Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make Ready

Midtown Make Ready

Midtown Renaissance set to renovate one of their old auto shop buildings at 220 NW 13th into small spaces for entrepreneurs. Plans were submitted to the Downtown Design Review Committee on Friday.

Chris Fleming of MidtownR provided this quote:

“It was urbanist Jane Jacobs who wrote, ‘A lively city scene is lively largely by virtue of the collection of small elements and in particular its commercial diversity.’ We feel that the Make Ready Building personifies this thought.”

“The Make Ready Building provides commercial space to the small-tenant market segment that currently has limited options in Midtown. This building could house startup companies that come out of the Thunder Launchpad or the Innovation District or i2E. Maybe it’s home to a two- or four- or six- person office or maybe a workshop and retail space for a group of artisan makers.”

“Companies and their employees want to be in Midtown. The Make Ready Building ensures that companies of all sizes can be here.”

Default Re: Make Ready

I'm not sure if it's this project, or the building next door, but on the "for lease" sign it says "NO DISPENSARIES". I'm not sure if this is a common trend around town, but I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    I'm not sure if it's this project, or the building next door, but on the "for lease" sign it says "NO DISPENSARIES". I'm not sure if this is a common trend around town, but I love it.
    If this renovation is bank-financed, I'm sure that is a requirement.

Blog Entries

I am a partner for a building that leases out space and our bank does not care that we have two CBD related businesses. Just offering up the data point.

That sign has been up a long time. It is for the building on 13 th that used to be a pharmacy.

They are both owned by the Midtown Renaissance group; the No Dispensaries building is directly east of this project.

Bob Howard doesn't want dispensaries in his properties for some reason.

I saw a quote from Midtown partner Mickey Clagg that said something to the effect that thy felt the marijuana business was already oversaturated in the city and they didn't feel it was a good fit for their plan at this time.

So many dispensaries are looking for space, and many (most?) won't be around in a year or two. Many property owners & leasing agents don't want to deal with them. And as @Sooner88 said, bank financing on the building typically prohibits any tenant who is known to operate a business that is in violation of law.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I am a partner for a building that leases out space and our bank does not care that we have two CBD related businesses. Just offering up the data point.
    Is it CBD or a marijuana dispensary? If it's below 0.30% THC it falls under a different regulation.

This project is complete, and, according to the proprietor of Mira Bird (a fantastic cooking oriented gift shop) all the spaces are leased out. She also informed me that the owners want to raze the ugly brown building across from it and create a mirror development.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190917_133740.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	15599

They are planning to take the small building to the east and make a mirror of the recently renovated building.

14. Default Re: Make Ready

Went into Twinkle Apothecary last weekend and the space is really neat--kind of a micro retail concept. The owner indicated the terms are very favorable for folks who have a solid online presence but are looking to develop local walk in traffic as well. She is very happy with the space. I thought it was perfect for a small business owner in the brick and mortar/ecomm retail environment we live in. She mentioned the development across the way as well to form a little retail court there. Should be neat.

The small building to the east has been demolished to make way for what will be almost a mirror of the existing structure:

Great project, but I'm having a hard time understanding the uninviting metal doors.

Quote Originally Posted by theanvil View Post
    Great project, but I'm having a hard time understanding the uninviting metal doors.
    They are glass.

18. Default Re: Make Ready

I wish someone would lease one of these spots and put in a public accessible podcast recording studio. Somewhere where people could reserve time in a professional sound treated space to record and maybe space for podcast club meetings, seminars, etc. These have popped up in other cities and are pretty popular.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I wish someone would lease one of these spots and put in a public accessible podcast recording studio. Somewhere where people could reserve time in a professional sound treated space to record and maybe space for podcast club meetings, seminars, etc. These have popped up in other cities and are pretty popular.
    Do you think there's enough demand in OKC for something like that?

Blog Entries

KCSC is now downtown (in the Santa Fe Garage space) and their new digs are really awesome. You can see them recording from the sidewalk. Wonder if they'd allow that space to be used for the podcast thing.

Work has already started on the 2nd building (on the right):

Quote Originally Posted by lpsooner View Post
    Do you think there's enough demand in OKC for something like that?
    I have at least five buddies who have all started their podcasts over the past couple of years. They all are looking for better recording situations and I think they would all be up for a studio like that.

That entrance/exit thing is annoying and hardly do people ever use it as intended.

This project is now complete.

Thread Information