Widgets Magazine

Thread: Where to Get Canadian Money in OKC

Default Where to Get Canadian Money in OKC

We'll be flying from OKC to Vancouver for a trip in the snow (no, we aren't crazy). We haven't been to Canada for several years, so I can't recall...
    1. Can we get Canadian money at a bank here? Or...
    2. Should we just wait and get it when we arrive in Canada? Thanks

Default Re: Where to Get Canadian Money in OKC

Pretty much any bank can convert money, but many of them want advance notice. It's not excessive, just a day or two heads up.

3. Default Re: Where to Get Canadian Money in OKC

I would just wait and pull money out of an ATM while you are there. I do this when I go to Europe and it's a lot less hassle. I got euros from my bank once and they charged me a silly amount so I never did it again.

Are you a AAA member? You can get it done there. Most banks will also do it, with advance notice, if you have an account.

You really don't need to do it here. Everyplace there takes dollars although the exchange is usually not great that way. Visit the ATM and you will get the best exchange rate and it's super easy. Have fun in Vancouver, it is my favorite city!

I always use my credit card to beep cash. The bank, for some odd reason, has a fee built into the exchange rate. As in “there’s no fee but we rip you off on the rate.” Some credit cards (like Amex) have no fee for foreign currency, sometimes it only applies to atm transactions and even furthermore only certain atm processors. I just beep cash at the first international bank I see.

Also be wary of making purchases on your phone apps like uber/lyft if it’s attached to you bank card. I made a very very expensive mistake years ago when I used my bank card for everything and saw a 3% fee attached to every penny. +$5 for atm use.

Yes to previous poster. Most anyone will take usd but at 1=1. You will lose a fortune. Mexico has had this weird 10 to 1 thing for as long as I can remember but in reality it’s more like 18 to 1. Tourist towns even have price tags in dollars. And sure enough he price changes (for the better) when you pull out a few thousand pesos.

Most national banks like Chase or BoA will do it for no fee if you are a customer. This is the best way to avoid any type of fees. And most credit cards waive foreign exchange fees when used over the border. Just dont use the airport or any other small exchange kiosk, you get hosed on those.

My point exactly about the bank. No fees from the bank but if you check the banks exchange rate its considerably higher than on the money market.

I am a BofA customer and as long as I get cash from their partner banks I don't have the extra fees.

Pro tip for international travelers:

Get a free Charles Schwab Investor Checking Account. Your ATM fees at any ATM in the entire world are automatically reimbursed at the end of the month, and your money is exchanged at the market rate. Just link the account to your regular checking account and transfer money in and out as necessary.

12. Post Re: Where to Get Canadian Money in OKC

We always go here, Vancouver Bullion and Currency Exchange. They have the best rates, here is an example: rate for this weekend was 1:1.33. VBCE exchanged at 1:1.31590!

3 locations but we always go to the one in the Vancouver Financial District, at 800 West Pender Street, Suite 12 Vancouver, BC V6C 2V6

Also, if you're with AT&T call them prior to going and let them know how long you;ll need internaitonal roaming, they usually give it to me for free.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

13. Default Re: Where to Get Canadian Money in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I am a BofA customer and as long as I get cash from their partner banks I don't have the extra fees.
    BOA ended this policy. Now they international fee.

Literally everywhere in Vancouver/Whistler takes credit cards. I doubt you'll need much cash.

15. Default Re: Where to Get Canadian Money in OKC

credit cards charge foreign transaction and conversion fees, and the rates are not as good. Also many eateries have minimums to use cc or just pass the use fee on to you anyway - particularly at the very many ethnic shoppes and restaurants in the city or where they are cash only.

Best to bring less than $10,000 USD and exchange cash (and at VBCE) if you want to get the most for your money.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    credit cards charge foreign transaction and conversion fees, and the rates are not as good. Also many eateries have minimums to use cc or just pass the use fee on to you anyway - particularly at the very many ethnic shoppes and restaurants in the city or where they are cash only.

Best to bring less than $10,000 USD and exchange cash (and at VBCE) if you want to get the most for your money.
    There are tons of credit cards that charge no foreign transaction fees.

Honestly even if someone doesn't have a credit card that waives foreign transaction fees, the 3% (or whatever) that the credit card company will charge will still be more favorable than converting hard currency.

The credit card companies convert at the live market rate, so to say that their rates aren't as favorable simply isn't true.

I use my credit card as much as possible. My wife gets cash and says everytime we travel and she uses her card, the number gets ripped off and she has to get a new card when we get back. I haven't had the problem, but I don't use it at the small shops like she does.

We're going to Canada in March. I have a Schwab checking account. I'll see about getting a pin number to use at worldwide ATMs.

On phones and ATT... last year when we went they offered a plan where you pay $10 a day for any day your phone pings a foreign cell tower and all services are the same as at home for both roaming and data use. It's the data use in foreign countries that can get you in trouble by my understanding. Prior to adding that feature, we just turned cellular data off when in Canada and used the phones as little as possible. So much better to have it available!

International Day Pass: https://www.att.com/offers/international.html

Thread Information