Widgets Magazine
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: MAPS 4 Stadium

1. Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

And hopefully better built than the expressway overpass- HA!

Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

What a joke. It takes a huge public subsidy to make this economically feasible. Put in Strawberry Fields, Farmers Market or Wheeler Park

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If indeed the stadium goes on the co-op site, it will be interesting to see how it is connected to Bricktown.

As it stands, the separator is a busy and wide OKC Boulevard and even then you have to traverse a lot of surface parking just to get past the back of the theater and the Uhaul facility.

Eventually, some sort of decent pedestrian connection will need to be constructed.
    I’m thinking canal extension with walkways going under OKC BLVD

A bit biased here but the spuds stadium isn't the best in that area. The Emirates (opened in 2006 ~$1M #s) is within walking distance is as nice or nicer than that hovel.😀 Also, their new stadium opened in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergooner View Post
    A bit biased here but the spuds stadium isn't the best in that area. The Emirates (opened in 2006 ~$1M #s) is within walking distance is as nice or nicer than that hovel.�� Also, their new stadium opened in 2019.
    Have you been to the Emirates in person?

I've been to Highbury a couple of times. Also Anfield, but that was not my idea!

Have you been to the Emirates in person?

I've been to Highbury a couple of times. Also Anfield, but that was not my idea!
    Ya, Highbury and Emirates. Have enjoyed soccer since middle 80's coaching up the kids from a position of complete ignorance. Would love to see the sport blow up and need a 65k seat stadium downtown but the numbers are not with us. London has and supports probably 6-7 teams near the spuds and numerous smaller. That is where OKC is right now IMHO. I have long supported a south side city stadium 10-20k and see if that seed would continue to grow.

my first impression is they could make a grand, main entrance and fan zone on the east side of the site across the canal from the centenial land run monument and another north end entrance adjacent to okc blvd and adjust the road to make it pedestrian friendly along the stadium site.

If indeed the stadium goes on the co-op site, it will be interesting to see how it is connected to Bricktown.

As it stands, the separator is a busy and wide OKC Boulevard and even then you have to traverse a lot of surface parking just to get past the back of the theater and the Uhaul facility.

Eventually, some sort of decent pedestrian connection will need to be constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergooner View Post
    A bit biased here but the spuds stadium isn't the best in that area. The Emirates (opened in 2006 ~$1M #s) is within walking distance is as nice or nicer than that hovel.😀 Also, their new stadium opened in 2019.
    Sorry for continuing to go off-topic, but as someone who's toured both and has been to games at the Emirates, TH Stadium, and Wembley, TH Stadium is by far the best of the three by a mile.

New stadium to be located south of Bricktown

At the end of December, the City Council was briefed on the intention to place the new MAPS 4 multi-purpose stadium on the former site of the Producer’s Coop just south of Bricktown.

Notes obtained by OKCTalk show the intention to add $30 million to the original stadium budget of $41 million. $20 million would come from tax increment financing (TIF) and $10 million would be derived from funds generated by the Omni Hotel deal with the City.

The $71 million total budget would allow for several improvements from the base $41 million, such as increasing capacity from 8,000 to 10,000 and adding shade structures.

FC Energy, Oklahoma City’s professional soccer team, has suspended operations due to a lack of an adequate stadium. The Energy would be the primary tenant once the facility is completed.

The facility would also be suitable for professional and college soccer, high school football and soccer, concerts, and other events. Oklahoma City is believed to be the only top 50 city without access to a multi-purpose stadium suitable for such events.

The design of the stadium would allow for future expansion.

The location discussed in the meeting is the site of the old Producer’s Coop cotton seed mill, which was demolished several years ago. The larger plan for the 34-acre parcel would include surrounding housing, retail, and restaurants.

The new stadium is currently scheduled for a 2027 completion.

The project would be in addition to the new $1 billion arena which will likely be on the site of the old Cox Center. Located between the arena and the proposed stadium, the massive Boardwalk at Bricktown hopes to start work later this year.

