Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: MAPS 4 Stadium

Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    That stat you quoted from Bloomberg about 18-34 year olds is not Americans but from 18 world areas. The chart that is contained in the article listing interest in various countries does not even list USA. I have been hearing how soccer is the next big thing since the 1970's when Pele signed with the NY Cosmos. That's 40 years ago and that same story is still being pedaled.
    Apparently you didn't scroll down to the chart with the header: "Soccer in the USA"

I know many people may not want to hear this but I am a firm believer in developing the infrastructure for growth. I applaud the presentation for the stadium, but i personally, think they should request more money for the land, stadium, & infrastructure that invites commercial growth. That includes but is not limited to walking paths, Riverwalk extension, and planned commercial pod sites with utilities and roads. A good example is the GrandScape development in Frisco/Colony ,TX.

If the stadium is large enough to host other events (probably need false turf then) then I may be more in support. Getting large outdoor concerts and music festivals in OKC would be a big positive in my eyes. The Zoo is nice, but something more official where you can really get a large stage would be excellent. At 15-20,000 capacity, you can score some major shows.

I hope it would not be a pop-up either. It will be a regression from Taft.
    Taft would be fine if the field was not too small like all the football HS stadium.

If a stadium is built, please put a canopy\roof over the stand ! Keep the spectator out of the rain and scorching sun would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    If the stadium is large enough to host other events (probably need false turf then) then I may be more in support. Getting large outdoor concerts and music festivals in OKC would be a big positive in my eyes. The Zoo is nice, but something more official where you can really get a large stage would be excellent. At 15-20,000 capacity, you can score some major shows.
    like what is planned at the new Park ...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    like what is planned at the new Park ...
    Not really. Comparing a large grassy area where you would have to construct fencing and other infrastructure for a paid event to a venue that already has all that in place isn't the same.

Now if you're talking about free festivals and other events that don't need that kind of thing, that's something else.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    Not really. Comparing a large grassy area where you would have to construct fencing and other infrastructure for a paid event to a venue that already has all that in place isn't the same.

Now if you're talking about free festivals and other events that don't need that kind of thing, that's something else.
    the grand lawn and the stage are designed to host 15000+ paid concerts

the grand lawn and the stage are designed to host 15000+ paid concerts
    I'm aware of the proposed capacity but if I were a promoter, I'd rather hold an event that has infrastructure in place for restrooms, concessions, etc. for that capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    That stat you quoted from Bloomberg about 18-34 year olds is not Americans but from 18 world areas. The chart that is contained in the article listing interest in various countries does not even list USA. I have been hearing how soccer is the next big thing since the 1970's when Pele signed with the NY Cosmos. That's 40 years ago and that same story is still being pedaled.
    As a white man around age 60 I share your memory of soccer's failure to take hold in the US over the last 40 plus years. And I think white men over 50 will hold close to the opinion that soccer is going nowhere. But I think as OKC continues going browner and younger a soccer stadium will show itself to be a wise investment.

Just a quick thought here. Vince McMahon, owner of the WWE is really really REALLY gearing up for the XFL. The XFL has made some BIG time hires for coaches and GMS. Also, the AAF has been doing better than expected. I really don't see both leagues making it once the XFL starts up next year. But what I could see happening is the XFL and AAF merging. Vince McMahon is going all in with this version of the XFL and I actually think it will be pretty damn successful. And BOTH leagues have talked about expansion and including OKC in that expansion.

Point of that being, I am okay with a MAPS 4 Stadium, bit I want it bigger immediately. I want it ready to go to host XFL/AAF games and while we're at it, grab a College Bowl Game.

That would mean it would be host to all the Energy home games, the OKC expansion in the XFL/AAF teams home games and a college bowl game. So that's a guaranteed use of something like 25 times a year? Plus various concerts and what have you.

I'd love to see them alter this to hold closer to 35/40k people right out of the bag with the ability to expand later. The bigger the stadium, the better the prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Just a quick thought here. Vince McMahon, owner of the WWE is really really REALLY gearing up for the XFL. The XFL has made some BIG time hires for coaches and GMS. Also, the AAF has been doing better than expected. I really don't see both leagues making it once the XFL starts up next year. But what I could see happening is the XFL and AAF merging. Vince McMahon is going all in with this version of the XFL and I actually think it will be pretty damn successful. And BOTH leagues have talked about expansion and including OKC in that expansion.

