Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 581
  1. Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Mr. Cornsilk himself apparently weighs in on it with some interesting background info.

    https://www.thelostogle.com/2020/02/...comment-341514

    And some info about genetics (there's another post on the previous page of comments too).

    https://www.thelostogle.com/2020/02/...comment-341533

  2. #352

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    I really feel like this is a manufactured "crisis" intended to dirty up the governor when he is having a confrontation with the tribes. If you were to really analyze this what has Stitt done that has really highlighted his Cherokee Nation enrollment? Virtually nothing. Nothing like to the order Warren did, and she barely suffered a scratch from that. And what did Stitt do that was shady or wrong in regards to his enrollment? Nothing. He followed the rules before him. It all stems from actions taken by multiple people 50 years prior to him even being born.

  3. #353

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I really feel like this is a manufactured "crisis" intended to dirty up the governor when he is having a confrontation with the tribes. If you were to really analyze this what has Stitt done that has really highlighted his Cherokee Nation enrollment? Virtually nothing. Nothing like to the order Warren did, and she barely suffered a scratch from that. And what did Stitt do that was shady or wrong in regards to his enrollment? Nothing. He followed the rules before him. It all stems from actions taken by multiple people 50 years prior to him even being born.
    You are right. And that's politics. Been like that forever. I think I read some history book talking about attacks on Andrew Jackson's wife when he was (or was running for) president.

    It can be difficult for those who go straight from private business into politics to accept that everything about your existence will be scrutinized and exploited. Everything.

    It is practically a Great Moment In American History that Barron Trump has remained off limits following the Rosie O'Donnell attack.

  4. #354

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    I'm not an Elizabeth Warren supporter but unless she was fully aware she had no American Indian background, l don't really hold it against her. If her parents had always told her she had the background, it's something you would tend to believe. I'm a little younger than she is but l remember as kids, we thought it was cool if you could claim you were part NA.

    Same for Stitt. Unless he's aware he's not, it's a big bunch of nothing.

  5. #355

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I'm not an Elizabeth Warren supporter but unless she was fully aware she had no American Indian background, l don't really hold it against her. If her parents had always told her she had the background, it's something you would tend to believe. I'm a little younger than she is but l remember as kids, we thought it was cool if you could claim you were part NA.

    Same for Stitt. Unless he's aware he's not, it's a big bunch of nothing.
    To my knowledge (I could always be proved wrong) he didn't use his "heritage" to get an upper hand at university or business as Warren appears to have done. Frankly, having been around him some, been to his house, met his kids (a long time ago) I was never aware of his Cherokee enrollment. It just wasn't a thing that came up. And you'd think an Inc. 500 company might highlight native ownership. Seems the opportunity was their if someone wanted to exploit it.
    '

  6. #356

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    To my knowledge (I could always be proved wrong) he didn't use his "heritage" to get an upper hand at university or business as Warren appears to have done. Frankly, having been around him some, been to his house, met his kids (a long time ago) I was never aware of his Cherokee enrollment. It just wasn't a thing that came up. And you'd think an Inc. 500 company might highlight native ownership. Seems the opportunity was their if someone wanted to exploit it.
    '
    Plenty of assumptions in that post to justify your apologetics.

    Has Stitt's use of his heritage been put under a microscope like the type of POTUS candidate scrutiny Warren's has? Why do we even know about Stitt now? No need, some of his use is well known. Prior to the election, he campaigned with his heritage as a strength.

    Kevin Stitt, the founder of a successful mortgage company, is seeking the Republican nomination for governor. Though his campaign biography doesn't mention his tribal affiliation, he has made no secret of his Cherokee roots.

    "As a registered Cherokee, I know first-hand what a tremendous benefit the tribes have been to our state, creating tens of thousands of jobs, expanding health care options in rural Oklahoma, and more," Stitt said in response to a MuskogeePolitico survey, when asked about upcoming gaming compact negotiations.


    https://www.indianz.com/News/2018/07...-tie-for-g.asp

  7. #357

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Well, as with Warren, DNA tests give you a pretty definitive picture of who you are and would put it all to bed.

    As a side note, l find the PBS show Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. absolutely facinating. It's opened my eyes a lot to the plight of African Americans having the sense of not knowing who they are and Jews whose ancestry has been nothing but death and rejection.

  8. #358

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Well, as with Warren, DNA tests give you a pretty definitive picture of who you are and would put it all to bed.

    As a side note, l find the PBS show Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. absolutely facinating. It's opened my eyes a lot to the plight of African Americans having the sense of not knowing who they are and Jews whose ancestry has been nothing but death and rejection.
    Are you calling for Stitt to take a DNA test? If it shows zero blood relation he will still be on the rolls. Hers shows she has some and she never will be.

    Fun to watch the acrobatics on this issue.

  9. #359

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Plenty of assumptions in that post to justify your apologetics.

    Has Stitt's use of his heritage been put under a microscope like the type of POTUS candidate scrutiny Warren's has? Why do we even know about Stitt now? No need, some of his use is well known. Prior to the election, he campaigned with his heritage as a strength.

    Kevin Stitt, the founder of a successful mortgage company, is seeking the Republican nomination for governor. Though his campaign biography doesn't mention his tribal affiliation, he has made no secret of his Cherokee roots.

    "As a registered Cherokee, I know first-hand what a tremendous benefit the tribes have been to our state, creating tens of thousands of jobs, expanding health care options in rural Oklahoma, and more," Stitt said in response to a MuskogeePolitico survey, when asked about upcoming gaming compact negotiations.


    https://www.indianz.com/News/2018/07...-tie-for-g.asp
    Apoligetics = failing to notice the one time he mentioned it in an interview when asked about the tribal compacts specifically.

    My point was that he wasn't broadcasting his tribal heritage, specifically in instances where it seems like it would have benefited him personally. This pretty much helps to reinforce my point. It's not apologetics. It's just recognizing reality.

  10. #360

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Apoligetics = failing to notice the one time he mentioned it in an interview when asked about the tribal compacts specifically.

    My point was that he wasn't broadcasting his tribal heritage, specifically in instances where it seems like it would have benefited him personally. This pretty much helps to reinforce my point. It's not apologetics. It's just recognizing reality.
    But he did, as listed in the article.

  11. #361

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Are you calling for Stitt to take a DNA test? If it shows zero blood relation he will still be on the rolls. Hers shows she has some and she never will be.

    Fun to watch the acrobatics on this issue.
    Acrobatics?

    Stitt was told he was on the rolls. He is.

    Warren was possibly lied to for years, or at minimum she didn't take the time to look into it because it was convenient for her.

  12. #362

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    But he did, as listed in the article.
    The acrobatics you go through for a single "gotcha" is always fun to watch.

    Can't find it on a single bio or campaign site. But he mentioned it once.

    mkjeeves: "Stitt won't shut up about his heritage."

  13. #363

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Are you calling for Stitt to take a DNA test? If it shows zero blood relation he will still be on the rolls. Hers shows she has some and she never will be.

    Fun to watch the acrobatics on this issue.
    I don't really care. If its such an issue, its the definative answer.

  14. #364

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The acrobatics you go through for a single "gotcha" is always fun to watch.

    Can't find it on a single bio or campaign site. But he mentioned it once.

    mkjeeves: "Stitt won't shut up about his heritage."
    Here's his spokesperson at the time talking to the press about it, which happened to be printed in arguably the state's largest newspaper. But no one knew or was supposed to know, right? Other than from press releases and statements about it you mean.

    Stitt is citizen of Cherokee Nation

    Stitt is a citizen of the Cherokee Nation as a descendant of his great grandfather, Robert Benton Dawson.

    Stitt's great grandmother, Claira Claypole — spelled Claypool in some family documents — worked for William C. Rogers, the last Cherokee Nation principal chief before Oklahoma statehood, according to Stitt campaign spokeswoman Donelle Harder.

    https://oklahoman.com/article/560279...ue-in-oklahoma

  15. #365

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Here's his spokesperson at the time talking to the press about it, which happened to be printed in arguably the state's largest newspaper. But no one knew or was supposed to know, right? Other than from press releases and statements about it you mean.

    Stitt is citizen of Cherokee Nation

    Stitt is a citizen of the Cherokee Nation as a descendant of his great grandfather, Robert Benton Dawson.

    Stitt's great grandmother, Claira Claypole — spelled Claypool in some family documents — worked for William C. Rogers, the last Cherokee Nation principal chief before Oklahoma statehood, according to Stitt campaign spokeswoman Donelle Harder.

    https://oklahoman.com/article/560279...ue-in-oklahoma
    Uhh...that was just the Oklahoman reporting it. There was no quotation. The mention of it is also incredibly out of place in a piece discussing potential policy decisions, as native affairs was not a topic on hand.

    But I regress. You got me. You nailed me.

    In the same article:
    Stitt, who grew up in Norman and now owns a mortgage company in the Tulsa area, said he is proud of his Cherokee heritage but he has never been active in the tribe. His mother was not either, he said.
    Which is exactly the point I was making. He recognizes it when prompted, but otherwise he isn't promoting it because in reality it is such a non-factor in his life.

    Saying he respects his heritage (especially when you live in Oklahoma) is a rather glad handing thing to say. What else is he going to say. He's embarrassed and wished it weren't the case. Can you imagine?

  16. #366

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Uhh...that was just the Oklahoman reporting it. There was no quotation. The mention of it is also incredibly out of place in a piece discussing potential policy decisions, as native affairs was not a topic on hand.

    But I regress. You got me. You nailed me.

    In the same article:


    Which is exactly the point I was making. He recognizes it when prompted, but otherwise he isn't promoting it because in reality it is such a non-factor in his life.

