Widgets Magazine

Thread: Homeowners Insurance

1. Default Homeowners Insurance

Not sure exactly where to post this so I’m doing it here. Current insurance company went from $2400 last year to $3200 this year. Anyone have suggestions on where to try switching to? BTW, I have had homeowners insurance since 1978 and have never, ever filed a claim.

2. Default Re: Homeowners Insurance

Sounds like you have State Farm like me

Default Re: Homeowners Insurance

What state/city? That is high as hell.

Also, most give multi policy discounts (car/house) so look at that aspect if not already.

4. Default Re: Homeowners Insurance

Sent you a private message

Blog Entries

Impressive no claims since a big part of the metro got new roofs during those incredible hail storms 7-8 years ago. We got 2 in three years in NW OKC.

Blog Entries

Guessing you have State Farm. We were with them for about 10 years, and our insurance climbed over the years and we just paid it and didn't shop. We finally shopped, and apples for apples, We saved 1K on homeowners, and 1K on auto switching to Allstate. Bill, send me a private message if you want my agent's info.

We switched 7 months ago to Republic after Liberty Mutual went up significantly and after getting quotes from Allstate and State Farm. https://republicgroup.com/shared/eng/findanagent.aspx

8. Default Re: Homeowners Insurance

A couple mentioned State Farm. Nope. Progressive. I’ve shopped every couple years and they were always cheapest. But this year they went way up. It’s only a 1500 sq ft house.

9. Default Re: Homeowners Insurance

https://cobbleinsurance.com/

Switched to them from AAA. They went up a ton last year. Cobble's found a similar plan and saved me a good amount. Friendly folks.

10. Default Re: Homeowners Insurance

I've had USAA for years in several states. I think you still need some sort of military connection to use them. Had a hail storm a couple of years ago and they replaced roof, painted and Windows with no problems. They were very good to work with.

11. Default Re: Homeowners Insurance

Thanks all! Working with soonerj2015

12. Default Re: Homeowners Insurance

Thanks for the opportunity Bill!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Thanks all! Working with
    soonerj2015

Last big hail storm we had our roof replaced with Impact Resistant shingles. The roof was around $ 40,000.00 to replace (2 story) and my insurance bill dropped to $ 2,400.00 from $ 3,200.00. Stayed with State Farm. Insured for $ 350 K.

The thing I've been learning about SF, Allstate, etc is that one of the.big differences is some pay out readily for a loss, but others pay out like it was gold extracted from their own blood. I'm an SF customer, andy homeowner's actually went down this year. I've received promotional teasers from other companies, but once I unwind my discounts for multicar, multiline, longtime customer, etc, , I end up finding out the savings is a bit illusory.

On our recent shopping, combined auto and home discount applied, State Farm was about $300 more than Republic. Plus the homeowners deductible at State Farm was $2500 and is $1000 at Republic. That was the least State Farm would write the deductible for. Both were 5% on earthquake with masonry exclusions. We left State Farm a few years ago for Liberty Mutual and about $1000 a year less. Liberty Mutual was the highest after going up on their rate this time around. Seems like a pattern to force people into either paying more after a couple of years or looking around.

16. Default Re: Homeowners Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    The thing I've been learning about SF, Allstate, etc is that one of the.big differences is some pay out readily for a loss, but others pay out like it was gold extracted from their own blood. I'm an SF customer, andy homeowner's actually went down this year. I've received promotional teasers from other companies, but once I unwind my discounts for multicar, multiline, longtime customer, etc, , I end up finding out the savings is a bit illusory.
    As far as paying out I don’t care, at least as of now. I’ve never filed a homeowners claim and haven’t filed an auto claim in years. All the talk about level of service means nothing to me since to me all insurance has ever done is take my money and provide nothing. If I ever have a disaster I’m sure I’ll feel differently. But to me that’s an if. This is what hit me as really odd this time. Progressive went up 25% in a year when Oklahoma didn’t have bad weather last year and I wouldn’t file a claim unless it was something big anyway.

I was with State Farm for over 20 years. I had two storm damage claims within 5 years and then in 2010 a total loss to fire. They took good care of us and paid out a substantial claim, them dropped us like a hot potato. I was able to get on with Farmers when building our new home and only paid one month of high risk coverage due to the first storm damage claim with SF falling off the 5 year radar. They have since gradually increased their premiums to the point that we are ready to start shopping as well.

If you are a person who hops around via price every couple years, then I would suggest you keep doing it. There are many reasons a company enters a new market, or uses low rates on “conquest” customers with the intent of raising rates after a few years when the customer gets complacent.

I can only comment from the body shop side that I have observed after 40 years in the biz that the gap in service and payout between 90% of the carriers is within 10-20% of each other. You have to have someone like Chubb to get the policy with no aftermarket parts and high rental car reimbursement, and the premiums reflect that.

AAA was the place to be a couple years ago for us; then jacked it up 30%+ this year so - as much as I hate shopping insurance (and I'm a retired insurance agent!), I shopped. Ended up with Safeco, now owned by Liberty Mutual (who I was with 4 or 5 years ago and who also went the jacking route). The rate was over $1000 less for the house and more than $400 less for the autos... and that included a couple of coverages I hadn't had with any of the other carriers: Service coverage on mechanicals and appliances, and sewer line maintenance / backup. I'm sure I'll have to eventually go shopping again. BTW... I went back to Liberty Mutual for a quote this year, too... and while it was a little lower than the AAA renewal, it couldn't hold a candle to its own Safeco branch.

Quote Originally Posted by jennydahl View Post
    AAA was the place to be a couple years ago for us; then jacked it up 30%+ this year so - as much as I hate shopping insurance (and I'm a retired insurance agent!), I shopped. Ended up with Safeco, now owned by Liberty Mutual (who I was with 4 or 5 years ago and who also went the jacking route). The rate was over $1000 less for the house and more than $400 less for the autos... and that included a couple of coverages I hadn't had with any of the other carriers: Service coverage on mechanicals and appliances, and sewer line maintenance / backup. I'm sure I'll have to eventually go shopping again. BTW... I went back to Liberty Mutual for a quote this year, too... and while it was a little lower than the AAA renewal, it couldn't hold a candle to its own Safeco branch.
    Agree. I recently updated homeowners and vehicle insurance. SafeCo and AllState were both very competitive on pricing. We had State Farm previously, and the rates increased astronomically.

Shop around every few years. The way their pricing models work, new customers get lured in with lower rates.

22. Default Re: Homeowners Insurance

We have to change about every two years. We were with Liberty Mutual for awhile - then they went way up. Then went to AAA - they too jumped significantly (with no claims). Shopped again and this time landed with Progressive - which I thought was odd because I just always assumed they were for people who had to pay higher rates for whatever reason (claims, tickets, etc - which we have non of those). Annual premium dropped by about $1,200 from AAA. I guess they just count on people being too lazy to shop their insurance needs and just pay the ever increasing premiums.

Thread Information