Point of that being, I am okay with a MAPS 4 Stadium, bit I want it bigger immediately. I want it ready to go to host XFL/AAF games and while we're at it, grab a College Bowl Game.

That would mean it would be host to all the Energy home games, the OKC expansion in the XFL/AAF teams home games and a college bowl game. So that's a guaranteed use of something like 25 times a year? Plus various concerts and what have you.

I'd love to see them alter this to hold closer to 35/40k people right out of the bag with the ability to expand later. The bigger the stadium, the better the prospects.
    what they are proposing for MAPS 4 is not big enough for the XFL or for a bowl game ..

what they are proposing for MAPS 4 is not big enough for the XFL or for a bowl game ..
    Yes, I know. Hence my last paragraph saying I'd love to see this built with a capacity of around 40k immediately.

Edit: Since this is tabbed for MAPS, what would the realistic cost be of making this a 40k seat Stadium? Double? $350 million? I'd still MUCH rather approve a 40k (or more) seat Stadium than this.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

We don't know how successful any of these football leagues will be; agree with Colbafone, OKC needs to be in a position to have a venue with the seating capacity to host MLS, XFL or AAF.

The XFL will start out in most NFL markets and former NFL markets. There will be relocation, XFL has the best chance of survival because of McMahon's financial backing and access to national TV.

As with the NBA, we had to invest more funds in The Peake or the Thunder wouldn't be here today.

Keep our fingers crossed; let's see what other projects will be on the MAPS 4; please continue to submit your ideas: https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-4

Blog Entries

This riverfront stadium in Waco, Texas (Baylor University) cost $266 million; seats 45,140, took 2 years to build (Populous, 2013). The lower bowl could serve the immediate needs of the OKC Energy FC, accommodate MLS, XFL, AAF or FFL and some NFL exhibition games.

It will take many projects and side developments to cement OKC into a reputable big league city. IMO OKC is where Charlotte was in the early 90s.

Yes, I know. Hence my last paragraph saying I'd love to see this built with a capacity of around 40k immediately.

Edit: Since this is tabbed for MAPS, what would the realistic cost be of making this a 40k seat Stadium? Double? $350 million? I'd still MUCH rather approve a 40k (or more) seat Stadium than this.
    Prob close to a billion for a state of the art 40k stadium. It would take a full maps to get this done IMO. Of course they could cheap out and build an out of date or scaled down stadium much cheaper. I know Stl proposed to build a 60k seat stadium to keep the rams and it was going to cost somewhere around 1.3 billion a few years ago from renderings and estimates from Populous or HKS can't remember which one.

MAPS for Stadium and nothing else would be a good way to ruin the brand forever. The best bet for this would be 100m or less and keep it part of a larger, diverse package.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    MAPS for Stadium and nothing else would be a good way to ruin the brand forever. The best bet for this would be 100m or less and keep it part of a larger, diverse package.
    It's going to be a hard nut to crack to spend 100 mil.+ for minor league soccer stadium. I just don't think that many folks are interested in doing that. Most people look at soccer as a childs game played in local parks.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    It's going to be a hard nut to crack to spend 100 mil.+ for minor league soccer stadium. I just don't think that many folks are interested in doing that. Most people look at soccer as a childs game played in local parks.
    Calling it a "minor league soccer stadium" does the proposed stadium a disservice. The Energy would likely be the primary tenant, but as mentioned in this thread, the stadium would be sized to accommodate other sports leagues like the XFL/AAL, the OKC rugby team (their name escapes me at the moment), and it could even be used for high school sports (championships, etc), concerts, etc. This facility is designed as a multipurpose venue, not just a soccer stadium.

Blog Entries

Freedom Football League (FFL)? Baralheia

Prob close to a billion for a state of the art 40k stadium. It would take a full maps to get this done IMO. Of course they could cheap out and build an out of date or scaled down stadium much cheaper. I know Stl proposed to build a 60k seat stadium to keep the rams and it was going to cost somewhere around 1.3 billion a few years ago from renderings and estimates from Populous or HKS can't remember which one.
    OKCRT are you talking about this project: https://www.athleticbusiness.com/sta...l-stadium.html

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Agree, that's the route Mayor Holt's group has taken. OU's Gaylord Memorial Stadium could act as a temporary home for something like the XFL; OU made it clear (USFL Oklahoma Outlaws) they didn't want to share their stadium long-term with a pro football team; they were willing to do it on an interim basis provided OKC built a stadium; unfortunately we had no plans. A two-tier 25,000-30,000-seat outdoor venue (without all the bells & whistles) can be built on a $100 million budget.

MAPS Brand will be ruined if YOU DON'T SUBMIT YOUR IDEAS and you don't vote; it doesn't get passed. https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-4

If an MLS soccer franchise comes to fruition; there will be a funding avenue to expand a 10,000-seat stadium that could immediately accommodate 15,000 max with risers/temporary seating and the grassy area. The stadium above has the costly infrastructure foundation elements' doubling the seating capacity to 20,000 or more wouldn't be that expensive.

OKC has something unique that is the envy of many U. S. cities where you build projects debt free. This frees up money for operational expenses. Also, our city has an opportunity to build a stadium that could be partially funded by naming-rights as long as we don't give away the 'naming rights revenue as we did with the Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Calling it a "minor league soccer stadium" does the proposed stadium a disservice. The Energy would likely be the primary tenant, but as mentioned in this thread, the stadium would be sized to accommodate other sports leagues like the XFL/AAL, the OKC rugby team (their name escapes me at the moment), and it could even be used for high school sports (championships, etc), concerts, etc. This facility is designed as a multipurpose venue, not just a soccer stadium.
    OKC Crusaders is the rugby team you speak of. Also, Tulsa Rugby has plans to build a new stadium on the river. We can't let Tulsa beat out OKC as the top team in OK!

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Freedom Football League (FFL)? Baralheia

OKCRT are you talking about this project: https://www.athleticbusiness.com/sta...l-stadium.html

Agree, that's the route Mayor Holt's group has taken. OU's Gaylord Memorial Stadium could act as a temporary home for something like the XFL; OU made it clear (USFL Oklahoma Outlaws) they didn't want to share their stadium long-term with a pro football team; they were willing to do it on an interim basis provided OKC built a stadium; unfortunately we had no plans. A two-tier 25,000-30,000-seat outdoor venue (without all the bells & whistles) can be built on a $100 million budget.

MAPS Brand will be ruined if YOU DON'T SUBMIT YOUR IDEAS and you don't vote; it doesn't get passed. https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-4

If an MLS soccer franchise comes to fruition; there will be a funding avenue to expand a 10,000-seat stadium that could immediately accommodate 15,000 max with risers/temporary seating and the grassy area. The stadium above has the costly infrastructure foundation elements' doubling the seating capacity to 20,000 or more wouldn't be that expensive.

OKC has something unique that is the envy of many U. S. cities where you build projects debt free. This frees up money for operational expenses. Also, our city has an opportunity to build a stadium that could be partially funded by naming-rights as long as we don't give away the 'naming rights revenue as we did with the Thunder.
    Keep looking further and you will see costs were up to 1.3 billion on the proposed Stl stadium. The article you posted was initial costs which were way short of the realistic number. For more realistic numbers look at the recent Minny and Atlanta stadiums. When they are proposing these stadiums the initial number is always the low end. Look at the stadium Kroenke is building in La. It started as 1.8 billion. look at the realistic number now. It's blowing past 3 billion. The smaller 20k seat stadium Enterprise folks are building for MLS in Stl. is costing around 250 mil. and it will prob. go higher. If OKC builds a stadium for 100 mil. it will not compare with these new MLS stadiums being proposed or built at over twice the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

This riverfront stadium in Waco, Texas (Baylor University) cost $266 million; seats 45,140, took 2 years to build (Populous, 2013). The lower bowl could serve the immediate needs of the OKC Energy FC, accommodate MLS, XFL, AAF or FFL and some NFL exhibition games.

It will take many projects and side developments to cement OKC into a reputable big league city. IMO OKC is where Charlotte was in the early 90s.
    This. I want this. This is only about double the Funk proposal and MUCH nicer and better. This could fetch an XFL franchise. Keep in mind the XFL will be televised nationally on a major network and likely the WWE network. That's a lot of eyes on OKC.

To me, if we can get something like that in Waco here in OKC, for less than $300 mil we NEED to do it (assuming we are building a large Stadium at all, of course) . The poster above me mentioned stadiums in excess of $1 billion. Costs are rising on this stuff. Granted those stadiums are the absolute PINNACLE of stadiums. They're competing with Jerry Jones for Superbowls and Wrestlemanias and the like, which anything we will build will not be.

So, a nice 40k seat Stadium for around $250 mil seems 100% feasible. I personally don't think we should settle on 10k capacity for $100 mil. Let's nail it NOW. Let's keep aiming for the big leagues. MLS and nationally televised XFL. Even should the XFL fold, we still would have a beautiful Stadium to lure someone and something, on top of a likely MLS team.

Blog Entries

This. I want this. This is only about double the Funk proposal and MUCH nicer and better. This could fetch an XFL franchise. Keep in mind the XFL will be televised nationally on a major network and likely the WWE network. That's a lot of eyes on OKC.

To me, if we can get something like that in Waco here in OKC, for less than $300 mil we NEED to do it (assuming we are building a large Stadium at all, of course) . The poster above me mentioned stadiums in excess of $1 billion. Costs are rising on this stuff. Granted those stadiums are the absolute PINNACLE of stadiums. They're competing with Jerry Jones for Superbowls and Wrestlemanias and the like, which anything we will build will not be.

So, a nice 40k seat Stadium for around $250 mil seems 100% feasible. I personally don't think we should settle on 10k capacity for $100 mil. Let's nail it NOW. Let's keep aiming for the big leagues. MLS and nationally televised XFL. Even should the XFL fold, we still would have a beautiful Stadium to lure someone and something, on top of a likely MLS team.
    We understand that many don't like Energy FC as an organization run by Funk Sr.Jr.; it has gotten better with McLaughlin's partnership. It's not going to cost that much more to build a 40,000-seat MLS soccer stadium. Toronto will expand their MLS soccer specific stadium to accommodate 30,000. It will be the MLS' largest soccer specific stadium when completed:

We're not talking about an NFL Pinnacle stadium (as Colbafone mentioned) like Seattle's Century Link Field opened in 2002 at a cost of $480 million ($599 million in today's US dollars), host both NFL and MLS soccer.

A venue built to host multiple sports & events will be a valuable facility to the our community.

Stadium costs have skyrocketed much more than inflation. Jerry Jones built for a little over 1 billion. They couldn't touch that in todays world. Prob well over 2 billion. Even 20k seat arenas costing up around the billion mark today. Sure you could build bare bones on the cheaper end and then end up needing upgrade after upgrade down the road. You gotta pay to play in the stadium game. They are not cheap. And they are not used as an everyday money maker. The stadium that's being built in Vegas is going to come in around 1.8-2 billion and that doesn't account for the land. If they are talking about building a 20k seat stadium here for 100 mil. that is gonna be a cheap bare bones type of deal IMO. And if you are going to build downtown OKC I would hope that would be something special.

Stadium costs have skyrocketed much more than inflation. Jerry Jones built for a little over 1 billion. They couldn't touch that in todays world. Prob well over 2 billion. Even 20k seat arenas costing up around the billion mark today. Sure you could build bare bones on the cheaper end and then end up needing upgrade after upgrade down the road. You gotta pay to play in the stadium game. They are not cheap. And they are not used as an everyday money maker. The stadium that's being built in Vegas is going to come in around 1.8-2 billion and that doesn't account for the land. If they are talking about building a 20k seat stadium here for 100 mil. that is gonna be a cheap bare bones type of deal IMO. And if you are going to build downtown OKC I would hope that would be something special.
    You're totally right, except that you are comparing what OKC COULD build to the most state of the art big time stadiums in the world.

Instead, compare it to college stadiums. Outside of places like Kyle Field with Texas A&M and OU and the upper tier, those stadiums are all akin to Baylor. 40/50k seats for around $300 million. That's WAY more apropos to what OKC could do than comparing it to an NFL franchise's new stadium.

Thread Information