Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Belle Isle Library

Default Re: Belle Isle Library

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    ^^^^^ I agree. Our library system is an underappreciated asset.

I've tried to get friends to get a library card and they refuse, they don't like to read. I explain to them that the library offers free streaming services of movies, documentaries, etc etc etc as well as learning materials.

They just aren't interested as they sit in their lazyboy chairs and pay the couple hundred dollars a month of cable/satellite services and bitch about the prices.

The Oklahoma County Library System is a jewel.
    Yes! The services are incredible. I know people who shell out $$$ for subscriptions to magazines, databases, streaming services, etc. I mean, right now Ancestry.com is completely free and accessible from home through the library system. I know people who pay for that monthly!

Libraries change communities in such a positive way; I'm so excited to see what Belle Isle will do for the area.

^^^^^ I agree. Our library system is an underappreciated asset.

I've tried to get friends to get a library card and they refuse, they don't like to read. I explain to them that the library offers free streaming services of movies, documentaries, etc etc etc as well as learning materials.

They just aren't interested as they sit in their lazyboy chairs and pay the couple hundred dollars a month of cable/satellite services and bitch about the prices.

The Oklahoma County Library System is a jewel.
    Do they like free computers? Free tax forms? Free research help? Free comfy chairs?
    Seriously, their tax dollars help pay for it. I bet if they went once, they'd be amazed at the services.

3. Default Re: Belle Isle Library

I think if more of them had cutting edge designs or were big (like downtown or the new one in PC Northwest) then more people would try it out. However, most of them are drab, old, and don't really invite the customer to stick around - despite the recent upgrades and additions. Also I doubt they're connected to transit (and even then, dont have adequate pedestrian walkways aka sidewalks, trees, lighting).

Contrast that to the King County Library System with their numerous locations and inviting if not innovative design; you just WANT to patronize it. Take a look at the Bellevue, Federal Way Regional, or the brand spanking new Bellevue Lake Hills locations, very inviting, and all are well connected!!

I had proposed long ago that OKC consider transit transfer mini-hubs at the libraries and community centers kind of like they do with the malls. This idea would encourage use of facilities for folks waiting to transfer who may purposefully incorporate library into their plans. As of today OKC would need to modify their system from the destination based to something like here (which is location based, with key transfer stops along the way).

Example of what I mean: today OKC says ## Qail Springs Mall (destination) but should read ## Quail Springs via N Western or Edmond via Quail Springs, Moore via S Western, Moore via Express. etc. (location). The beauty of location based transit (vs destination) is you cover all destinations along the way to the end location - which is usually a transit hub, suburb, or major destination (but gives the rider an idea of the route). Here we have 150 Kent via Southcenter (Kent is the end suburb, Southcenter is the major mall destination along the way), with bus signage "Seattle via Southcenter" or "Kent via Southcenter".
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I think if more of them had cutting edge designs or were big (like downtown or the new one in PC Northwest) then more people would try it out. However, most of them are drab, old, and don't really invite the customer to stick around - despite the recent upgrades and additions.
    This is completely wrong.

Virtually every library in the metro system is new or newly remodeled. Belle Isle is one of the very few that is original and the whole point of this thread is they are getting ready to spend a ton of money and have selected a bold and expensive design.

Just in the last couple of years they have opened big, beautiful libraries in Capitol Hill and Bethany.

There is plenty in OKC that couple be improved, but it's absurd to criticize the library system, which is pretty darn amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I think if more of them had cutting edge designs or were big (like downtown or the new one in PC Northwest) then more people would try it out. However, most of them are drab, old, and don't really invite the customer to stick around - despite the recent upgrades and additions. Also I doubt they're connected to transit (and even then, dont have adequate pedestrian walkways aka sidewalks, trees, lighting).

Contrast that to the King County Library System with their numerous locations and inviting if not innovative design; you just WANT to patronize it. Take a look at the Bellevue, Federal Way Regional, or the brand spanking new Bellevue Lake Hills locations, very inviting, and all are well connected!!...
    When we lived in Puyallup and Sumner in 2007 - 2009, we used the Puyallup library and were very impressed by it, I definitely agree with your points about the differences between ours and theirs. One of ours is just a space in a strip mall, and a couple of others look pretty much like pre-fab stainless steel sheds. But I have no idea where the Metro Library system would get the money to make them better, it doesn't seem to be a priority here (your area has way more highly educated people than OKC/OK does, so they most likely place more emphasis/money on libraries than OKC/OK does). Improving transit to/from them is do-able, though, I'd think, but improving transit in OKC is another, massive can of worms (bus signage improvement should be easy, though).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    When we lived in Puyallup and Sumner in 2007 - 2009, we used the Puyallup library and were very impressed by it, I definitely agree with your points about the differences between ours and theirs. One of ours is just a space in a strip mall, and a couple of others look pretty much like pre-fab stainless steel sheds. But I have no idea where the Metro Library system would get the money to make them better, it doesn't seem to be a priority here (your area has way more highly educated people than OKC/OK does, so they most likely place more emphasis/money on libraries than OKC/OK does). Improving transit to/from them is do-able, though, I'd think, but improving transit in OKC is another, massive can of worms (bus signage improvement should be easy, though).
    This is ridiculous.

