Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: MAPS 4 Stadium

Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

Before the council agrees to put the stadium in a project plan for MAPS4, they need to demand to know the site and ensure Funk has a signed commitment for access to that land. Otherwise, I fear this is going to turn into a bailout for the Coop site owners who will use the leverage of "not getting the stadium as promised" unless significant city investment is made to remediate the site and/or purchase the land--an "unexpected" cost that will require taking money away from other projects or using the entirety of a reserve fund.

As for the Chuck Wiggins stuff, I'm pretty sure his mid-rise comments and renderings are just there to make the proposal look better overall and get people excited.

Would be super cool IMO if they placed this south of the river.

Encouraged about the discussions.

If the stadium doesn’t go in the coop site, then what is the future outlook of that area? It could sit for years without movement. That worries me

Quote Originally Posted by SagerMichael View Post
    If the stadium doesn’t go in the coop site, then what is the future outlook of that area? It could sit for years without movement. That worries me
    There is nothing else on the horizon.

Their previous efforts have been stopped dead by soil and railroad ROW problems, so it's going to take some big to move things forward.

I like the south of the river idea. I think the staduim should be more about community development. Just seems like it would fit better there.

This would be perfect South of the river and would be transformative for the area. There is a mental block in this city regarding the area south of the river. I am all for the innovation district and the potential impact for the immediate area. However, it is time to do something transformative in South OKC.

Where would everyone want it south of the river? Offer suggestions to those who can make those decisions.

In no particular order: adjacent to the lower section of Central Park possibly west side; between western and walker south of 25th, along exchange to bridge stockyards, farmers market and Capitol Hill, immediately south of boathouses along river. Lots of blighted industrial land with opportunity for reinvestment.

When this was brought up with me, they were looking at siting it on the city-owned Wiley Post Park. That is land framed by the Oklahoma River, Robinson Avenue, Walker avenue, and the Packingtown Lead (Stillwater Central Railroad.)

10. Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

Does anyone know how to get in touch with these folks? I'd like to ask them a question about if they thought about something.

I'd like to see them be able to hose the top high school marching contest too, but they would need to have a path for props to get to the field and it doesnt look like there is one tall enough in this design....but it looks like an easy change from what i can see in the renderings.

South side on the river would could be really cool if it could be made to work. Especially if the idea is to leave it open ended like that. Put that open end on the north side facing the downtown skyline. Incorporate the river as much as possible. And yes, please, shade structure over ALL the seats. The renderings make it look haphazardly covered.

As far as MLS goes, the league has demonstrated time and again that if you're a smaller market expansion candidate (IE not New York or Miami) you HAVE to have a stadium first before you will even be considered. OKC is likely not at all on the MLS expansion radar right now. If a stadium gets built that could change quickly.

Here we are specifically mentioned in an expansion power rankings post from the SKC SBNation blog:

'There are lots of cities without a very active bid like Oklahoma City that would immediately plug in ahead of the bottom few teams if they got serious. It really depends how high MLS Expansion goes. Sporting KC coach Peter Vermes has the number 40 in his head for expansion. If that’s the case, most of the above cities could get in (at least the top eight or nine) and then some new cities would have to emerge.'

https://www.thebluetestament.com/201...egas-san-diego

If this does end up going on top of Wiley Post Park, then I'm really curious as to the future development and infill in the land segment to the west bounded by Walker and Western. Wheeler and OKC split the ownership with just a few parcels taken up by Evans Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    Surface parking lots for 2750 cars? That’s a horrible idea in either location.
    exactly what i was thinking... what would be the cost atleast of a parking garage for 2750 cars??? i'd be more okay with spending more, if it included that

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    exactly what i was thinking... what would be the cost atleast of a parking garage for 2750 cars??? i'd be more okay with spending more, if it included that
    Yeah I'd rather see a massive parking mixed-use parking garage/structured complex built than surface parking.

Yeah, surface parking is a bad idea, I'd support more money for a garage and/or Streetcar extension to the stadium/capitol hill

I could see a mix, but a large sports venue will need a decent amount of surface parking, especially if the hope is to host some state level High School and College events. Bus parking, tailgating, band setup, etc.

Looking at the map, Wiley Post just makes the most sense. Right on the water, access from Walker and Robinson (major thoroughfares) and good to jumpstart more development in the area. Also, being city owned land would be easier to build on as opposed to purchasing from a private party. Add a traffic circle at SE 17th (access to the Mat Hoffman Action Sports Park) and a parking garage south of that with retail frontage on the garage and I would like it.

The stadium idea is growing on me as it is not as expensive as I originally thought it might be,

Blog Entries

Good renderings of the revised MAPS 4 stadium, shows some thought was put into the project with regards to the shades and potential for future expansion.

MAPS 4 will probably include: The Peake, coliseum & stadium, these so called stadium-arena projects will make up about 30% of MAPS 4, not worthy to tag a label on it like MAPS 4 Stadiums, a huge reversal of previous MAPS initiatives. Selection of an option and a site will be the next challenge for a project of this magnitude.