Yes perfect location!!

Good location and I'm very, very happy about the shade structures.

I love the location, but I hope their will be private housing, retail, and other mixed-use development around it!

Those shade structures are much needed, so I'm glad they are present!

Where in the world are the getting the money to acquire the land?

Great news! OKC could use a small bowl game or 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I presume that is included in the $71 million budget.

Blog Entries

MAPS4 Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

Go ahead and build the MAPS 4 multipurpose stadium to seat 20,000 or more. It will open up opportunities to attract more event nights.

The lower level seats 8,000. If the city could build the stadium to three levels to completely encircle the field, it could provide
    more than 20,000 seats in an ideal location with parking available within a quarter mile.

Let's fast-track the stadium's construction to coincide with opening of the new DT arena.

Maybe Paycom is sitting on it? Of course, the city is going to run out of land to give out if Cox site doesn't work out.

It appears the Coop group is donating the land.

No doubt to finally jump-start their development.

Great, even more reason for Mazaheri to sit on the Lumberyard property and use it as parking, smh.

It appears the Coop group is donating the land.

No doubt to finally jump-start their development.
    That definitely makes sense for them, and getting a $71M investment from the city to draw people into the area is a huge win.

Does this also mean the group is taking it on the chin for the site cleanup? I get the feeling the initial site selection discussions for the Arena probably drummed up a new way of thinking for the owners. They may have made a run at trying to secure the arena on the site thinking this could be a backup?

The cleanup requirements is not as cumbersome if there will be no residential units in the development.

I know renderings are useless at this point. And I know my opinion doesn't mean anything. But every rendering I've seen shows a U-shaped stadium with one endzone open. IMHO this is an idea from the 90's-early 2000's that has already gone away. The MLS 2.0 stadiums (FC Dallas, Columbus Crew, Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake, Chicago Fire) were all built around the same time, and all had this same configuration, more or less. The idea was to have a "soccer specific" stadium that could also be used for concerts. Columbus has already built a new, fully-enclosed stadium. Chicago moved back to Soldier Field. Having been to many of the MLS stadia, IMHO Colorado and FC Dallas have the least atmosphere of any I've been to. There are other factors in play, as well, but a LOT of that I attribute to the empty endzone at both. It looks like a stadium where soccer is played, but NOT a soccer stadium.
    Since then, except for SJ Earthquakes outdoor bar that they built, EVERY new MLS stadium is a fully-enclosed structure that actually looks like a proper stadium. Anyway, that's just my opinion. Which, I admit, doesn't mean much.

Here is Lackmeyer's story with quotes from Funk and Holt. Appears Funk/Energy are buying the land and donating it to the city for the stadium.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...g/71991914007/

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    I know renderings are useless at this point. And I know my opinion doesn't mean anything. But every rendering I've seen shows a U-shaped stadium with one endzone open. IMHO this is an idea from the 90's-early 2000's that has already gone away. The MLS 2.0 stadiums (FC Dallas, Columbus Crew, Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake, Chicago Fire) were all built around the same time, and all had this same configuration, more or less. The idea was to have a "soccer specific" stadium that could also be used for concerts. Columbus has already built a new, fully-enclosed stadium. Chicago moved back to Soldier Field. Having been to many of the MLS stadia, IMHO Colorado and FC Dallas have the least atmosphere of any I've been to. There are other factors in play, as well, but a LOT of that I attribute to the empty endzone at both. It looks like a stadium where soccer is played, but NOT a soccer stadium.
    Since then, except for SJ Earthquakes outdoor bar that they built, EVERY new MLS stadium is a fully-enclosed structure that actually looks like a proper stadium. Anyway, that's just my opinion. Which, I admit, doesn't mean much.
    I agree with wanting a fully enclosed stadium but they cite Lynn Family Stadium in Louisville as an inspiration and that's the definition of a U-shaped stadium. Guess it'll just depend on cost in the end.

Wonder how long it will take the surrounding land to be developed?

Thread Information