Widgets Magazine

Thread: KOCO Named Evan Onstot as new Evening News Anchor

Default KOCO Named Evan Onstot as new Evening News Anchor

https://www.koco.com/article/evan-on...PgZmbAx-p9gnVA

OKLAHOMA CITY —
    Evan Onstot has been named weekday evening anchor for KOCO 5 News. He joins co-anchor Jessica Schambach and Chief Meteorologist Damon Lane for the 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. newscasts.

Onstot comes to KOCO 5 from KSEE-TV (NBC) in Fresno, California, where he served as weekday evening anchor.
    “I’m thrilled and honored to join the team at KOCO 5,” said Onstot. “Professionally, it’s a great opportunity at a great station. But I’m just as excited to move my family to Oklahoma City. It’s a homecoming for my wife, a Sooner grad and a fantastic place to raise our children.”

Onstot brings a wealth of experience to his new role at KOCO 5. In addition to anchoring newscasts, he was host of a weekly political show with local news makers and policy experts. He moderated three debates during the 2018 political season, including a statewide California gubernatorial debate. In 2016, he reported live from both political party national conventions for five stations in four states, moderated four live debates and landed a market exclusive interview with then House Speaker Paul Ryan.

Onstot’s weekly political show and political reporting earned him a spot on a list of Fresno’s most influential people in local politics. He was also nominated for an Emmy Award for a special on the 50th Anniversary of President Kennedy’s assassination, which he hosted and co-wrote. The special aired in dozens of markets across the country.

This is a real homecoming for the Onstot family. Onstot’s wife, Julie, is not only a proud graduate of the University of Oklahoma, she interned at KOCO 5, while studying at OU.

Evan and Julie have two children.

Default Re: KOCO Named Evan Onstot as new Evening News Anchor

What will happen to Abigail Ogle??? And when will the new guy start? I couldn't find the info on KOCO website.

#bringbacklance

New york-based Hearst communication needs to start doing real news or get out of Oklahoma City.

5. Default Re: KOCO Named Evan Onstot as new Evening News Anchor

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    What will happen to Abigail Ogle??? And when will the new guy start? I couldn't find the info on KOCO website.
    From what I understand, Abigail will do the news at 6, and Jessica and the new guy 5:00 and 10:00. I'm not happy about this at all. I have become a real Abigail Ogle fan. I personally think Jessica and Abigail deliver the news quiet well. Why change something that is working?

Abigail Ogle is average at best. Put her back in Sports.

I want Ogle free media!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    There are those of us who use to watch KOCO for this very reason.

Makes you wonder if all of this could have been avoided if they had just kept Paul Folger and Jessica Schambach as the main anchor team for 5, 6, and 10 pm?

Just a theory, did Folger leave for Minneapolis because KOCO pulled back on the number of shows he was anchoring? He was here and the pairing of him and Schambach seemed to work well.

Abigail will report on the 5 and 10 and anchor the 6...same way it was before Paul left. Minneapolis is a top 15 market. Higher salary for Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    Abigail Ogle is average at best. Put her back in Sports.
    Bring back the like button, Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    No, seriously, bring it back!

I kind of get the feeling they pushed Paul out. Not sure why. Maybe after 10 years I think it was they were wanting a change maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I kind of get the feeling they pushed Paul out. Not sure why. Maybe after 10 years I think it was they were wanting a change maybe?
    If you were anchoring 5, 6, 10 and you lose a show, more than likely, your contract when renewed would be for less pay? I get the same feeling Paul was pushed out.

Paul was still appearing on all three shows...just not anchoring the 6:00. Typically reporters and anchors move to larger markets for new opportunities and more money. Some stay where they are because they like the area or it's their home. Bigger markets usually mean more pressure and you are far away from family and friends. It boils down to what you are looking for in life.

Of course in top 40 markets reporters and anchors sometimes DON'T get their contracts renewed, just part of the business.

Thread Information