Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JoBeth Hamon

Default JoBeth Hamon

I haven't posted about JoBeth due to the election but now that she's won, I wanted to share.

When I first moved back to OKC about 2 years ago, I met JoBeth at a 'MAPS for Neighborhoods' meeting (remember that movement?) at City Presbyterian Church.

We were part of a crowd of about 30 or so and happened to fall into the same breakout group. We started chatting and she mentioned living at Regency Tower and that she had walked over, as had I from my place in SoSA. Somehow it came up that she didn't own a car (by choice) and therefore she was very familiar with the challenges of the city's transportation system. JoBeth left a big impression because she was just quietly trying to make the city a better place by showing up and getting involved in things.

When she filed for city council, I didn't even make the connection. But I was intrigued by what I had read about her and arranged to meet up for a beer at McNellie's. Only then did I realize it was the same person I had met that night at CityPres. We had a great conversation and I left impressed by her humble ambition and what seemed to be a sincere desire to make OKC a better place.

As it happens, her primary competition was Nathaniel Harding, who is very well-connected in OKC and who has served on several city boards, including the MAPS3 oversight committee. He owns an oil company and a couple of buildings in Bricktown, lives in Heritage Hills and was well-funded and backed by a who's-who of OKC elite (see below). He seems to be a very nice and well-meaning man.

But JoBeth won last night with a clear majority. I know she worked her tail off, getting out and meeting people and knocking on doors. All on foot or on her bike.

It's really nothing short of amazing.

Default Re: JoBeth Hamon

Both elections (Cooper and Hamon) are nothing short of amazing. Nathaniel had an unbelievable war chest as did several of James' competitors.

I worked on Meg's campaign in Ward 6 and Cooper's this time and four years ago. Sometimes the stars align for those running for office.

One interesting crossover is Ed Shadid. Obviously, an incumbent is hard to beat and he handily beat James four years ago. However, he didn't weigh in on the Ward 2 race but did weigh in on the Ward 6 race. That factor alone probably helped prevent Ward 2 from going to a runoff and we will probably never the full extent of damage that it did to Harding in Ward 6.

While I was typing this, two different people just hit me up at Coffee Slingers and told me that the letter influenced their votes and other people that they knew.

It would be disingenuous to attribute the big win in Ward 6 to only the letter. The campaign four years ago really brought into clarity that Ward 6 is truly the location of the most Progressive-minded people in perhaps the entire state of Oklahoma. Hamon was the ideal candidate for the demographic and obviously work her tail off. Nevertheless, the "Ed-factor" had some sort of effect in both races.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    While I was typing this, two different people just hit me up at Coffee Slingers and told me that the letter influenced their votes and other people that they knew.
    Guess I've been out of the loop a bit... what letter?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As it happens, her primary competition was Nathaniel Harding, who is very well-connected in OKC and who has served on several city boards, including the MAPS3 oversight committee. He owns an oil company and a couple of buildings in Bricktown, lives in Heritage Hills and was well-funded and backed by a who's-who of OKC elite (see below). He seems to be a very nice and well-meaning man.

But JoBeth won last night with a clear majority. I know she worked her tail off, getting out and meeting people and knocking on doors. All on foot or on her bike.
    They were both good candidates, for different reasons. I'm shocked by the size of her win, but not that she won.

Also, I suggested this to a few people recently, I think it's time that the City consider splitting some wards (adding more). OKC has had 8 wards for a few decades, as far as I can tell (I can't find any online resources). The Ward portion of the Municipal Code was last updated in 1980 and it references 8 wards. Population then was 404,014, which is roughly 50,502 people per Council Member. OKC is now estimated at 643,648 as of July 2017, which is 80,456 people per Council Member.

^

Shadid has advocated for more wards as well.

Believe he wanted to create 12 vs. 8.

Also believe Holt would like to have 10 that would kick in after the 2020 census.

-humble ambition and what seemed to be a sincere desire to make OKC a better place

Well put. She's in her late 20s but will bring "grown up in the room" persona to the council I believe. Really happy with this win.

https://newsok.com/article/5622821/m...s-for-everyone

Hamon, 28, reported the week before the election that she had raised $18,600 in mostly small donations. Nathaniel Harding raised more than $140,000, much of it in donations of $500 to $2,700 from interests in banking, energy, law, public relations, and real estate development.
    She was outraised nearly 8-to-1 and still pulled it off through a ground game. Wow.

