Widgets Magazine

Thread: Neighborhood Grocery Stores

Default Neighborhood Grocery Stores

I grew up on Northwest 35th Street near North Pennsylvania Avenue. My father built the home we lived in in 1950.

I was just thinking of all the small, family owned and operated grocery stores near my home.

There was Bridge's Grocery on North Blackwelder Avenue between Northwest 33rd and 34th streets,
    Bash's Grocery which was located on North Florida Avenue between Northwest 32nd and 33rd Streets and Shadid's Grocery which was on North Indiana Avenue between Northwest 37th and 38th Street.

A BIG trip involved driving to Camp's Grocery located on Northwest 25th Street, just west of Classen Boulevard or the I.G.A. located on Northwest 36th Street at North Young Avenue.

Then the Humpty Dumpty and other large super markets moved into the area and the small grocery stores began to disappear.

I also remember being sent to Bridge's Grocery for bread or milk or some other small needed item and signing the sales slip and my father would go every Friday at lunch time and pay the weekly bill.

Great memories and a great place to grow up.

Default Re: Neighborhood Grocery Stores

You may also remember Irene’s bakery that was at 25th & Penn. They made some of the best rye bread this side of Chicago.

Default Re: Neighborhood Grocery Stores

Oh Lord yes! I went to Irene’s several times a week while a student at OCU. Irene’s introduced this small town 19 year old kid to the delights of a fresh hot onion bagel with lox & cream cheese. Irene’s was a mighty fine little establishment.

There was an Italian restaurant, a few blocks north that I’d eat at once or twice a week. Tonys Italian Specialty’s. Fantastic food!

Thread Information