Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun

Default Re: Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    So their FB page says Always Open.... Anyone know if that is correct?
    It's not correct. Only for dinner/late night.

2. Default Re: Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's not correct. Only for dinner/late night.
    That makes more sense although it would be a nice lunch option.... I can definitely stay keto here.

As someone who just visited Japan and loved eating yakitori and gyoza at all of the various izakayas, this is definitely a welcome sight!

4. Default Re: Gun

Got a response back from them on their hours...

Hours
    Tue-Thur 5PM-Midnight
    Fri-Sat 5PM-1AM

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Got a response back from them on their hours...

Hours
    Tue-Thur 5PM-Midnight
    Fri-Sat 5PM-1AM
    Between this place and Red Rooster being open until midnight on Friday & Saturday, Paseo is finally getting some good late-night food spots. One of the two should take the leap and stay open until 2 a.m.

6. Default Re: Gun

I normally stay away from restaurants on opening nights but we decided to hit Gun last night at 5 PM and we weren't disappointed.

Service and food were all great. Only thing I didn't like that we tried was the Kawa... I was expecting it to be crispy but it was chewy... Other than the texture I liked it.

We also tried the Tsukemono, Tokyo Hot Chicken, Pork & Crab Shumai, Tsukune, Buta Hara, and the Okinawan Donuts

Pro tip: There is a little stone shot glass sitting on your table... It's to put your used skewers in. Not to drink your sake out of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YKRB6745[1].JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	493.0 KB 
ID:	15385 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RHCZ4490[1].JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	501.5 KB 
ID:	15386

Name:	IMMG5885[1].JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	459.8 KB 
ID:	15387 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WXEL4116[1].JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	410.8 KB 
ID:	15388

Name:	YKQN3432[1].JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	455.8 KB 
ID:	15389 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8463[1].JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	15390

Without a full review I will say the eggplant wontons were insanely delicious. Atmosphere was a bit stuffier than what I remember from Japan, but it was opening night. Nice Japanese whisky options. Japanese beer choices need improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Without a full review I will say the eggplant wontons were insanely delicious. Atmosphere was a bit stuffier than what I remember from Japan, but it was opening night. Nice Japanese whisky options. Japanese beer choices need improvement.
    I'll extrapolate from Tokyo/Hakone, and assume that most places in japan aren't very pretentious. Hidden in plain sight? Yeah, but definitely more of a casual feel. By being placed in the paseo, I'd also assume that it'd be stuffy. Having said that, i can't wait to visit tonight.

9. Default Re: Gun

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Well Done!
    Ditto. Can't wait to go on my next trip to OKC!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

10. Default Re: Gun

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Between this place and Red Rooster being open until midnight on Friday & Saturday, Paseo is finally getting some good late-night food spots. One of the two should take the leap and stay open until 2 a.m.
    I'm thinking stay open late night until 3 a.m. Th, Fri, Sat nights as is the case in other major cities.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I don't know what any of that food pictured is, but it looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I'm thinking stay open late night until 3 a.m. Th, Fri, Sat nights as is the case in other major cities.
    This is not possible with how the liquor laws are currently written in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    This is not possible with how the liquor laws are currently written in Oklahoma.
    it is possible, as long as they close up and lock up all high point beer, wine and liquor... it's just very expensive and not usually worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    .... By being placed in the paseo, I'd also assume that it'd be stuffy. ...
    Why would you think that? Plenty of places in the Paseo that aren't stuffy. In fact, maybe the majority of the food/drink places aren't, I'd guess.

I'm really glad a place like this exists. They have this highball machine, which isn't in too many places in the states according to a waitress, and that alone sold me.

Had 5 of the 6 yakitori options (waiter didn't hear the chicken wing), and the tokyo hot chicken. Favorite was the hot chicken, followed by the thigh, and then the meatball.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Why would you think that? Plenty of places in the Paseo that aren't stuffy. In fact, maybe the majority of the food/drink places aren't, I'd guess.
    Looked up the definition of stuffy and I misinterpreted the word.

Sidebar: can it be fact if you were to guess?

A little more info on their Toki Highball machine

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/jap...ghball-machine

We went there for dinner last night. There was a ~45 minute wait for 3 at 7:00, but we just walked over to the Daley and got a drink there while we waited. It's really nice inside and can see myself frequenting there often, as there are still a number of things on the menu I'd like to try. I really like the family style small plate options, as it makes it much easier to try a large portion of the menu and makes the meal more interactive. You order everything at once, and they bring it out as it's ready so made for a fun, progressive dinner. We had the hot chicken, pork sando, eggplant dumplings, and chicken thigh, breast and heart yakatori. Pork sando was probably my favorite, followed by the dumplings and chicken thigh yakatori. The hot chicken was my least favorite of the group, not because it wasn't necessarily good but it didn't really fit with the rest of the menu. I also tried the charred grapefruit highball... I wasn't sure entirely what the expect, but it was surprisingly refreshing.

~$90 with tip for 3 drinks and plenty of food seemed very reasonable to me, I look forward to going back and trying more of the menu.

18. Default Re: Gun

Looks like Chef Jeff just got nominated for best Chef in the Southwest by the James Beard Foundation.

List of nominees

This place is amazing. Some of the best catfish I’ve ever had and awesome staff.

I was wondering how this place is doing. I've heard almost nothing about it, which is usually a bad sign...

^^^ when I went on a rainy and cold night it was doing pretty good.

22. Default Re: Gun

Went here last night. I'm not much for writing reviews but what I can say is that everything here is terrific and high quality. It's the type of place that no one outside of here would expect in OKC. Will def be back.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I was wondering how this place is doing. I've heard almost nothing about it, which is usually a bad sign...
    I feel like they've been getting some good pub lately

https://www.fsrmagazine.com/slidesho...staurant-stars

https://edibleoklahomacity.ediblecom...at/gun-izakaya

https://oklahoman.com/article/565600...05-diningscape

https://www.405magazine.com/the-way-of-gun/

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I went on Tuesday this week around 6:30 and it was already pretty full so I think it's doing quite well.

25. Default Re: Gun

Their FB and IG haven't been updated since May. Guessing they are closed for good?

Thread Information