Widgets Magazine

Thread: Weokie

Far North Weokie

Planning a 3-story administrative building and new credit union at 7410 W. Memorial, directly west of the Farmers Insurance building.

33,218 square feet and $7.76 million building permit application.

Default Re: Weokie

well this goes well with the traffic conversation over on the Memorial and Rockwell thread... lol. thanks pete for the info!

Their Main Office is listed as 8100 W Reno I wonder if this relocates them and if so will that one close (if no actual credit union banking is done there)?

I can remember when their first office was located inside the Western Electric plant at Reno and Council and catered only to WE employees.... hence the name, WEOkie.

They already have major dirt work going I think this is going to go up fast!

Lots of dirt work and heavy equipment at this site right now. I noticed a good deal of the construction fence blew down in the recent storm here.

CMU block work on Admin Building is on going. It looks like they've got most of their structure up for the new credit union base when I drove by last night.

They have their elevator or stairs shaft up. Should see walls going up soon.

looks like that have all the steel up for one of the walls. so at max height, now see how it builds out

Blog Entries

Off topic..... but it appeared they might have had some type of incident at that site overnight - when I drove by this morning there were police along memorial picking stuff up in the field to the west and it appeared the construction fence was crashed on the far East side (not sure what that N-S street is off Memorial (before Rockwell). Anyway....was curious.

I used to be a member of Weokie, it is a very good credit union if anyone is thinking of opening an account

Yep, I’ve been a member for over 40 years, and they have been really good over the years. My dad was one of the charter members when the credit union started inside the Western Electric plant. I sometimes get funny looks and comments from tellers when I go in and they see my account number. I have noticed that since they went all inclusive to anyone in town, they have lost that feeling of exclusivity. Some of that close personal service and membership feeling is gone and it has become more like just a bank.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Yep, I’ve been a member for over 40 years, and they have been really good over the years. My dad was one of the charter members when the credit union started inside the Western Electric plant. I sometimes get funny looks and comments from tellers when I go in and they see my account number. I have noticed that since they went all inclusive to anyone in town, they have lost that feeling of exclusivity. Some of that close personal service and membership feeling is gone and it has become more like just a bank.
    That sucks

I don’t know if it sucks. They still have good rates on their services, and are good to work with. The biggest thing lately is trying to get ahold of someone by phone. I used to be able call and get right through to a live voice, or have to hold only for a short time before I was able to talk to someone. Now they have this automated answering system that puts you into mega hold and takes a while to be able to talk to someone. They’ve just become , well ..... big.

I have been a member since they took over Wilson credit union at least 30 years ago, used to go to their annual membership meetings. A good place to do business for sure....but likie rezman said about, I think when they switched to become a "federal" credit union, things just not the same....more like a bank, not a credit union in my opinion.

"lost that feeling of exclusivity. Some of that close personal service and membership feeling is gone and it has become more like just a bank."

...exactly!

Once organizations get to a certain size, it's very hard to keep the small, tight-knit feel that members grew up with. WEOKIE is a fairly large credit union. >1B in assets. It makes it hard when you get any larger than that.

Hi good morning to all y'all.

I've been using the drive through and walk in service for about 4 or 6 weeks.

Good service, nice people.

Looking at the earlier comments about things changing as time goes by, I agree and it's inevitalbe,
    I do miss some of the old ways when they were smaller, some of the tellers would remember your
    name. Today some still do, but with so many more customers/members it's just not as prevalent.

I've been a member of Stinker FCU ( well that's what I call them, it's a joke) since 1988-ish so 32 years now
    and with Weokie since 1999-ish, y'all old timers have me beat. I do still have the wallet card size membership cards they originally gave me. If I pull those out when the tellers ask for ID I do get a bit of a strange look.
    Obviously my Stinker card is older than many of the tellers on duty.

It's true, change is inevitable, except at the vending machine!

I do want to say that during the last couple months, with all the difficulties, I had to call We Okie a couple times to make some adjustments. They were quick to answer the calls and direct me to whom I needed to talk to. The person answered quickly, and helped me with my issue. Very nice and professional.

Thread Information