Widgets Magazine
Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: MAPS 4 Stadium

Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by cornhusker740 View Post
    That would be a great development for downtown and soccer fans in the area, but no talk of making it work for baseball too?

Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark turns 26 years old this year, which is older than Paycom, and it's the third oldest facility in the PCL.

Kind of surprised not much has been said about maybe a more modern stadium for the OKC Baseball Club/Dodgers.
    Is this comment serious?

The current baseball stadium could be upgraded to be really nice if there was desire to do so. They could start by turning the closed off upper first base deck into some kind of party deck. There is just no desire/money to do so. We are going to building a new basketball arena that will end up being over a a billion dollars so baseball and soccer should be happy with what they have or will be getting.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Great, even more reason for Mazaheri to sit on the Lumberyard property and use it as parking, smh.
    Or until the city grows a pair and enforces regulations. That’s always an option too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
    Here is Lackmeyer's story with quotes from Funk and Holt. Appears Funk/Energy are buying the land and donating it to the city for the stadium.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...g/71991914007/
    Are they buying the entire property or just this parcel? Wouldn’t that mean the entire property would need to be cleaned and have the soil remediated? IIRC wasn’t the asking price of the entire development something like 100+ million dollars or am I imagining things?

If anything this makes me think there is more behind this plan that hasn’t been released. A commercial element with retail, restaurants, hotels and housing. I’d expect most of the site work for the entire development to be complete with several other projects under construction if not complete by the time the stadium opens.

Funk is only buying 9 acres and then donating some or all of that to the City for the stadium.

The overall Producers Coop parcel is 34 acres.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Funk is only buying 9 acres and then donating some or all of that to the City for the stadium.

The overall Producers Coop parcel is 34 acres.
    So are there going to be plans to at least make the rest of the site developable before or by the time the stadium opens? I wouldn’t imagine they could open this in the middle of a contaminated field. Surely they’d have to remediate the soil and remove contaminants for the whole 34 acres even if they’re just taking a small part of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    So are there going to be plans to at least make the rest of the site developable before or by the time the stadium opens? I wouldn’t imagine they could open this in the middle of a contaminated field. Surely they’d have to remediate the soil and remove contaminants for the whole 34 acres even if they’re just taking a small part of it.
    I think that the requirements are different by use. So probably no, they don't have to remediated under the stadium the same as they would have for residential sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I think that the requirements are different by use. So probably no, they don't have to remediated under the stadium the same as they would have for residential sites.
    Bingo

SO what you guys are telling me is 9 acres of stadium and 25 acres of parking surface. Nice!

"Contaminants" can mean a lot of different things. Not like were talking about walking through a nuclear wasteland to see a soccer game.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    "Contaminants" can mean a lot of different things. Not like were talking about walking through a nuclear wasteland to see a soccer game.
    I just envision the show "Chernobyl" on HBO and the clean up they went through. If you have seen the show, you know what part I am talking about...

from the city press release/story

https://www.okc.gov/Home/Components/...ce=govdelivery

Economic development funds could be leveraged for MAPS 4 Multipurpose Stadium
    Post Date:01/02/2024 1:03 PM
    On Jan. 4, the Downtown TIF Review Committee will consider using economic development funds to increase the budget for the MAPS 4 Multipurpose Stadium from $41 million to $71 million.

The proposal is contingent on the multipurpose stadium being located downtown where an additional $30 million in Tax Increment Financing (TIF) and other economic development funds could pay for a portion of the stadium’s construction costs.

The proposal will be considered by the Oklahoma City Oklahoma City Economic Development Trust on Jan. 5 and City Council on Jan. 16.

Property under contract

OKC Energy FC Ownership is under contract to purchase an area of undeveloped property south of Bricktown and east of the Oklahoma City Convention Center from the Producers Downtown Development, LLC. The ownership group plans to donate 7.2 acres of the area to the City for the stadium, which the City will own.

OKC Energy FC Ownership plans to develop the remaining area into a sports-centered entertainment district.

The land donation is dependent on approval from the MAPS 4 Venues Subcommittee and the MAPS 4 Citizens Advisory Board, which could take place in early spring.

Stadium details

The stadium design includes a United States Soccer Federation (USSF)-approved pitch, seating for approximately 8,000 guests, locker rooms and suites. The venue is expected to drive the development of a sports-centered entertainment district downtown, a model that has proven to be successful in Louisville, Kentucky, and Indianapolis, Indiana. A similar project is under construction in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.

The venue will be the City’s only stadium with a USSF-approved pitch to accommodate professional men’s and women’s soccer. When the area develops, visitors will be able to walk from restaurants, retail and housing to attend events in the new entertainment district.

