Thread: Belle Isle Library

Blog Entries

Default Re: Belle Isle Library

it's almost stage center-esque

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    it's almost stage center-esque
    How so? Not being vacated. Not being torn down. Its use is being expanded. Expansion seems complementary. City is spending money to extend its useful life with the community benefitted. Doesn’t seem anything like Stage Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    If I had a kid who went to Belle Isle magnet school, I'd demand the plans include funding for sidewalks for kids to walk safely from school to this library.
    It is needed, but seriously doubt that will happen. If there are sidewalks going in (big if), it'd be through Better Streets... or the latest bond issue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    How so? Not being vacated. Not being torn down. Its use is being expanded. Expansion seems complementary. City is spending money to extend its useful life with the community benefitted. Doesn’t seem anything like Stage Center.
    Um, just meant that when I look at it, it has a similar feel as stage center... an opinion, obvs

Are there any plans showing how this all relates to the surrounding parking lots and streets? I don't think there's enough room to do what they want to do *and* keep the current layout of parking and curbs, etc. intact.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Um, just meant that when I look at it, it has a similar feel as stage center... an opinion, obvs
    Still not sure I understand. Totally different architectural styles, materials, etc.

Still not sure I understand. Totally different architectural styles, materials, etc.
    I totally understand his view. A public information space that with it's Mid Century Modern Design (and ongoing expansion of the theme) is something that is not duplicated much in OKC.

I see what he's saying. Look at Pete's post on page 1 with the overhead view plans from ADG. There's a big round thing in the middle with other parts sticking out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    It is needed, but seriously doubt that will happen. If there are sidewalks going in (big if), it'd be through Better Streets... or the latest bond issue.
    I thought there was a rule now that new construction or renovation had to include sidewalk planning, specifically to avoid having to do bond issues. I thought that was why so many deadend sidewalks, because they were required as part of the construction package and city has to use tax money to connect said sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    I thought there was a rule now that new construction or renovation had to include sidewalk planning, specifically to avoid having to do bond issues. I thought that was why so many deadend sidewalks, because they were required as part of the construction package and city has to use tax money to connect said sidewalks.
    I believe there is, but don't know the specifics, although I'd bet it would only apply to the property under renovation/construction, so if there aren't already sidewalks on Villa on the library's property, that would probably be the only place new sidewalks would go in. It'd be like a house being constructed in between two other houses on a street with no sidewalks - they'd only put a sidewalk in front of the new house, not anybody else's (we've seen that many times). Maybe somebody with more knowledge on this can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    My only knock are the orange and turquoise exterior colors. They strike me as too trendy and will scream "late teens" for the next century. Even though it is contemporary, I prefer expansions or remodels look as timeless as possible.
    I have been thinking the same thing! I am not a fan of that, they should have paint it gray

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    I have been thinking the same thing! I am not a fan of that, they should have paint it gray
    Looks to me that the material used for those orange and turquoise walls are a made in color product. I'm guessing it is not recommended to ever paint it. So we would have these colors for over 100 years. I love color, but I prefer timeless hues or a surface that would easily take paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You'll have to open these is a new window to see the detail:

Finally did a side-by-side comparison of this and a current overhead view to see how the new additions will fit on the lot, and it will all fit without compromising any parking, but almost all the green space will be gone (worth it, IMO). The bottom of the above image is the Villa side of the lot, FYI.

Asked a librarian today and he said they're moving in May-ish to a strip mall type place about a mile west (he wasn't exactly sure where), said it won't have nearly the current space (the temp libraries never do during remodels, so nothing new there), and they had a hard time finding a spot because of expensive leases.

The library has rented space next to Gold's Gym at NW Expressway and Portland, so that's where they'll be once the renovation commences.

They filed for their building permit, so work should be starting soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They filed for their building permit, so work should be starting soon.
    It will be really nice when it is done, I am looking forward to it!

Looks like they had to rebid construction after the first responses came in too high.

So I suppose we can expect to have this project “value engineered.”

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    So I suppose we can expect to have this project “value engineered.”
    The “Oklahoma Standard”. lol

Well, sh*t, there goes a bunch of the cool stuff.

Press release:

BELLE ISLE LIBRARY TO CLOSE
    FOR RENOVATIONS

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – The library known to many as the “Millennium Falcon” or “Starship Enterprise” will close on July 17, 2020 to undergo an extensive remodel, launching the 1960s style library into the future. Before this remodel begins, the library will move into a temporary location at 3621 NW Expressway, next to Gold’s Gym and Buy for Less.

The temporary library location will open in mid-August, and construction will start around the same time on the renovations of the existing building.

The renovations will preserve the building’s iconic looks while still giving the library some much needed upgrades. The renovation will include adding about 10,000 square feet to the library to include a much larger meeting area, study rooms, children’s programming space, large teen space and a makerspace/MLS studios. In addition, the library will have all new furniture, more computers and more parking.

ADG is the local architecture firm for the renovation.

Visit www.metrolibrary.org for updates about the move to the temporary location and the renovation.

Apparently they are getting some donations for this renovation, from: https://twitter.com/OKC_SPAN/status/1285583441292144641

Next we hear about the Belle Isle library. A construction project there has received donations and the construction can be expanded because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Apparently they are getting some donations for this renovation, from: https://twitter.com/OKC_SPAN/status/1285583441292144641
    It is very nice of generous people to do that!

We are so lucky to have such a great library system in Oklahoma County. My count might be off but they've built or remodeled 5-6 libraries just in the past 8 years or so. The staff are amazing, too.

^^^^^ I agree. Our library system is an underappreciated asset.

I've tried to get friends to get a library card and they refuse, they don't like to read. I explain to them that the library offers free streaming services of movies, documentaries, etc etc etc as well as learning materials.

They just aren't interested as they sit in their lazyboy chairs and pay the couple hundred dollars a month of cable/satellite services and bitch about the prices.

The Oklahoma County Library System is a jewel.

Thread Information