Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Josh Ryan - do you still participate here? I feel like I got screwed by airport parking and would like to file a complaint but I'm not sure who to contact. Can you please advise?

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    I don't think so - the different classes of travel will have the same amount of legroom as on other planes, it's just a more premium-heavy layout, plus snack bar in F.
    Correct. A fantastic benefit that doesn’t seem to be getting much attention is all of the storage room inside for carryon bags. Being able to not valet check your bag will be a huge benefit for all (or most) customers. I know a large source of misconnections in the hubs are Express inbounds on minimum connect time itineraries are a result of customers waiting for valet bags. There will be 3 closets on board just for bag storage.

https://flyokc.com/sites/default/fil...nplanement.pdf

January numbers are in, 2019 off to a flat start.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    https://flyokc.com/sites/default/fil...nplanement.pdf

January numbers are in, 2019 off to a flat start.
    To be fair, there has been a lot of crappy weather that may have an impact on travellers. Also, no new destinations recently to help increase desire to travel.

Yay for Delta growth!

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Yay for Delta growth!
    +1

Quite a few diversions from both DFW and DAL inbound to OKC right now (12:54pm 2/13/19)...no weather. FAA says traffic management program in affect due to "Other." Anyone know what the "Other" is. Pretty strange to see diversions with weather not in the DFW area.

I believe there was a fire at DFW TRACON (approach/departure control).

Yeah, smoke. Stop is lifted now. I did see an Alaska flight land, and I saw an AA 321 on Flightradar24...

That would certainly qualify as "other." Very good, thanks for the info.

A friend whose flight arrives in OKC this afternoon said they were adding extra fuel and lining up a contingency airport due to wind before the flight took off

Sept 2019 UA extends 6x daily to DEN, upgrades one additional frequency to mainline (A320). 2x mainline now, both afternoon flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    A friend whose flight arrives in OKC this afternoon said they were adding extra fuel and lining up a contingency airport due to wind before the flight took off
    While there is some exceptions to when an alternate destination must be filed on the flight plan, this pretty much the standard procedure for most flights anywhere, that they were even considering not implies the conditions were near ideal at the destination for at least an hour before and after planned landing time

Booked late tickets to FLL for spring break The cheapest ticket I could find on Delta was over 1000 each. Almost same flight times out of Wichita was just over $500 ticket. I am one of those that I like to fly out of my closest airport (Will Rogers is about 2 miles away) but for $2500 (5 tickets) I will drive.

I have been tracking DL fights out of OKC compared to Wichita and Tulsa and it seems that OKC DL flights are consistently higher than the other two. Does DL have that big of a hold on OKC?

Anyone familiar with Wichita airport as far as easiest reasonable place to park for a week?

15. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

^ sounds like simple supply and demand. OKC either has very high demand or lower supply; either of which drives up the price. ICT/TUL either has very low demand or (hard to believe) higher supply - low prices. Subsidy can also come into play, this is very likely true with ICT.

Therefore, I suspect OKC has high demand relative to capacity resulting in high yield (price) for this FLL market. Hopefully Delta can increase supply out of OKC in the form of more mainline or larger airframes OR (even better) perhaps AAL can open up OKC-MIA since the demand is there.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

16. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Booked late tickets to FLL for spring break The cheapest ticket I could find on Delta was over 1000 each. Almost same flight times out of Wichita was just over $500 ticket. I am one of those that I like to fly out of my closest airport (Will Rogers is about 2 miles away) but for $2500 (5 tickets) I will drive.

I have been tracking DL fights out of OKC compared to Wichita and Tulsa and it seems that OKC DL flights are consistently higher than the other two. Does DL have that big of a hold on OKC?

Anyone familiar with Wichita airport as far as easiest reasonable place to park for a week?
    I fly Delta OKC-MSP on a relatively regular basis. Always a RJ, always full, and always over $500 pp no matter how far in advance you book and how odd of times you pick. Fares to Atlanta aren't bad usually, but Delta seems to be very happy with keeping supply very low and keeping an inferior product in OKC (CRJs rather than more ERJ-175 if they fly RJs on the route). This is one reason I am very frustrated that OKC leased them the new gates being built.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    I fly Delta OKC-MSP on a relatively regular basis. Always a RJ, always full, and always over $500 pp no matter how far in advance you book and how odd of times you pick. Fares to Atlanta aren't bad usually, but Delta seems to be very happy with keeping supply very low and keeping an inferior product in OKC (CRJs rather than more ERJ-175 if they fly RJs on the route). This is one reason I am very frustrated that OKC leased them the new gates being built.
    Hopefully the lease comes with some guarantees from Delta.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    I want to stick with Delta as I think they're run very well, but damn, out of OKC they make it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Hopefully the lease comes with some guarantees from Delta.
    While I understand “first come first served”, the city made a (typical) boneheaded move by letting the carrier that has the lowest gate utilization block the citizen’s investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I want to stick with Delta as I think they're run very well, but damn, out of OKC they make it hard.
    Yep. Best of the big airlines for sure.

Although, for price, my most recent purchase for a HNL trip was much better priced than last time, and my two recent trips to SJC were priced better than usual. Delta seems to be focused on better fares to the west, and keeping the higher fares to the east/southeast, where they control markets via Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Yep. Best of the big airlines for sure.

Although, for price, my most recent purchase for a HNL trip was much better priced than last time, and my two recent trips to SJC were priced better than usual. Delta seems to be focused on better fares to the west, and keeping the higher fares to the east/southeast, where they control markets via Delta.
    Not necessarily a East vs West thing. In response to the poster above , DL has a monopoly on the OKC-MSP route for those that want to fly nonstop, and therefore charges a premium. MSP is an expensive market anyway. There's much more competition to ATL, which forces DL to keep their fares lower to compete.

While I understand “first come first served”, the city made a (typical) boneheaded move by letting the carrier that has the lowest gate utilization block the citizen’s investment.
    Sorry can you clarify the last part? What is being blocked?

23. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post

I've flown out of Wichita before for the very same reason ($$$). It's an easy airport for security, etc. When I was there (5 yrs ago), they had plenty of parking, but no long term covered parking. They may not have any covered parking at all. They may have added some or there may be 3rd party solutions, but I was fine parking outside for the 4-5 trip we took.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Sorry can you clarify the last part? What is being blocked?
    After 10am, their gate utilization is essentially 1 gate. And they will be the exclusive tenant. So the citizens build a $100-million upgrades concourse that only a handful of passengers will use outside of peak hours. Should have gone to southwest or American who would utilize the new gates much heavier and thus give a better experience to more passengers.

After 10am, their gate utilization is essentially 1 gate. And they will be the exclusive tenant. So the citizens build a $100-million upgrades concourse that only a handful of passengers will use outside of peak hours. Should have gone to southwest or American who would utilize the new gates much heavier and thus give a better experience to more passengers.
    Hence why I'm thinking there were guarantees. If not, I am sure OKC can get out of their contract.

Thread Information