Read my post above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is ridiculous.

Read my post above yours.
    Yep, read it, and I agree with it, but just saying that we still have a few outliers that aren't that great, and there's absolutely no debate about the education levels in both states, which might or might not play into our lower-level libraries still being "not great". So yeah, they've built/remodeled libraries, but we still have some that need more love (maybe they're in low-usage areas - Luther, Almonte, Nicoma Park?).

Also, the Belle Isle renovation is getting re-bid after they came in too high, so yes, they're spending tons of money on it, but fewer tons than they expected it to cost. Will any of the features be lost, will corners be cut, or ......?

we still have a few outliers that aren't that great
    Which ones, specifically?

And they came up with the money to build Belle Isle as proposed.

I'm not picking on any one person but not *everything* in OKC sucks. The library system is great and a ton of money has been invested in it in just the last couple of decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Which ones, specifically?

And they came up with the money to build Belle Isle as proposed.

I'm not picking on any one person but not *everything* in OKC sucks. The library system is great and a ton of money has been invested in it in just the last couple of decades.
    Last sentence - absolutely, they're by far the most comprehensive library system I've ever run across in my travels/living, their service is great, and they *have* been building/remodeling. But the Edmond and Village libraries were almost completely full and out of expansion space and needed more space immediately upon opening (I think the Edmond one is fixed, but Village isn't, haven't been to either in years, so not totally sure), and Bethany just got fixed in the past year, so in a few years, the system might be *all* very nice.

Good to hear about the BI renovation, hadn't seen/heard an update.

Almonte - strip mall
    Nicoma Park and Luther - look like double-wides or pre-fab.

Last sentence - absolutely, they're by far the most comprehensive library system I've ever run across in my travels/living, their service is great, and they *have* been building/remodeling. But the Edmond and Village libraries were almost completely full and out of expansion space and needed more space immediately upon opening (I think the Edmond one is fixed, but Village isn't, haven't been to either in years, so not totally sure), and Bethany just got fixed in the past year, so in a few years, the system might be *all* very nice.

Good to hear about the BI renovation, hadn't seen/heard an update.

Almonte - strip mall
    Nicoma Park and Luther - look like double-wides or pre-fab.

Almonte wasn't even supposed to be a library. It was a temp location for Southern Oaks back in 2012 while it was being renovated. MLS asked the city to keep it open when they signed up 5,000-6,000 new patrons at that location. The city also has land set aside for a new Almonte Library. It's coming, but these projects take some time.

As for Luther and Nicoma Park, those cities need to take a look at what Jones did. Keep in mind, the cities own the buildings, not the Metropolitan Library System.

It seems like you guys are picking a few awesome libraries within the Seattle area and comparing them to our smallest in Luther and Nicoma Park. Put up our Downtown, Northwest, or Bethany branches against any of those and they compare favorably in terms of both facilities and services. Although not in OKC, did I mention Norman's new central library? That thing is incredible. I hate the narrative that we don't do enough when the library systems in our area have been doing plenty to keep up or even exceed what others are doing elsewhere. There are bigger cities and metros that continually see massive budget cuts to libraries which have led to the closing of branches throughout the country. We do not have that problem. Our library systems in the OKC Metro are expanding, remodeling, or building while other libraries are shutting their doors.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	16275  

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    [/B]

Almonte wasn't even supposed to be a library. It was a temp location for Southern Oaks back in 2012 while it was being renovated. MLS asked the city to keep it open when they signed up 5,000-6,000 new patrons at that location. The city also has land set aside for a new Almonte Library. It's coming, but these projects take some time.

As for Luther and Nicoma Park, those cities need to take a look at what Jones did. Keep in mind, the cities own the buildings, not the Metropolitan Library System.
    Thanks for the clarification, did not know any of that. Is the ownership of buildings by the city they're in the same for all the Metro Library buildings, I wonder?

It seems like you guys are picking a few awesome libraries within the Seattle area and comparing them to our smallest in Luther and Nicoma Park. Put up our Downtown, Northwest, or Bethany branches against any of those and they compare favorably in terms of both facilities and services. Although not in OKC, did I mention Norman's new central library? That thing is incredible. I hate the narrative that we don't do enough when the library systems in our area have been doing plenty to keep up or even exceed what others are doing elsewhere. There are bigger cities and metros that continually see massive budget cuts to libraries which have led to the closing of branches throughout the country. We do not have that problem. Our library systems in the OKC Metro are expanding, remodeling, or building while other libraries are shutting their doors.

Attachment 16273
    I kinda did address that, my posts said they do amazing things, but still have a ways to go before they're all as nice as our (or the Seattle area's) nicest, and that yes, they're continually working on them. Norman's isn't part of the Metro Library system, so that's why I didn't mention it, glad it's amazing...

As a side note, I absolutely love the Warr Acres library.