Ironically, OKC has finally matured by electing these younger, more progressive leaders to the City Council. Big money politics is the OKC of the past, and a grassroots vision of Oklahoma City for all is the future. This is the kind of progressive vision that Ed Shadid brought to the council and mayoral race, but his timing was premature. The urban core is more blue (and perhaps more green) than ever.

JoBeth, Nikki, James and Holt are entering a far more hospitable environment with Couch gone as well. He was the linchpin to maintaining the status quo.

It is important to understand that we can transition from a period of progressive criticism to a period of progressive vision. A turnover in one more Ward would help ensure a voting block. Right now, they will still have to build bridges and work with the suburban councilors.

Hoping Lavelle Compton runs in Ward 3 in '21, he stated he is interested. I think he would be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    Ironically, OKC has finally matured by electing these younger, more progressive leaders to the City Council. Big money politics is the OKC of the past, and a grassroots vision of Oklahoma City for all is the future. This is the kind of progressive vision that Ed Shadid brought to the council and mayoral race, but his timing was premature. The urban core is more blue (and perhaps more green) than ever.
    We're getting there. Greenwell raised $62k, almost all of which was spent on fancy lawyers (Glenn Coffee, Cara Rodriguez etc....) to keep me off the ballot. Anyway, I'm over it.... worth noting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    JoBeth, Nikki, James and Holt are entering a far more hospitable environment with Couch gone as well. He was the linchpin to maintaining the status quo.

It is important to understand that we can transition from a period of progressive criticism to a period of progressive vision. A turnover in one more Ward would help ensure a voting block. Right now, they will still have to build bridges and work with the suburban councilors.
    +1

Was there any discussion of the disgraceful red-baiting Friday paper piece here? I'm amazed how poorly them and Pat McFerron and the others did this go 'round....I know they didn't play nice, but there were a number of things I thought they would throw out beyond the stupid red-baiting article. I guess the old anti real progress players are losing their touch.

Does anyone know these folks well enough to know if they'll advocate for change regarding how OKC treats it historic structures so we can lessen the chances of things like the Founders Building be dozed with no warning or public comment? Maybe even, dare I say, expand design review limits?

Good fun times ahead.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PhotoGrid_1550201980403.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	15153

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Does anyone know these folks well enough to know if they'll advocate for change regarding how OKC treats it historic structures so we can lessen the chances of things like the Founders Building be dozed with no warning or public comment? Maybe even, dare I say, expand design review limits?
    At one of the candidate forums I submitted a question about mandatory waiting periods before demolitions and JoBeth expressed support.

James made preserving our historic neighborhoods and urban districts a cornerstone of his campaign messaging.

I'm glad to hear this. I haven't been keeping up with local election information so thank you for the scoop. Here's to making some good progress on this in the coming years!

Unless you know everyone and are out and about you aren't really going to be able to keep up with it. It is
    a shame how little coverage there is in the media over this important stuff. Something we need to work on
    for sure.

I'm glad to hear this. I haven't been keeping up with local election information so thank you for the scoop. Here's to making some good progress on this in the coming years!

20. Default Re: JoBeth Hamon

Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    Unless you know everyone and are out and about you aren't really going to be able to keep up with it. It is
    a shame how little coverage there is in the media over this important stuff. Something we need to work on
    for sure.
    I was kind of shocked to see that newsok.com did not have a single piece of coverage on the OKC City Council elections during Tuesday night. I know they suck completely now, but man, that's really sucking super-hard....

I am so excited to see what is to come on the city council in the coming years. I met JoBeth at a friend's house and for a small fundraiser and was quite impressed as well. If she worked this hard to win the election while being massively outspent, I imagine she will work her tail off for our citizens, and especially our citizens who may have not had a powerful voice before specifically those use public transit and the homeless among. BTW she is Steve's special guest on his live chat this morning.

22. Default Re: JoBeth Hamon

JoBeth is Lackmeyer's guest on his chat this morning, with James Cooper on next week.

Sadly she seem to be Ed light. (And may not have gotten elected with our Ed’s untrue political and personal attack letter of Harding ).

Appears that she was anti maps 3. Is anti streetcar and will be anti maps 4

24. Default Re: JoBeth Hamon

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Sadly she seem to be Ed light. (And may not have gotten elected with our Ed’s untrue political and personal attack letter of Harding ).

Appears that she was anti maps 3. Is anti streetcar and will be anti maps 4
    Got any cites for those statements?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Got any cites for those statements?
    Yes Boulder please do tell? Pretty big things to throw out there about JoBeth and seems like an axe to grind...

Thread Information