Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 186
  1. #101

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    So if read you right it really doesn't matter in your book if they actually killed somebody or not?
    I'm commenting on the current discussion. I've made my position clear that I am against death penalty for anything. For that very reason. A jury of my peers, while it is the best system, it ain't perfect. However, it is a unambiguous point that can be made for pro-death penalty. As opposed to the wishy washy when does a person become a person arguments that have to be made to justify the ending of a human life.

  2. #102

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    That sums up my problem with the death penalty pretty well. There's not some touchy feely "we can't kill murderers" mindset. It's that the death penalty doesn't come with an eraser.
    I agree and this is something that has really caused me to rethink my stance on the death penalty lately.

  3. #103

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    IMO The use of the death penalty should be rare but still available for those who are just evil people. I'm talking about the Timothy McVeighs of the world, school shooters, people like the one in Texas who was just executed for dragging a black man around chained behind his car for 2 hours. It shouldn't be banned but it should be used sparingly.

  4. Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    That sums up my problem with the death penalty pretty well. There's not some touchy feely "we can't kill murderers" mindset. It's that the death penalty doesn't come with an eraser.
    I know you're jabbing at me with "touchy feely", but I never espoused that position. It's cheaper to do life without parole, the death penalty has no deterrence value, and, as you've said, it's final. Also, a truly civilized society doesn't have state-sanctioned killing, we should rise above that. We're in some not-so-great company:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capita...ent_by_country

    There are some people that have been executed in the USA that were probably innocent, here's a good start:

    https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/executed-possibly-innocent

  5. #105

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Nope, not a jab at you. Just clarifying where my opposition comes from.


  6. #107

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    I haven't had a chance to really look into this, but both chamber's committee's recommended not passing. I also know that the lost Ogle is likely authored while drunk and had several inaccuracies in that particular story, which is less than usual. Comp pay is legal, and I have worked jobs that this is used. And it is usually used because the work is seasonal, something I am interested if most of the 177 odd employees this would have effected have in common.

  7. #108

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Evidently he should have taken a crappy deal that would have benefited a minority of state employees, while ignoring the issues with the majority of them and overtime pay, and kick the football down the road a few years, instead of demanding a better solution now.

    At least according to TLO and those dumb enough to get their political opinions from there (at least it's not the daily show?)

  8. Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    ...

    At least according to TLO and those dumb enough to get their political opinions from there (at least it's not the daily show?)
    Soooooooooooooo hilarious that people here rag incessantly on sources, yet within those sources is usually a link to one or multiple sources and those (sometimes) have links to other sources, and on down the rabbit hole. Just because someone posts a link from TLO or Huffington Post or Fox doesn't mean that they're "dumb enough to get their political opinions from there", it sometimes means that they just posted the first link they ran across and are hoping that readers are smart enough to go beyond the surface. So, basically, f*** you jerry.

  9. #110

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Soooooooooooooo hilarious that people here rag incessantly on sources, yet within those sources is usually a link to one or multiple sources and those (sometimes) have links to other sources, and on down the rabbit hole. Just because someone posts a link from TLO or Huffington Post or Fox doesn't mean that they're "dumb enough to get their political opinions from there", it sometimes means that they just posted the first link they ran across and are hoping that readers are smart enough to go beyond the surface. So, basically, f*** you jerry.
    There was a link to the Oklahoman. No one is ragging on their sourcing (in reality, lack of), just the lame brained conclusions they come to by not doing one iota of research on the subject. One source. They essentially are just commenting on the news without digging into it, and you think this is evidence of something. So....

  10. #111

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    So, basically, f*** you jerry.
    Nah, thanks. I have better taste than that.

  11. #112

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    There was a link to the Oklahoman. No one is ragging on their sourcing (in reality, lack of), just the lame brained conclusions they come to by not doing one iota of research on the subject. One source. They essentially are just commenting on the news without digging into it, and you think this is evidence of something. So....
    Exactly. Reading comprehension is short for those with an agenda.

  12. Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Exactly. Reading comprehension is short for those with an agenda.
    **** yiou again, for the personal digs.

  13. #114

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    **** yiou again, for the personal digs.
    Really gonna stand on the hill to cover for the Lost Ogle? Really?