It opened in 1967 and it has remained pretty much original, which is a good thing because it has serious mid-century charm and a great vaulted ceiling and huge stone fireplace.

The second library in Pete's post is amazing. I thought it had to be the downtown library until I visited the library website. The description is over the top for a public library. I am a huge supporter of the public library system but let's be honest the disparity in design even among the newer libraries follows the usual pattern in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    The second library in Pete's post is amazing. I thought it had to be the downtown library until I visited the library website. The description is over the top for a public library. I am a huge supporter of the public library system but let's be honest the disparity in design even among the newer libraries follows the usual pattern in OKC.
    That's the Northwest library on MacArthur and 122nd (or Hefner). We used it a few times when we lived on 164th/May, it's one of the 3rd/4th newest in the system and it's very cool inside too.

It does look amazing. They should all be at this level. The disparity in public services is disheartening. It is why I have given up on Oklahoma City.

My wish is that Yukon would stop their nonsense and join the MLS. We could use a better looking building... Maybe if they would put in windows I would like it more. But while I was at Southern Nazarene, our on campus library was a part of the MLS, so we could get inter-library loans delivered to our campus as well as when we started college we were signed up with accounts to the MLS. I dread when my account is up in about a year or so...

I was just thinking about our many branches of the library system and how we are admiring all the services and technology and comfort of our new ones and the remodeling work, etc.

I remember when I used to work in the Stockyards area and would pop into the Wright Library at 2101 Exchange Avenue.

Ever been there? I loved it because of it's difference. It's resembles just an old brick house visually. It's very small and has few features, but it's wonderful to go in and just enjoy the simplicity. It was opened in 1925. I'm sure my house is larger.

I got a haircut in the Stockyards yesterday and should have gone to the Wright but didn't have time.

(If Pete doesn't mind a plug, and you live or work near the Stockyards, go see Teresa at The Cuttin' Co, next door to Cattlemens Restaurant , for your haircuts. She's awesome and needs all the new customers she can get. Pete, if you need to then delete this paragraph. Thanks)

[/B]

That would explain why the parking lot at Warr Acres is so atrocious. Unless they've repaved it in the last 12 months, It hadn't been paved and marked since we moved there in 1994 (with the exception of the rework done with the 63rd St entrance when Neighborhood Market was built).

20. Default Re: Belle Isle Library

I didn't mean to criticize OKC's system, only to say that I think they need to update or really ADD new libraries throughout the county/perhaps metro. I also meant emphasis should be on design to make them enviting.

I know downtown and NW are brand new and up to par with ours, I even said that. And I know about Capital Hill and the reno with Belle Isle. But what about Ralph Ellison, isn't it due for an upgrade and/or addition?

And Pete, you definitely can not deny my statement about lack of transit connecting OKC's system. Whereas here, transit is not only available but is a no-brainer essential - and people riding by get off and use the system (pre-Covid of course, it's all closed now).

Again, I'm not picking - I'm just offering a critique based on when I lived in OKC (where the libraries truly sucked) vs. the new OKC updates/adds vs. still King County Library. You can't look at the links I provided and think otherwise.

KCLS (King County Library System) is one of the best in the nation, better than even than Seattle and Tacoma/Pierce [which Puyallup belongs to] in my region, but all of whom are also well connected to transit and most designed to invite guests (lots of glass/lighting). I hope OKC could benchmark KCLS in these regards, it will uplift the populus and may help move OKC off those low education lists since that's one of the reason's why Seattle/metro always ranks highly. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

It's close; hopefully work starts soon.

I was just thinking about our many branches of the library system and how we are admiring all the services and technology and comfort of our new ones and the remodeling work, etc.

I remember when I used to work in the Stockyards area and would pop into the Wright Library at 2101 Exchange Avenue.

Ever been there? I loved it because of it's difference. It's resembles just an old brick house visually. It's very small and has few features, but it's wonderful to go in and just enjoy the simplicity. It was opened in 1925. I'm sure my house is larger.

I got a haircut in the Stockyards yesterday and should have gone to the Wright but didn't have time.

(If Pete doesn't mind a plug, and you live or work near the Stockyards, go see Teresa at The Cuttin' Co, next door to Cattlemens Restaurant , for your haircuts. She's awesome and needs all the new customers she can get. Pete, if you need to then delete this paragraph. Thanks)
    This library is very similar, if not an exact copy of the original library out in Yukon. You can find it at 510 Elm Ave. Yukon, OK.

I mean, right now Ancestry.com is completely free and accessible from home through the library system. I know people who pay for that monthly!
    Wow, we had no idea! Is there a specific way for us to get access? I don't see anything on metrolibrary.org about Ancestry. We've been going to the library for over 5 years now and never knew of some of these extras.

Blog Entries

Most resources available to library card holders are listed on the "databases" page, which includes Ancestry:

https://www.metrolibrary.org/find/re.../databases-a-z

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Most resources available to library card holders are listed on the "databases" page, which includes Ancestry:

https://www.metrolibrary.org/find/re.../databases-a-z
    Appreciate that! Guess I could've looked a little harder.

Thread Information