Want to mention that not all of our Latino & Hispanic origin population are located in the older traditional Capitol Hill district, there are pockets of the younger groups located throughout our city.

i remember drawing and sharing this diagram some time ago and still think this would make almost perfect sense.
    i have intentionally been riding the bus lately and i don't think a line of streetcar to the south side is essential because there are two axial routes that stem directly from downtown down into the heart of the south side via walker and robinson. on the proposed site there currently is a small level of light industrial companies settled there but there simply is so much available land and not as expensive as strawberry fields land but still quite close. in my humble opinion mayor holt, bob funk and the maps 4 stadium developers/supporters group should really consider something like this for all the right reasons. for example, many people are commenting the positive effect of building the new stadium south of the river but too far south would defeat the purpose. if the city is to embrace connectivity, diversity, inclusion, redevelopment, urbanism, etc. the core to shore concept is ideal because the river and its downtown urban surrounding is the natural, central gathering place for all the populations of the city scattered throughout the periphery and suburbs. take for example the chesapeake arena during thunder games; people from all around the city and stake gather at that particular place with all the conveniences the urban core of downtown offers accessible. no place outside of downtown is ready to host groups of visitors in the tens of thousands in number.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	core to shore diagram.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	5.62 MB 
ID:	15499

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

Good point, this would keep the venue close enough to Midtown & Bricktown restaurants to make before game activities (tailgating, pre-post game activities) more enjoyable & affordable.

Some surface parking around the stadium won't hurt. If the stadium is on the river (north or south) it will be in the proximity of parking where there won't be a need to build a parking garage.

My personal preference is 15 acres on the old COOP mill site; you're in the vicinity of the convention center garage & surface parking, you can run bus shuttle service to the stadium without too much focus on the streetcar as a people mover.
    Organizers release more information on MAPS 4 multipurpose outdoor stadium:
    https://kfor.com/2019/08/06/organize...tdoor-stadium/

I would support it if they put it south of the river and had a streetcar line to Capitol Hill. I think that proposal would be a winner.

As much as I like the development going on in downtown, I believe the city has to show a commitment to real investment outside of that area with this MAPS. Putting a big centerpiece project like this on the south side (even if it's barely on the south side) would be a statement. Historically the city basically ignores anything south of the river.

This would generate a lot of investment in that area, I think it would be very good for the city.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Looking at the map, Wiley Post just makes the most sense. Right on the water, access from Walker and Robinson (major thoroughfares) and good to jumpstart more development in the area. Also, being city owned land would be easier to build on as opposed to purchasing from a private party. Add a traffic circle at SE 17th (access to the Mat Hoffman Action Sports Park) and a parking garage south of that with retail frontage on the garage and I would like it.

The stadium idea is growing on me as it is not as expensive as I originally thought it might be,
    It's going to be much more expensive than what they are touting all said and done. Their numbers are way lite from start to finished product. Depending on where they want to build and parking and everything else that goes into building this it could be much much more expensive. We are getting the basic numbers from them.

23. Default Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    It's going to be much more expensive than what they are touting all said and done. Their numbers are way lite from start to finished product. Depending on where they want to build and parking and everything else that goes into building this it could be much much more expensive. We are getting the basic numbers from them.
    Seriously asking, based on what? Are you in construction or design?

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: MAPS 4 Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    The construction bids will determine the final costs.

Think of it this way, if it cost more than the option selected and it's presented before voters, they'll have to scale back or abandoned the project--if the project can't move forward, then that money will be absorbed by the remaining MAPS 4 projects or another project moved up. They are not going to risk the MAPS brand in favor of trying to deceive the City or The City surely not trying to deceive the voters. You can bet there will not be an extension vote if MAPS 4 funds fall short.

Oklahoma City MAPS 4 Stadium

Looks very similar to 8,296-seat Toyota Field (pictured below) built in 2013 for $18 million; acquired by the City of San Antonio for $21 million in 2015.

It's not that far-fetched to think that OKC can't build a similar stadium in 2022 (10 years later or beyond) for $60 - $72 million with a seating capacity of 10,000 for 3.5x what it cost to build Toyota Field in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The construction bids will determine the final costs.

Think of it this way, if it cost more than the option selected and it's presented before voters, they'll have to scale back or abandoned the project--if the project can't move forward, then that money will be absorbed by the remaining MAPS 4 projects or another project moved up. They are not going to risk the MAPS brand in favor of trying to deceive the City or The City surely not trying to deceive the voters. You can bet there will not be an extension vote if MAPS 4 funds fall short.

Oklahoma City MAPS 4 Stadium

Looks very similar to 8,296-seat Toyota Field (pictured below) built in 2013 for $18 million; acquired by the City of San Antonio for $21 million in 2015.

It's not that far-fetched to think that OKC can't build a similar stadium in 2022 (10 years later or beyond) for $60 - $72 million with a seating capacity of 10,000 for 3.5x what it cost to build Toyota Field in 2012.
    it shouldn't cost 3.5 to build that same stadium maybe double but not 3.5

Thread Information