    Saying he respects his heritage (especially when you live in Oklahoma) is a rather glad handing thing to say. What else is he going to say. He's embarrassed and wished it weren't the case. Can you imagine?
    No surprise, I am not at all a fan of Gov. Stitt. I consider him a huge swing and a miss

  17. #367

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    No surprise, I am not at all a fan of Gov. Stitt. I consider him a huge swing and a miss
    I will say being the governor seems like a thankless job. I honestly can't think of a governor I have actually thought did a good job (on the whole).

  18. #368

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    From the Tulsa World...

    Gov. Kevin Stitt on Friday again raised the possibility of bringing nontribal casinos to the state, telling the Tulsa World, “Let me bring commercial casinos in, give out just four commercial licenses, and it would be $350 million to the state.”

    Stitt, who is under a federal gag order, quickly clarified he was speaking hypothetically in response to a question about states that receive nothing from tribal gaming.

    Under the scenario he laid out, Stitt said, the tribes “could keep their $150 million and pay zero.”


    https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/gov-...ign=user-share

    And here's a story from ABC news. Imagine that.

    https://abcn.ws/3cnSqKa

  19. #369

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Welp.. the nuclear option. At this stage though, I'd be willing to wager that the tribes really wouldn't mind competing against competitors who were paying taxes while the tribes pay nothing. All the while, the party which ran that sweet little church mouse campaign against the lottery would be bringing in unrestricted gaming? What does this party have to do in order to lose evangelical support?

  20. #370

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    I hope they bring in non tribal casinos.

  21. #371

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Threatening to fully legalize gambling and bring out of state gambling corporations from California and New Jersey into the state in order to pressure the highly popular tribes of Oklahoma to agree to pay more taxes in a state full of Southern Baptists where most people think taxes, gambling, and California are evil.

    It's a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for him.

  22. #372

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Threatening to fully legalize gambling and bring out of state gambling corporations from California and New Jersey into the state in order to pressure the highly popular tribes of Oklahoma to agree to pay more taxes in a state full of Southern Baptists where most people think taxes, gambling, and California are evil.

    It's a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for him.
    Most casino companies that count are Nevada based. This whole line of thought and discussion from Governor Stitt illustrates his (almost willful) lack of knowledge regarding the casino business. Commercial casino companies are not coming to Oklahoma because the State of Oklahoma and the tribal casinos have used the Nevada tax model to establish their operations in the best markets in the state. There is nothing left that would support the investment in Oklahoma by outside companies. The Chickasaw and Choctaw have build resorts in Thackerville and Durant that will dominate the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex for the next 20 years if any company tries to compete, Oklahoma County is off limits, Tulsa is saturated and the rest of the big opportunities are state line operations that have already been staked out.

    I am convinced that he feels in his soul that casino gambling is a sin, and he morally cannot engage is business with entities that profit from it. This drives his decisions that appear nonsensical at times.

  23. #373

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Most casino companies that count are Nevada based. This whole line of thought and discussion from Governor Stitt illustrates his (almost willful) lack of knowledge regarding the casino business. Commercial casino companies are not coming to Oklahoma because the State of Oklahoma and the tribal casinos have used the Nevada tax model to establish their operations in the best markets in the state. There is nothing left that would support the investment in Oklahoma by outside companies. The Chickasaw and Choctaw have build resorts in Thackerville and Durant that will dominate the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex for the next 20 years if any company tries to compete, Oklahoma County is off limits, Tulsa is saturated and the rest of the big opportunities are state line operations that have already been staked out.

    I am convinced that he feels in his soul that casino gambling is a sin, and he morally cannot engage is business with entities that profit from it. This drives his decisions that appear nonsensical at times.
    Personally I feel gambling is morally wrong and it has absolutely 0.00000% to do with any biblical teaching. I would feel the same way if the Astros got to put a guy on second every inning as well. It's impure. It's unfair, and it's rigged.

    I would not judge an individual for partaking in gambling but it pains me to think that as a state we condone it.

    Imagine if you brought a device in to help you count cards. You would promptly be asked to leave. Yet that and so much more is essentially what they employ on their "customers".

  24. #374

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    the tribal casinos have used the Nevada tax model to establish their operations in the best markets in the state. There is nothing left that would support the investment in Oklahoma by outside companies..


    i'm sorry but this simple is not true if the state gave out 4 liences for casino resorts actaully in tulsa / okc they would have a big advantage over the tribal casinos

  25. #375

    Default Re: Governor Stitt - Surprising Start

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i'm sorry but this simple is not true if the state gave out 4 liences for casino resorts actaully in tulsa / okc they would have a big advantage over the tribal casinos
    I'm sure the owners of Remington Park and those associated with its continuing success would be a hard "no" on this latest scheme.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cornett paying 5-1 on Predictit to beat Stitt
    By TheSteveHunt in forum Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2018, 07:17 AM
  2. Surprising Face of a First American
    By kelroy55 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2015, 08:05 AM
  3. 15 Surprising Facts About Immigration
    By Prunepicker in forum Politics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 10:01 AM
  5. Governor
    By mranderson in forum Politics
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 04:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO