around poorly fitting masks as well. So unless people are all breathing heavily, sneezing, or coughing straight up into the air, plexiglass is absolutely helpful. Probably more helpful than social distancing by 6 feet, imo.

But, I agree. Looks like a really cool spot that will continue to liven up Midtown.

First, I'll say that plexiglass works different in theory than practice. It assumes that people stay within these little areas. Second, y'all are right. Plexiglass is not full proof, just like poorly fitting masks. I actually think that's a pretty good metaphor. In the end, increased spacing, less crowds, and ventilation are the only ways to really increase safety meaningfully. Plexiglass feels more like pandemic theater than an effective way to reduce spread. Having said that, I hope it works better than I think and I do appreciate businesses who are really trying to figure out creative solutions. I just often see businesses with plexiglass up, but then they don't even open doors and windows (a far more effective action) when the weather permits.

Blog Entries

Disagree when it comes to retail/restaurant workers directly across from someone, better to have the shield than not, yes the aerosols are still around, but they're not coming right at you, especially with so many noses hanging out of masks...

Blog Entries

First, I'll say that plexiglass works different in theory than practice. It assumes that people stay within these little areas. Second, y'all are right. Plexiglass is not full proof, just like poorly fitting masks. I actually think that's a pretty good metaphor. In the end, increased spacing, less crowds, and ventilation are the only ways to really increase safety meaningfully. Plexiglass feels more like pandemic theater than an effective way to reduce spread. Having said that, I hope it works better than I think and I do appreciate businesses who are really trying to figure out creative solutions. I just often see businesses with plexiglass up, but then they don't even open doors and windows (a far more effective action) when the weather permits.
    Just a note about ventilation.... cross currents that stimulate the air and keep airborne particulates suspended and flowing horizontally across the population of the room can actually do a lot to spread a suspended virus. Just having ventilation is no more effective that just having a plex shield. You have to design the air flow to reduce the time the suspended virus is in the air and remove it up or down and away from the people. Blowing virus from person to person is no bueno.

Unfortunately, people want a one size fits all simple solution. It takes more than that. That's why all the efforts must work holistically to do the job to reduce the risk. In the end, a well fitting proper mask is still the one thing you can control yourself to help keep the spread down.

Ventilation depends a lot on the amount and location of windows and doors. In a good set up, it’s dramatically safer than plexiglass. An open door at McNellie’s won’t do it, but opening all the doors/windows at a Fassler Hall would make a massive difference.

Blog Entries

Ventilation depends a lot on the amount and location of windows and doors. In a good set up, it’s dramatically safer than plexiglass. An open door at McNellie’s won’t do it, but opening all the doors/windows at a Fassler Hall would make a massive difference.
    Everything is not binary and competing. Well designed ventilation, air filtration, masking, plex and other barriers, and proper distancing should all be used as possible. This argument of one or the other is silly. As I keep saying, a holistic approach beats a one size fits all attitude.

Blog Entries

rode by this place on my bike around 6p yesterday and it was so unbelievably packed it was like it was March 10th, 2020....

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    rode by this place on my bike around 6p yesterday and it was so unbelievably packed it was like it was March 10th, 2020....
    It is from the same ownership as Kong's - nobody should be surprised.

Blog Entries

was not at all surprised, was just pointing it out for those not able to observe themselves

It looked like an outstanding vector site for SARS-CV19 when I drove past Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    It looked like an outstanding vector site for SARS-CV19 when I drove past Sunday afternoon.
    Sad.

My girlfriend and I rode our bikes down by the river this morning and decided to give this place a try afterward. The overall vibe of the place is cool and the Will Ferrell mural inside is fun, but we were uncomfortable as only a few members of the waitstaff were wearing masks, and virtually none of the bartenders were wearing theirs. I understand people are getting their vaccines, but it was honestly shocking how little precaution they were taking and it really tainted our first impression of the place.

We ordered the "Chicken Poppers" and I ordered the "Walk of Shame" which is just a few eggs, hashbrowns, and dinner rolls with honey butter. My girlfriend ordered the "Billi Burger." We waited around 30 minutes, which was frustrating, but I just chalked it up to it being a new establishment and getting the kinks out.