  14. #115

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by thetravellers
    So, basically, f*** you jerry.

    Quote Originally Posted by thetravellers
    **** yiou again, for the personal digs.

    yeah... that's enough of that. time to dial it back.

  15. #116

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Soooooooooooooo hilarious that people here rag incessantly on sources, yet within those sources is usually a link to one or multiple sources and those (sometimes) have links to other sources, and on down the rabbit hole. Just because someone posts a link from TLO or Huffington Post or Fox doesn't mean that they're "dumb enough to get their political opinions from there", it sometimes means that they just posted the first link they ran across and are hoping that readers are smart enough to go beyond the surface. So, basically, f*** you jerry.
    TheTravellers still reminds me of the prince in the Shrek movies. Wears a big suit of armor and rides a big horse then jumps off and is actually about as big as the horse's nose. I wonder if he compensates by hanging truck balls from his F150 .... Watch it Jerry, or he might put you on his "ignore" list too. LOL

  16. #117

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    TheTravellers still reminds me of the prince in the Shrek movies. Wears a big suit of armor and rides a big horse then jumps off and is actually about as big as the horse's nose. I wonder if he compensates by hanging truck balls from his F150 .... Watch it Jerry, or he might put you on his "ignore" list too. LOL
    let's get back to topic instead of discussing other users...

  17. #118

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I haven't had a chance to really look into this, but both chamber's committee's recommended not passing. I also know that the lost Ogle is likely authored while drunk and had several inaccuracies in that particular story, which is less than usual. Comp pay is legal, and I have worked jobs that this is used. And it is usually used because the work is seasonal, something I am interested if most of the 177 odd employees this would have effected have in common.
    Is that 177 count accurate? I'm having trouble finding a reference to it but I'm home sick today so my brains only half on.

  18. #119

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Is that 177 count accurate? I'm having trouble finding a reference to it but I'm home sick today so my brains only half on.
    I can't remember the exact number, but it was a few hundred (under 200 for sure) according to one of the committee studies.

  19. #120

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Well he's certainly off to a good start with the five civilized tribes....LOL

    Anybody seen those television commercials the tribes just paid big bucks for?

  20. #121

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Well he's certainly off to a good start with the five civilized tribes....LOL

    Anybody seen those television commercials the tribes just paid big bucks for?
    Stitt isnt wrong though when it comes to the gaming compact. Okla tribes pay some of the lowest rates on gambling revenue of any state. They should probably be adjusted up a bit.

  21. #122

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Stitt isnt wrong though when it comes to the gaming compact. Okla tribes pay some of the lowest rates on gambling revenue of any state. They should probably be adjusted up a bit.
    And, it's not like it's a new industry here, or something we need to help out or incentive at this point. Oklahoma is second only to Nevada for number of Casinos, yet we're not even in the top 15 for tax revenues from Gambling. I think it's reasonable to look at the gaming compacts and try to see if we can get a better deal (something even close to similar states would be nice).

  22. #123

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    And, it's not like it's a new industry here, or something we need to help out or incentive at this point. Oklahoma is second only to Nevada for number of Casinos, yet we're not even in the top 15 for tax revenues from Gambling. I think it's reasonable to look at the gaming compacts and try to see if we can get a better deal (something even close to similar states would be nice).
    Agreed. I don't understand the hostility towards Stitt's proposal.

  23. #124

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Agreed. I don't understand the hostility towards Stitt's proposal.
    The States not honoring agreements with the tribes? Gee.. I can't think of a single instance of that sort of nuisance taking place. The nerve.

  24. #125

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    The States not honoring agreements with the tribes? Gee.. I can't think of a single instance of that sort of nuisance taking place. The nerve.
    So we shouldn't rise taxes and/or fees to help with the state revenue?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cornett paying 5-1 on Predictit to beat Stitt
    By TheSteveHunt in forum Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2018, 08:17 AM
  2. Surprising Face of a First American
    By kelroy55 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2015, 09:05 AM
  3. 15 Surprising Facts About Immigration
    By Prunepicker in forum Politics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 01:13 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
  5. Governor
    By mranderson in forum Politics
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 05:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO