Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Radio

Plaza District Mexican Radio

Details revealed for Mexican Radio in the Plaza

The Good Egg Dining Group has started work on the former Empire Slice House space in the Plaza District.

The group currently operates Cheever's Cafe, Iron Star, Red Primesteak, Republic, Tucker's Onion Burgers, Kitchen No. 324, The Drake and Barrios. Most of the restaurants are in the the urban core, but Mexican Radio will be their first venture in the popular Plaza area.

The first new concept for Good Egg in two years will involve a full renovation of the former Empire Slice House space, which moved to expanded quarters just to the west.

Keith Paul, Good Egg CEO, described the concept: “If Barrios had a black sheep half-sister, this would be her.”

"We are creating a laid back taco shop. A small menu with mostly tacos, a few apps and salads, one dessert. Ice cold beer, signature frozen margaritas and swirls and a handful of fun cocktails. While the food items will be rooted in Tex-Mex, this is not a taqueria. There will be original items that can't be pushed into a specific Mexican category and we don't want to get into the 'that's not real Mexican' thing. You could say non-denominational tacos; a taco for everyone! Music, our playlists will be a big part of the experience, focusing on music from the MTV generation.”, Paul said.

The new design will add a large kitchen to the southern half of what was a patio, while completely gutting and re-working the existing building into a dining room and large bar area. There will still be a large patio which will be semi-enclosed with a polycarbonate roof.

Design is by Gardner Architects. Mexican Radio hopes to be open this summer.

Default Re: Mexican Radio

Now I'm going to have that song in my head the rest of the day. Thanks Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Whoa-oh.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Same here. Craving some BBQ Iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Same here. Craving some BBQ Iguana.
    if they don't have a bbq iguana taco I will be so disappointed

lol... i came here to say the same thing as everybody else.

/no comprende, it's a riddle

Has to be done. I'll take the hit for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Has to be done. I'll take the hit for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw
    Beat me to it, But yes it had to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    You win OKC Talk for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I think we might've had iguana in Mexico City a few decades back, not impressed, but done right and the right amount of marketing, could sell well nowadays with all the weird food around.

Eager to see the menu. I walk my dog through the plaza every day and pick up to-go food on the walk quite often. I've been dreaming of a taco spot in the plaza for years!

14. Default Re: Mexican Radio

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Eager to see the menu. I walk my dog through the plaza every day and pick up to-go food on the walk quite often. I've been dreaming of a taco spot in the plaza for years!
    Used to be an amazing taqueria located where The Pritchard is now back before the gentrification started.... There was a bit of a language barrier there back then but they made some great food.... Not sure if they closed or moved when that area started to take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Used to be an amazing taqueria located where The Pritchard is now back before the gentrification started.... There was a bit of a language barrier there back then but they made some great food.... Not sure if they closed or moved when that area started to take off.
    How long ago was that? I've lived in the Plaza/Gatewood/Las Vegas for 6 years but that is definitely within the gentrification period so I probably missed it.

16. Default Re: Mexican Radio

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    How long ago was that? I've lived in the Plaza/Gatewood/Las Vegas for 6 years but that is definitely within the gentrification period so I probably missed it.
    I would say about 8 years or so.... They also served a smothered burrito in one of the best salsa verde I ever tasted.

I would say about 8 years or so.... They also served a smothered burrito in one of the best salsa verde I ever tasted.
    Interesting, I actually got in an argument with someone the other day who was talking about an awesome taco place in the Plaza years ago and I was swearing up and down that they were thinking of Chiltepes haha, oops.

18. Default Re: Mexican Radio

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Interesting, I actually got in an argument with someone the other day who was talking about an awesome taco place in the Plaza years ago and I was swearing up and down that they were thinking of Chiltepes haha, oops.
    LOL... well a version of Chiltepes was there at the same time... Just most people thought it was just a Guatemalan convenience store.

LOL... well a version of Chiltepes was there at the same time... Just most people thought it was just a Guatemalan convenience store.
    Haha well I wouldn't be surprised if their food was an improvement over 2016 Chiltepes
    Very excited to see what Good Egg does with Mexican Radio though, I constantly look for an update as to either the menu or projected opening haha.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Having lived two blocks north of the Plaza for 25 years, it was almost empty when we moved in, and I remember a Mexican restaurant in what is now the quick store. Whoever was cooking was really good. There was a buffet, but the specials were amazing. One day, they had stuffed squid with grapes, something from southern Mexico. Too bad they were ahead of the curve.

22. Default Re: Mexican Radio

I took this photo last night during Skate on the Plaza. This place is going to be awesome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7rXSsneFRGy%L+U6u1SZCA.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	15420

Is the arch covering up part of an air vent?

drove by the other day. I really like the colors of that arch.

Thread Information