Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 151617181920

Thread: MAPS 4 Stadium

Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I also don't understand all the animosity towards the Funks. If anybody thinks the Funks need this to make their lives complete or fruitful, or even if they think they will actually make money on it, they are pretty unaware. Soccer in OKC is never going to be a big profit item. This stadium doesn't get them big money or big crowds. They will have to spend 100s of millions of $ to even have a chance to put OKC on the soccer big stage.
    ^^^^^ This! I wish Funk could eloquently say this without coming off pompous and pessimistic about the future of soccer in OKC. It's true. It's got to be difficult to sell the city on the stadium and the future of soccer in OKC while also keeping quiet as to Funk's future expected costs they will suffer.

Also, this particular thread's tendency to revert into anecdotal thoughts on soccer v. other sports is... silly. I wish I could find old threads from pre-Chesapeake days to hear the naysayers discuss the stupidity in building an arena without an NBA/NHL team lined out.

Can the proposed stadium also be cross-purposed for track and field? Special Olympics currently uses UCO, and USATF seems to enjoy having events in middle America. No big revenue stream but families likely to stay in hotels, eat out, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Can the proposed stadium also be cross-purposed for track and field? Special Olympics currently uses UCO, and USATF seems to enjoy having events in middle America. No big revenue stream but families likely to stay in hotels, eat out, etc.
    Not unless you want to make the sightlines awful for the soccer games there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    The trouble with making venues purposed for everything is they become substandard for anything.

5. Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

OU's track and field stadium is large and nice. If they aren't happy with UCO, then they should talk to OU. of course, it probably cost more too because they dont run for free. If they can't afford OU, i bet they wouldn't be able to afford this stadium either.

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    I wish I could find old threads from pre-Chesapeake days to hear the naysayers discuss the stupidity in building an arena without an NBA/NHL team lined out.
    I remember driving down the old I-40 with my college roommate and driving by the "Ford Center" being completed. He went off about how big of a waste of money it was, OKC will never have a pro sports team, we might get bull riding a few concerts a year, but then it will just be used for high school basketball and maybe first round of the tourney. To this day, he denies ever saying it, but I remember.

Thread Information