However, when our food finally came we actually looked at each other and laughed because the portion size and the overall quality of the food was embarrassing. I'd liken it to a lower quality Denny's or even a Waffle House, which, I understand this place is a bar, but I think Oklahoma City has several bars with good to decent food like Fassler next door. My eggs were cold and the dinner rolls were literally the ones you buy in a bag at Walmart and were also cold. The "Bili Burger" reminded me of the cheeseburgers you'd buy at a high school football game concessions stand. They also forgot to bring us the "Chicken Poppers" which they were kind enough to refund us for.

I don't have a refined palate. I frequently eat fast food and what most people would consider low-quality food and enjoy it. But this was without a doubt the worst restaurant/bar experience I've ever had since living here. I don't doubt it's very difficult to run and maintain a restaurant/bar, especially during a pandemic. But we were shocked at how bad it was. Maybe it's my fault for having too high of expectations. But like I mentioned earlier, Fassler's next door has good food. So does McNellie's, The Pump, Palo Santo, etc.

It's a shame, the space is really cool. If I was younger and got absolutely hammered, maybe the food would taste better. Maybe they'll get the kinks out and people will really enjoy it. It was just definitely not for me.

https://imgur.com/GwN5tgO
    https://imgur.com/kSFysMI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpeg 2.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	16789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpeg.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	494.0 KB 
ID:	16790  

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    My girlfriend and I rode our bikes down by the river this morning and decided to give this place a try afterward. The overall vibe of the place is cool and the Will Ferrell mural inside is fun, but we were uncomfortable as only a few members of the waitstaff were wearing masks, and virtually none of the bartenders were wearing theirs. I understand people are getting their vaccines, but it was honestly shocking how little precaution they were taking and it really tainted our first impression of the place.

We ordered the "Chicken Poppers" and I ordered the "Walk of Shame" which is just a few eggs, hashbrowns, and dinner rolls with honey butter. My girlfriend ordered the "Billi Burger." We waited around 30 minutes, which was frustrating, but I just chalked it up to it being a new establishment and getting the kinks out.

However, when our food finally came we actually looked at each other and laughed because the portion size and the overall quality of the food was embarrassing. I'd liken it to a lower quality Denny's or even a Waffle House, which, I understand this place is a bar, but I think Oklahoma City has several bars with good to decent food like Fassler next door. My eggs were cold and the dinner rolls were literally the ones you buy in a bag at Walmart and were also cold. The "Bili Burger" reminded me of the cheeseburgers you'd buy at a high school football game concessions stand. They also forgot to bring us the "Chicken Poppers" which they were kind enough to refund us for.

I don't have a refined palate. I frequently eat fast food and what most people would consider low-quality food and enjoy it. But this was without a doubt the worst restaurant/bar experience I've ever had since living here. I don't doubt it's very difficult to run and maintain a restaurant/bar, especially during a pandemic. But we were shocked at how bad it was. Maybe it's my fault for having too high of expectations. But like I mentioned earlier, Fassler's next door has good food. So does McNellie's, The Pump, Palo Santo, etc.

It's a shame, the space is really cool. If I was younger and got absolutely hammered, maybe the food would taste better. Maybe they'll get the kinks out and people will really enjoy it. It was just definitely not for me.

https://imgur.com/GwN5tgO
    https://imgur.com/kSFysMI
    Yuck. I've seen better looking food at Grandy's.

That's not good at all. I took my pooch to Scissortail Park a couple of weeks ago on a pretty afternoon. I decided to try our Social Capital. I had a margarita and nachos. They were amazing. Definitely could feed two people but I had no problem finishing them off myself.

Social Capital is another example of a place that, while maybe you could say its main focus is drinks/cocktails, has really good food as well.

I have nothing against this place and do honestly hope it gets better. The location and space itself is so nice. It would be a bummer to have a mediocre establishment at that corner. I hope other people have better experiences than me. Maybe it was just an off day.

Social Capital is another example of a place that, while maybe you could say its main focus is drinks/cocktails, has really good food as well.

I have nothing against this place and do honestly hope it gets better. The location and space itself is so nice. It would be a bummer to have a mediocre establishment at that corner. I hope other people have better experiences than me. Maybe it was just an off day.
    LOL you're too nice. By the looks of the food, they aren't even trying.

Looking at the burger, I'd be okay with everything except the patty itself. It does look akin to what the burgers I got in highschool. Shame cause it's to my understanding it's the same ownership as Kongs and I did enjoy their burgers, before the cantina days when they first opened.

Market forces will dictate that if they don't offer a better product for what they charge they will not be around for long.

Thread Information