Quote Originally Posted by cornhusker740 View Post
    Werner Park in Omaha hosts the Storm Chasers (AAA baseball) and a USL soccer team so it's not totally unheard of.
    Yep. I believe the following list of US soccer teams that play in baseball stadiums is still accurate:

USL
    Albuquerque
    El Paso
    Reno
    Harrisburg
    Tulsa
    Fresno
    Las Vegas

MLS
    NYCFC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    SO what you guys are telling me is 9 acres of stadium and 25 acres of parking surface. Nice!
    I'm guessing you haven't read the articles and the quotes about further development.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    What in the world is going on here???

Holt openly admits there was no budget for land acquisition. So at a minimum the plan was to have someone donate premium land in the downtown vicinity. That part is fact.

Now on the side of speculation what was being discussed behind the scenes? Going into it knowing you were gonna get free land leads me to believe that would always accompany a development opportunity at little to no cost.

I’m pumped that the city is moving these developments along and we’re pushing forward for growth. At the same time
    I’m jealous I’m not a major developer in OKC right now with 1% wealth. It appears as though having the right connections can present a sweetheart deal at the burden of tax payers. Which we’re passing this stuff with an overwhelming majority in approval so good for all of us…. I think

16. Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

I LOVE that Funk is already anticipating building parking garage(s) to accommodate this, rather than the usual sea of parking developers often build around stadiums. That itself indicates to me that they're serious about the entire site not just the 9 acres. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

17. Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

I was in Kansas City last week and we took a drive over the river to see the new Women's Soccer Stadium. It is supposed to open this year and it looks similar to the one we are proposing. It's initial cost was $70 million.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kc-stadium_sq-2875fff09760eb795f3cbbc65293d19a74baa9ad.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	381.7 KB 
ID:	18553

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOKC View Post

Holt openly admits there was no budget for land acquisition. So at a minimum the plan was to have someone donate premium land in the downtown vicinity. That part is fact.

Now on the side of speculation what was being discussed behind the scenes? Going into it knowing you were gonna get free land leads me to believe that would always accompany a development opportunity at little to no cost.

I’m pumped that the city is moving these developments along and we’re pushing forward for growth. At the same time
    I’m jealous I’m not a major developer in OKC right now with 1% wealth. It appears as though having the right connections can present a sweetheart deal at the burden of tax payers. Which we’re passing this stuff with an overwhelming majority in approval so good for all of us…. I think
    Eh, I'd rather the city not try to buy land that is in horrible shape, well below the surface, and then have to remedy it before selling. I get that nothing is donated for free anymore, but it feels like a great outcome for all.

Regarding the remediation of the site, my understanding is that won't need to happen for an open-air stadium.

Regarding the remediation of the site, my understanding is that won't need to happen for an open-air stadium.
    37 total acres. 9 acres for the stadium. I am guessing two acres for a parking garage. That leaves 26 acres for development. If there is commercial (not hotel or apartments/condos), that wouldn't need as much in the way of remediation, correct?

Below is a link to a proposal by the state in Sep ‘23 to sample the site to collect data for remediation. The contaminants of concern are volatile organic compounds and total petroleum hydrocarbons which are very broad categories that can include something as innocuous as WD-40 to a carcinogen such as benzene or any hydrocarbon in between. The state must not be too concerned because on page 2 it states that 1) all contaminated soils will be disposed of in the OKC landfill and 2) respirators are not listed as required personal protective equipment. When will the sampling take place, no date is given.

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...ion%20plan.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOKC View Post

no the plan was to put it on city owned land

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    no the plan was to put it on city owned land
    Or to work out a deal with the Chickasaws for OKANA or another developer, like the Funks/Coop.

Not a typical MAPS project where there is a committee, they work on a location, etc. The committee for this project hasn't even met -- at least publically.

Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    Below is a link to a proposal by the state in Sep ‘23 to sample the site to collect data for remediation. The contaminants of concern are volatile organic compounds and total petroleum hydrocarbons which are very broad categories that can include something as innocuous as WD-40 to a carcinogen such as benzene or any hydrocarbon in between. The state must not be too concerned because on page 2 it states that 1) all contaminated soils will be disposed of in the OKC landfill and 2) respirators are not listed as required personal protective equipment. When will the sampling take place, no date is given.

https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...ion%20plan.pdf
    So the state issues a report speculating as to what contaniments are buried at this site. They have not done any testing to get specifics. Yet the state has the audacity to say contaniments can be dumped in a landfill. Also without knowing specifics they claim respirators will not be required safety equipment.
    2 words come to mind, "Imagine that"!

25. Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

I believe you're correct. I have a mental block when I read "remediation". I was the Facilities Manager for Kerr-McGee R&D during the final years of the plutonium plant clean up which R&D was made responsible for. It was a losing sleep level nightmare which I would not wish on my worst enemy. But that was NRC rules and they are ridiculously stringent. The EPA, who I also had to deal with, is much more reasonable.

Thread Information