Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    We really enjoyed the EWR-OKC non-stop recently. Any chance we will ever get a non-stop to Boston? Milwaukee?
    Boston is possible, way before Milwaukee.

2. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    This. I've seriously pondered status matching to Delta multiple times, but DL's schedule and connectivity just doesn't come close to AA. Multiple nonstops to LAX (our most frequent destination), plus multiple daily flights to Hawaii (on 777s too) plus their impressive worldwide connectivity out of DFW... despite AA basically turning into complete trash, we stay loyal. Schedule/network trumps all ... for now.
    We prefer AA because they have the best aircraft out of OKC too. Mostly mainline with first, MCE, and coach to DFW, then a lot of E175 and CRJ700 with first, MCE, and coach to nearly all of their other hubs. I don't prefer their CRJ900s because of so few MCE seats. We virtually never choose coach seats but we will if the first price is too high on the CRJ900 flights.

United has a pretty decent schedule too, but I don't like that they mix in some CRJ200, and often at the time I would prefer to fly out. And Delta just doesn't have good connectivity. We only fly Southwest when their non-stop timing works perfectly. I don't like the cattle car concept, but I do appreciate the all-mainline and their good service.

It seems that DL has really increased their prices out of OKC. I used to fly exclusively DL and have about 700k towards my million miler but have found myself booking United more and more due to pricing. I am finding DL to be 20-40% higher on flights than United or AA.

4. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    It seems that DL has really increased their prices out of OKC. I used to fly exclusively DL and have about 700k towards my million miler but have found myself booking United more and more due to pricing. I am finding DL to be 20-40% higher on flights than United or AA.
    Delta is very, um, proud of their non-stop flights out of OKC. I basically ignore them when looking at connecting flights (though the one time I didn't recently I have to admit they had the most expensive price). I have found their non-stops to MSP and SLC much higher than similar non-stops on United to SFO, or AA to LAX, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    Delta is very, um, proud of their non-stop flights out of OKC. I basically ignore them when looking at connecting flights (though the one time I didn't recently I have to admit they had the most expensive price). I have found their non-stops to MSP and SLC much higher than similar non-stops on United to SFO, or AA to LAX, for example.
    But thank goodness OKC leased their prized new gates all to Delta. Delta hasn't invested jack in this city or its airport, and gets handed those gates with no promises of increased services. For all we know they will sit empty to keep American from using them. Poor vision from the Airport board.

Just because they are the “new” gates doesn’t mean they will be the “good” gates.

The other airlines May prefer having more gates and then being closer together rather than having the few “new” gates.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Just because they are the “new” gates doesn’t mean they will be the “good” gates.

The other airlines May prefer having more gates and then being closer together rather than having the few “new” gates.
    I am wondering if Delta is going to keep their current gates, as well. If not, you are right. I am operating under the assumption they will be keeping them.

I’ll have to search. I’m under the impression that they are moving to the new gates rather than adding them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.c...-world-airport

When completed Delta Airlines will transfer its current gate locations in the central concourse to gates in the new wing. The project is expected to be complete in the second quarter of 2021.

Ok, then I retract some of my complaints.

Thanks for searching.

If it were me I would move WN to the new concourse, and I would move F9, G4, and AS to their old gates, giving UA and AA all of the west concourse plus 2 empty gates.

WN being OKC's busiest carrier, it would eliminate congestion in the center concourse by shifting 70K passengers a month further away. It makes no sense to have that many people piling up around the main security checkpoint and cramped food court. This would spread the load out.

I wonder if AA traffic passes WN in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I wonder if AA traffic passes WN in 2021
    Could happen. Still makes sense to keep your heavier carriers on the ends. It’s not “convenient” for the passengers but OKC is so small, the farthest gate is only 5 minutes from the center food court.

Also, in the event of delayed flights when passengers begin piling up you want them further away from the center. 200-300 people around Gate 16 is a mess.

But it sounds like DL will still get the gates but if I were OKC I would use this opportunity to force a much needed rebalancing of the concourses.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Could happen. Still makes sense to keep your heavier carriers on the ends. It’s not “convenient” for the passengers but OKC is so small, the farthest gate is only 5 minutes from the center food court.

Also, in the event of delayed flights when passengers begin piling up you want them further away from the center. 200-300 people around Gate 16 is a mess.

But it sounds like DL will still get the gates but if I were OKC I would use this opportunity to force a much needed rebalancing of the concourses.
    Hard to break a contract just for convenience. Especially when they may not have the money to break it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Hard to break a contract just for convenience. Especially when they may not have the money to break it.
    Usually airport leases are very flexible for operational changes required by the airport.

Now that Stillwater has commercial service, why do college football charters still use Will Rogers? I see that Kansas State flew into KOKC today with a United 737-900. What additional equipment/personal does SWO need to accompany college football charters?

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    Now that Stillwater has commercial service, why do college football charters still use Will Rogers? I see that Kansas State flew into KOKC today with a United 737-900. What additional equipment/personal does SWO need to accompany college football charters?
    SWO is rated to Index B for airport firefighting (aircraft less than 126ft long). Their airfield notes indicate they can accommodate Index C upon request - maybe they no longer support that.

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    Lots of team stay in okc and not Stillwater.

19. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

This NOTAM may have something to do with it: KSWO STILLWATER RGNL
    09/030 (A0013/19) - APRON ALL CLSD TO ACFT MORE THAN 25000LB EXC 24 HR PPR 4056245463. 24 SEP 14:06
    2019 UNTIL 29 SEP 04:59 2019. CREATED: 24 SEP 14:06 2019

I think GoPokes got it right. Hotel options are better in OKC plus it keeps from locals messing with the opposing team.

The NOTAM was just recently created but one would think that if an airline was to fly into SWO then it would have priority and made far in advance.

Let’s say your team wants to stay in okc (or Tulsa) and not Stillwater to avoid locals plus okc hotels have higher capabilities.

Most teams fly in on Friday.

Fly to Stillwater.
    Practice. Find dinner for 125 people or
    Drive to okc then get dinner
    Sleep.
    Drive to Stillwater for game.
    Drive back to okc for shower, dinner, and gear.
    Drive back to Stillwater for flight.

Vs.

Land in okc Friday.
    Walk through.
    Dinner.
    Drive to Stillwater
    Play
    Shower.
    Airport.

22. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

no practice for the OKC option though.

I suspect even while flights go into OKC I bet the team probably stays in Stillwater but then again, it;s only 45 mile drive so maybe going to practice Friday then back to the city isn't that big a deal. or maybe they practice at a high school field in the city making things even easier? I know the NBA will get a university or high school for practice if not the arena itself.

This is obviously a non-issue for OU opponents since Norman is in the core OKC metro area, obviously everybody would stay in the city, particularly the media and out-of-towners.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Effective Oct 27 OKC will be a launch market for United’s new CRJ-550 model. For those that don’t know, it is a CRJ-700 that is reduced from 70 seats to 50 seats in a high premium configuration. Amenities include an expanded domestic first class cabin with a self-serve snack bar, as well as more in-cabin storage to accommodate carry ons.
    Service will be operated by GoJet with round trip to Chicago ORD.
    Other launch markets are:

Allentown
    Bentonville
    Cedar Rapids
    Cincinnati
    Columbus
    Des Moines
    Grand Rapids
    Greensboro
    Harrisburg
    Indianapolis
    Madison