Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Edmond Railyard

Default Re: Edmond Railyard

I saw the menu posted, are the other places also that expensive. way too expensive for those of us who are retired on a fixed income. I was looking forward to this but now not so much. I guess I'll continue eating at home.

The amount of capital this project took leaves them no choice, rents were pretty high which leads to high food prices. paying for the atmosphere as well as the food.

Hopefully outdoor spaces like these do really well as they're a lot safer than indoor spaces. They just need to figure out ways (e.g., misters, fans) to keep them cooler as temperatures rise.

They are expanding to the east along 1st next to Cities Ice Cream; taking over the old furniture store.

Commonplace Books (from Midtown) will be one of the tenants.

What is common place books? new or used or speciality?

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    What is common place books? new or used or speciality?
    New books, locally owned. Their other location is in The Edge in Midtown.

Ok thanks. glad to see more book shops.

Pete, are these existing buildings or they will be built new?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Pete, are these existing buildings or they will be built new?
    Existing.

I'm amazed that furniture store held on as long as it did. I hope Commonplace does well. Evoke is nearby, plus the Mule. Like a mini- Midtown in downtown Edmond.

After decades, I was very sad to see that McCall's has shut its doors.

But Frenzy Brewery is in the process of fully opening and that's a great addition. Sunnyside Diner and The Patriarch as well.

We go with a couple other families weekly to hang out, eat, drink, and let our kiddos play. We've talked about how much we love having a place like this up in Edmond, and we agree it keeps coming up to about 90% great but just can't push to 100. For example, if you buy alcohol you have to stay within the confines of where you bought it. Say I buy a beer at Hot Wingz, you have to either stay there or "within sight" of the bar. And this is the same with all the places there. And 1884 is a sweet place and they apparently own the "right" to have alcohol in the large outdoor seating area -- and they are quick to show up at your table if you have alcohol and you didn't buy it from them. The problem with the Railyard is that it does not feel like the OKC Collective at all. It is all very disconnected and doesn't feel 'collected'. It's just several restaurants that have come together in an upscale foodcourt atmosphere, however there aren't even many tables in the main hallway. They need to allow alcohol to move freely on the property so family and friends can come, order whatever kind of food they want, and take it and their drinks to the open area in the back or to one of the very few tables in the other areas. Anyway, we love going there but they certainly need to work out some collective kinks.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    We go with a couple other families weekly to hang out, eat, drink, and let our kiddos play. We've talked about how much we love having a place like this up in Edmond, and we agree it keeps coming up to about 90% great but just can't push to 100. For example, if you buy alcohol you have to stay within the confines of where you bought it. Say I buy a beer at Hot Wingz, you have to either stay there or "within sight" of the bar. And this is the same with all the places there. And 1884 is a sweet place and they apparently own the "right" to have alcohol in the large outdoor seating area -- and they are quick to show up at your table if you have alcohol and you didn't buy it from them. The problem with the Railyard is that it does not feel like the OKC Collective at all. It is all very disconnected and doesn't feel 'collected'. It's just several restaurants that have come together in an upscale foodcourt atmosphere, however there aren't even many tables in the main hallway. They need to allow alcohol to move freely on the property so family and friends can come, order whatever kind of food they want, and take it and their drinks to the open area in the back or to one of the very few tables in the other areas. Anyway, we love going there but they certainly need to work out some collective kinks.
    That's interesting.

At the Collective and Parlor, the alcohol sales are done by the owners of the development, not the individual vendors. So, you can drink and be served anywhere on those properties.

Pretty much all food halls operate this way, and not doing so is likely going to limit the success of the Railyard.

Individual alcohol sales licenses limited to on-premise. They can get cited for allowing their on-premise alcohol sale to leave their defined premise. (ie...basically becomes a to go drink at that point)

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Agreed ��

Mainly because this isn't a food hall. These are individual restaurants, albeit small, that are all enclosed and are their own venues that then all share the same hallway/pathway. Nothing about the Railyard is really "open". I absolutely love this place, just saying that as is, it's a group of individually leased restaurant spaces and kitchens that all share a building.

It's really more of a food mall than any sort of collective, shared kitchen/restaurant space.

^^ It may not be fair to equate them, but unfortunately, I know I do. I think the problem is after seeing The Collective (or The Parlor which I prefer) folks see what this could have been, so it's hard not to be a little letdown. It's fine for what it is, and is very good for what it is. But it could have been more, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Mainly because this isn't a food hall. These are individual restaurants, albeit small, that are all enclosed and are their own venues that then all share the same hallway/pathway. Nothing about the Railyard is really "open". I absolutely love this place, just saying that as is, it's a group of individually leased restaurant spaces and kitchens that all share a building.

It's really more of a food mall than any sort of collective, shared kitchen/restaurant space.
    Except the only real seating area for almost all these places is the patio.

I'm sure it was easier to sign leases with restaurants where they are allowed their own liquor sales, but there is a good reason why that is centralized in similar multi-kitchen arrangements.

Just saw on Instagram that Summer Moon Coffee is opening at Railyard later this summer. I bet it does great here.

So first 1884 in the Railyard stopped serving hot food, then later GogiGo closed, and now Taqueria El Camino (the taco/Mexican place) there has closed. Has the Railyard lost its luster? The last few times my family has gone, we've noticed the slow-down in crowd there. We love it and were sad to see Gogi, well. . . . go, and now the taco place. And really, those were the only two places my family really liked there. We're glad Empire has opened and it's really good.

^
    Taqueria El Camino is in the process of moving to 9120 N. MacArthur.

Gogi Go closed both locations, including the original in Midtown.

I know 1884 is doing well.

It seems the Railyard is evolving. I bet they find other operators to take those closed spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^
    Taqueria El Camino is in the process of moving to 9120 N. MacArthur.

Gogi Go closed both locations, including the original in Midtown.

I know 1884 is doing well.

It seems the Railyard is evolving. I bet they find other operators to take those closed spots.
    According to comments on a post on their facebook page, Gogi Go is permanently closed and will not be coming back. How disappointing, I enjoyed them every time I ate there.

We really enjoy the drinks at 1884. They had a reuben that I would get every time we'd go until they stopped serving. Anyway, we meet our neighbors at the RY often and let our kids run around etc. It's really a great place to do that. We have always thought that if the restaurants there would get all in on the same point of sale system and they put some ordering kiosks around the place it would really improve the flow. For example on busy nights those restaurants are in such little rooms and they get incredibly crowded, seems it could be mitigated by the kiosks where you can select which restaurant you want to order from, then it takes you to their menu where you can order and then possibly have one big ticket that you can pay right there for all of it. IDK, that might take too much work or be too expensive, but it'd be cool. Anyway, I hope they're able to secure some new tenants in there with great food.

We've been spending a lot more time at the Ice House than the Railyard lately... the open area is less dirty for the kids to run around and the food is great, even before AS and the ice cream shop open. El Camino was tasty but could be very slow. If the Railyard spend some money on paving the huge, crushed granite area, we might spend more time there.

Thread Information