Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: MAPS 4 Stadium

Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

Why not down by the Stockyards on that large plot of land behind the FedEx ground building on 15th? It’s right by a potential future rail corridor as well.

Also where in the Farmers Market could this go?

Blog Entries

Probably they'll initiate eminent domain and spend bunches of money before realizing what we already knew about the asking price and dropping the case and picking another site....

Blog Entries

MAPS4 Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I have a feeling the city will go after the COOP site first then realize its just not financially possible to do that. Similar to what happened with the Ford site. The owners will just sit on it until some distant point in the future.
    Rightfully so, exhaust all options:

Farmers Market. Land west of Classen and just north of I-40.
    Wheeler Park. Currently owned by the city.
    Producers Coop. Just south of Bricktown.

OKC now has a stadium framework that will allow for future expansion. Available infrastructure, like potential parking should be considered, stadium expansion and road accessibility to and from the stadium need to be apart of the blueprint. Also, considering our weather, lets not rule out a future roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Why not down by the Stockyards on that large plot of land behind the FedEx ground building on 15th? It’s right by a potential future rail corridor as well.

Also where in the Farmers Market could this go?
    Farmers Market site is the (mostly) vacant lot bounded by Exchange, SW 3rd, Western, and I-40

This shows the possible locations:

I could be satisfied with any of those locations but have the stadium near the Arena and the Ballpark make a nice trio...

I am on board with the other posters advocating for Farmers Market. Not because I think the COOP is a worse location, but because the COOP choice allows cheap parking solution that we all know will last our lifetimes.

I am guessing the apartments planned for that Farmers Market lot is dead?

^

There has been no more movement on the Farmers Market apartments.

Could simply be that they are working both deals until the stadium site is decided.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I am on board with the other posters advocating for Farmers Market. Not because I think the COOP is a worse location, but because the COOP choice allows cheap parking solution that we all know will last our lifetimes.

I am guessing the apartments planned for that Farmers Market lot is dead?
    Seems like if there was a commitment to build structured parking on the NW corner of the COOP site, with bottom floor retail, it would serve to provide parking for the Chesapeake, the baseball stadium, and the soccer/all purpose stadium. That would allow the parking east of the current baseball park to be developed in smart mixed-use with lots of residential.

A parking structure abutting the boulevard would exit traffic quickly onto the boulevard and out to the interstates also.

This placement would put the parking structure and the stadium within a couple blocks of the streetcar, as well.

Let's build the stadium at the fairgrounds, plenty of parking and cheap land. We could use it as a horse facility like the new arena. That is apparently what the fair board wants. We could have a big rodeo at the new soccer stadium.

Blog Entries

The argument against this has been that there's no restaurants or bars in the immediate vicinity. I don't object, myself, and my preference is still to demo Crossroads Mall and put it there. But I realize that's not an option and we're down to three choices. Farmer's Market remains my choice of those.

I wish the Farmer's Market site was just a couple of acres bigger... IMO that area has some old properties that have character and could be brought back to life really creating a spark in that area. Its location is solid and would give good access to S OKC, Wheeler, Strawberry Fields, and the Classen area. Decent arterials and secondaries that would move traffic.

I think this thing is going to end up at the Producer's site.

Blog Entries

Wanting the spark for the area is exactly why I want this there. The Coop area will spark a different kind of development (with the right spark), which we also need, but I don't think a stadium (wrong spark) is the way to go about it because parking is the thing it will spark right away and we'll be dealing with that for YEARS. FM benefits far more near term than Coop does.

14. Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Wanting the spark for the area is exactly why I want this there. The Coop area will spark a different kind of development (with the right spark), which we also need, but I don't think a stadium (wrong spark) is the way to go about it because parking is the thing it will spark right away and we'll be dealing with that for YEARS. FM benefits far more near term than Coop does.
    I disagree with this a bit. Being next to all the Bricktown bars and restaurants is what will draw people in and make the game day experience that much better. Game day parking can get absorbed into all the bricktown parking that is already in place, similar to thunder games.

Blog Entries

I would absolutely love it if only a stadium was built with no additional parking. But you know darned well that the stadium folks will demand their own parking.

and my preference is still to demo Crossroads Mall and put it there. But I realize that's not an option and we're down to three choices.
    i mean this would have been a perfect spot for a soccer stadium. no doubt about it, and a huge missed opportunity to use this location

I would absolutely love it if only a stadium was built with no additional parking. But you know darned well that the stadium folks will demand their own parking.
    I could be wrong but that would no doubt ensure a lower attendance. You have to build parking but it needs to be done right. If placed in COOP no doubt it will be a giant surface lot.

Blog Entries

Marina Auto Stadium, Rochester, NY

Broke ground: July 9, 2004 - Opened - June 3, 2006, Owner: City of Rochester
    Construction cost: $35 million Architect HOK Sport
    Capacity: 13,768, Record attendance: 15,404 (July 20, 2011

Former home to the Rochester Rhinos, (November 2017), the team announced that they would not play in 2018 while additional funding was sought. In August 2018, it was announced that the club would pursue a new stadium location and attempt to join USL League One.

Oklahoma City should use a blueprint similar to Rochester's stadium 12,500 - 14,000 seating capacity. A second upper level could be constructed putting us closer to the 18,000 to 20,000 seating capacity range. A venue this size (13,800) would allow OKC to competitively bid on numerous events.

A $35 million stadium (Marina Auto Stadium) built in 2006 would cost $45.5 million to build in U. S. dollars in 2022. [Formula: $100 in 2006, inflation in 2022 = $129.75]

19. Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

If the City were Smart, it would track down the Wheeler Heirs, pay them to waive the alcohol covenants, cap the highway with parks / mixed use developments from S. Western to S. Robinson, and build the Stadium in Wheeler Park.

Would be a total game changer. Way better than the Coop.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOfTheVillage View Post
    If the City were Smart, it would track down the Wheeler Heirs, pay them to waive the alcohol covenants, cap the highway with parks / mixed use developments from S. Western to S. Robinson, and build the Stadium in Wheeler Park.

Would be a total game changer. Way better than the Coop.
    I believe capping the freeway will be more expensive than the cost of the P Coop land. Why should we develop on top of the freeway while we still have about half of the city to fill? The P Coop site is the best option, build the stadium in the middle, then extend the canal into this area and build mixed-uses along these canals. Hire The Cordish Companies to take care of the job, this is exactly their specialty. Parking concern? Walking is good for your help and for the city economy.

Definitely should go to the Farmer's Market. Fears of it being too far from entertainment districts and other events are not really that big of a deal.

There are actually quite a few similarities between the Farmer's Market and Portland's soccer stadium.

Portland Providence Park:
    Located on the west edge of downtown
    1.5 miles to Moda Center (located next to Oregon Convention Center)
    1.6 miles to Oregon Convention Center (located next to Moda Center)
    1 mile to Pearl District, arguably the heart of bars and restaurants for downtown Portland
    1 mile to CBD

Obviously, Portland has some major differences such as insane densities that go along all of those routes - you don't have to go to the Pearl district to get a drink. Also not to mention the fantastic transit, with a stop at the stadium.

Bricktown, CBD, Convention Center, and Arena are all similar distances from the Farmer's market; however they are all colocated, more or less. Let's not discount the fact that Wheeler District is a walk across the Western Ave Bridge, Film Row (which has had some pretty good momentum recently) is just a few blocks away, the Plaza district is 1.5 miles away, and Midtown is an easy trip up Classen Blvd. Having an anchor centrally located to several options makes downtown just that much better, while also still retaining ease of access for those who do not wish to patronize downtown.

Is there a sense on when the final site will be selected? Is it weeks, months, another year or two?

Quote Originally Posted by twade View Post
    Is there a sense on when the final site will be selected? Is it weeks, months, another year or two?
    Hard to say because the priority and schedule of the 16 projects have yet to be established.

Every single one of them is lobbying to go early rather than later but some will have to wait, as is always the case.

I would expect the fairgrounds arena to go to the front of the line given their level of influence. Also, beautification because it originated from the mayor himself.

I believe the mayor and the ADG consultants decide the scheduling, which is to say this is really down to the mayor.

Blog Entries

Not sure our city is ready to leapfrog the Multipurpose Stadium ahead of some projects like The Peake/Practice Facility and State Fair Coliseum.

Will say that we have two parks very close together (Wheeler and Wiley Post); since the 30 acres left to complete Lower Scissortail Park is in that area, consideration should be given to building the stadium in Wiley Post or Wheeler Parks and not rule out an area closer to Skydance Bridge. OKC needs to start development moving south of I-40.

Blog Entries

Post Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

BTW: I know its not a good idea to use an existing park to build the multipurpose stadium; however there's more than enough land dedicated to completing Lower Scissortail Park. Wiley Post Park is currently closed with some kind of renovation taking place. The Mat Hoffman Action Park just east of WP is currently in operation.

Anxious to see where they decide to build the stadium. Our city has $140 million in MAPS 4 funds entirely dedicated to improving parks outside our central downtown core.

Thread Information