Widgets Magazine

Thread: Southside restaurants

Default Southside restaurants

I grew up Southside but haven’t spent much time there in the 15yrs since I moved. What are the authentic and unique places to eat on the south side that’s NOT Tex mex or taquerias. I already have my favorite spots. I’ll be along the 240 corridor but can stray a couple miles.

Default Re: Southside restaurants

Nice little locally-owned place with really good and reasonable food:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/krave-teriyaki-oklahoma-city-3

I'll second the nod for Krave. Very tasty and reasonable.

Four J's Diner. SW 29th and Agnew. Amazing family-owned Laotian & Thai restaurant.

El Fogon De Edgar at SW 72nd/Western in a strip mall - family-owned Colombian restaurant.

My son and l ate at the remaining Dot Wo's and it was as good as their north side locations were.

Sushi and hibachi... Volcano on 240 and Penn is excellent

Stuffed Olive is a great soup and sandwich place with other entries and daily specials... it’s south of 119th and Penn...

Perry’s is a great mom and pop serving comfort food that’s always busy with great breakfast 24/7 at 74th and May

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    Sushi and hibachi... Volcano on 240 and Penn is excellent

Stuffed Olive is a great soup and sandwich place with other entries and daily specials... it’s south of 119th and Penn...

Perry’s is a great mom and pop serving comfort food that’s always busy with great breakfast 24/7 at 74th and May
    Perry's is great...IMO it's the restaurant everyone wants Beverly's to be.

C’mon man. I’m old school south side. I ate there when Perry’s was a mama lou’s identical layout. Do two was one of the original tenants in the Chardonnay. I love the suggestion of four J’s but anything I’m in the area for Thai I have to hit up the original panang location on 89th @ penn. originally a restaurant called phad Thai, there must be a relation because the recipes hardly changed.

I ended up taking my guest to Krave. Good suggestion. It’s got some nice beef ribs and other out of the norm dishes in an environment not threatening to people (like my guest) who have never been into a hole in the wall ethnic food joint.

Also I really feel like I’m showing my age, but I remember when all that land was wheat fields. And I’m not that old. Pushing 40, but still...

For American comfort food on the Southside, it's hard to beat Jimmy's Roundup Cafe at SW 59th & Blackwelder. Perry's (SW 74th and May) and Mama Lou's (SE 29th and I-35) are both solid diners; Sunnyside Diner (SW 89th and Western) is a fantastic breakfast spot too. Hibachi Supreme Buffet at SW 74th and CA Henderson Blvd is pretty good and a southside standby for buffet Chinese/Japanese foods, though I personally prefer the food on the buffet at China Wok at SW 89th and Western; China Wok's General Tso's chicken is unique and addictive. For pizza, I absolutely love Eagle One, at SW 119th and Western... They aren't gourmet pizzas like some of the top pizza joints around town, but they still put out some pretty darn great pies and calzones for not a whole lot of money. Of course, when in the mood for a good burger, there's always competing local joints Johnnie's (SW 74th and Walker, on the north side of I-240), S&B's (SW 74th and Walker, on the south side of I-240), and the Garage (SW 74th and CA Henderson Blvd); Dan's Old Time Diner (SW 84th and Western) slings a great onion burger too. I know you said "NOT Tex-Mex or Taquerias" but I'm gonna throw a couple in anyway - Los Vaqueros at SW 89th and Western is fantastic, as is Taqueria El Rey at SW 59th and Francis; also deserving of mention are San Marcos (SW 59th and Youngs) and Tacos San Pedro (SW 44th and Youngs). And they're not a restaurant per se, but I always enjoy grabbing an indian taco and grape dumplings from the Choctaw Tribal Alliance near SW 52nd and Youngs; they only serve them for lunch on the second Saturday of every month, but they're worth every penny. I can't recommend them enough.

How is China Wok's General Tso's unique? Leos in Stillwater had the best General Tso's I've ever had, by a large margin, and their version was not battered and not syrupy sweet like most.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    How is China Wok's General Tso's unique? Leos in Stillwater had the best General Tso's I've ever had, by a large margin, and their version was not battered and not syrupy sweet like most.
    China Wok does batter and fry their chicken in their version of General Tso's, but they don't go too overboard in how much batter they use - and the sauce is different than I've had at any other Chinese restaurant in town. Their sauce is sweet, but not syrupy sweet, and is balanced by a tangy sour flavor and by a slightly more liberal application of chili peppers. It works extremely well and is kind of addictive, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    China Wok does batter and fry their chicken in their version of General Tso's, but they don't go too overboard in how much batter they use - and the sauce is different than I've had at any other Chinese restaurant in town. Their sauce is sweet, but not syrupy sweet, and is balanced by a tangy sour flavor and by a slightly more liberal application of chili peppers. It works extremely well and is kind of addictive, in my opinion.
    That sounds similar to Leos and I found a picture of China Wok's General Tso's and it showed large chunks of bell pepper, which is also the way Leos served it. I will have to try it sometime.

Thread Information