Default Re: Mexican Radio

Flashback to when is was Old Coin Laundry
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CL1.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	15424

First shots of the interior and patio by Gazette photog Alexa Ace.

They are doing some soft open stuff this weekend then open to the public on Monday.

HangryHippo Guest

I love the globes at the top of the bar!

4. Default Re: Mexican Radio

I've been watching the Taco Chronicles on Netflix. Docu-series covering the 7 traditional style tacos of Mexico. Really looking forward to them opening.

I have the strong feeling they are going to kill it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My stomach agrees after lunch today. The munchies and sides shine just as well as the tacos. The two drinks we had were great too.

Good Egg does such a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't think you are going very far out on the limb with that statement.

Blog Entries

Had a great late lunch here today - really enjoyed it. Tacos were really good (shared fried chicken / carne Assada and cauliflower) and the side rice was fantastic. Drinks are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Had a great late lunch here today - really enjoyed it. Tacos were really good (shared fried chicken / carne Assada and cauliflower) and the side rice was fantastic. Drinks are fun.
    An Airbnb guest of mine ate there a couple of days ago and reported that he liked the flavor of the tacos he ordered, but found that they overdid it on the saltiness. Was that anything that you (or anyone else on here) noticed?

Blog Entries

^I didn't notice that but probably depends on the taco.

The only somewhat negative was from one in our party who said their drink had too much ginger in it. The Dole Whip Marg got high reviews for taste (but was small in size).

Went the other day when we had an unexpected day off work because of the lost power. I had the brisket taco which was really good and smoky. I liked my margarita as well. The highlight for me was the Elotes style cauliflower which was very tasty.

Blog Entries

All the sides looked great - rice, Elotes cauliflower, refried beans and Brussels. (Those are the 4 I recall anyway).

Went for lunch yesterday and everything was fine. I ordered the fried chicken taco knowing that I would take the pickles off (I hate pickles) but when it arrived I realized in doing so left the taco as a piece of fried chicken inside a tortilla with some onion. The chicken was very good, but the taco needs some slaw IMO. The BBQ shrimp taco was very good and quite spicy. Queso was fine, but nothing special. Guac was pretty good, as were the chips. Overall I'm excited to try more of the menu and I'm kicking myself for not ordering the spicy cauliflower taco.

Heads up that their happy hour is M-Thur 2-6pm and tacos are 3.50. Smoked brisket still has excellent flavor even 3 years in.

I asked about the new location and was told they aren't quite ready to divulge. Obviously, lots of good options in Midtown.

Press release:

MEXICAN RADIO TO CLOSE IN PLAZA DISTRICT, WILL RE-OPEN AS A QUICK SERVICE HOT SPOT IN MIDTOWN DISTRICT SUMMER 2024

OKLAHOMA CITY (Feb. 26, 2024) – A Good Egg Dining Group announced today that Mexican Radio will be closing its doors in the Plaza District on March 10th a@er the final dinner service to undergo a change in service style and reopen in the Midtown District in Summer 2024. The new location will better support the updated fast-casual, counter service model.

“We have tons of respect for the Plaza District and truly appreciate everyone who visited Mexican Radio in this location over the last 5 years. We have continued to refine our concept post-pandemic and believe a counter-service model is the final piece of the plan,” said Keith Paul, Chief executive Officer and Co-Founder of A Good Egg Dining Group.

Guests can expect the same laid-back taco shop with unique high-quality tacos, signature frozen drinks, and authentic hospitality they’ve come to know and love.

“I have always thought of Mexican Radio as the quirky little sister to Barrios. The opportunity to move just around the corner from our sister restaurant is so valuable. We can’t wait to see our team own this new experience and welcome back our guests to this colorful, any-day-of-the week taco stop for neighbors, friends, and family” said Heather Paul, Chief CreaIve Officer and Co-Founder of A Good Egg Dining Group.

I bet where Sunset Patio Bar was. It’s close to Barrios.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Seems like a really big space for a fast casual concept. I'm banking more on Louis' or 1492 locations, with Louis' being the front-runner.

That space is going to be something similar to Sunset, since the Sunset group still leases the space for a long time.

20. Default Re: Mexican Radio

1492 space seems most likely, followed perhaps by Cafe do Brasil. 1492 is practically turnkey for this relocation.

Sunset's operator will return with a new concept. They have a long-term lease.

In addition to the recently closed restaurants, there will also be the restaurant space in the Phillips Murrah complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    1492 space seems most likely, followed perhaps by Cafe do Brasil. 1492 is practically turnkey for this relocation.
    This seems most likely. I don't know how big Cafe Do Brasil is, but for a quick service, it might not make sense. 1492 is the obvious choice as you wouldn't have to do a ton of build out. And who knows when the Cafe Do Brasil space will be ready.

I'm a little bummed. I visit Plaza more than I do Midtown. Mexican Radio wasn't our favorite restaurant in the Plaza, but it was always nice when we got to it in our rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I'm a little bummed. I visit Plaza more than I do Midtown. Mexican Radio wasn't our favorite restaurant in the Plaza, but it was always nice when we got to it in our rotation.
    Agreed. Had it Saturday night and it was great and busy. Since they are changing over to counter service (I assume similar to Ted's cantina on 23rd) the overhead will be lower and maybe at a smaller space, more traffic, turnover and higher margins.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    my guess is the old louies space

Thread Information