Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I am looking at flying with GK to Las Vegas at the end of June. Anything I should look out for or need to know prior to traveling with them?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I am looking at flying with GK to Las Vegas at the end of June. Anything I should look out for or need to know prior to traveling with them?
    Allegiant?

I flew them LAX-OKC once. It was an okay experience. Just set your bar low. It’s cramped, and was a bare bones service. The average flier is also a different (less traveled) crowd than what you’d see on a traditional carrier; so in general I found the boarding process to be a bit more chaotic as people were easily confused, flight was noisier as more people were talking across rows (which is generally against public transport etiquette) and there were more children and babies.

If you’re just looking for a ride and none of the other stuff matters it’s a good alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Allegiant?

I flew them LAX-OKC once. It was an okay experience. Just set your bar low. It’s cramped, and was a bare bones service. The average flier is also a different (less traveled) crowd than what you’d see on a traditional carrier; so in general I found the boarding process to be a bit more chaotic as people were easily confused, flight was noisier as more people were talking across rows (which is generally against public transport etiquette) and there were more children and babies.

If you’re just looking for a ride and none of the other stuff matters it’s a good alternative.
    Yeah, we are looking for a non-stop option to fly out, watch the Energy FC play the Las Vegas Lights, enjoy the town for a day or two and fly back

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Allegiant?

That's a good assessment, I had a similar experience on a flight to Orlando.

Buyer beware: https://kfor.com/2017/07/24/its-ridi...-in-las-vegas/

If they cancel your flight, you're SOL. So have a backup plan or make sure you buy you ticket with a credit card has travel insurance included.

I have not flown them but my wife has. NEVER AGAIN! In case I wasn't clear....NEVER AGAIN. Flight to Destin on a Sunday at 230. (Spring break trip with condo rented for week) Cancelled flight and said could fly on the next flight on Thursday. Even worse....before cancelling, they said flight delayed to 4 ish. At four, flight cancelled. Wife and kids head home and are in the process of booking expensive last minute Delta the next day when she gets robo call at 5 saying flight is leaving at 545. Mad rush back to airport. Flight doesn't actually leave until 730. Trying to get a live person or getting any help was impossible.

Not worth the savings. Southwest does a non stop and has plenty of other flights to get you there if there is a problem.

7. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I found it to be a non event and worth the price. I usually fly SWA would def fly them again if needed.

Allegiant has raised their game I think. Lot less problems than before; mainly since they got rid of all their old MD and B757. All newer Airbus now.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    Allegiant has raised their game I think. Lot less problems than before; mainly since they got rid of all their old MD and B757. All newer Airbus now.
    Has anyone used Allegiant to Vegas lately? Prices are cheap if I don't want to select my own seat which i could careless. Bag fees are crazy but still cheaper to fly them to Vegas than anyone else.

I've flown Allegiant a few times to both Sanford-Orlando and to Vegas and was happy each time. I felt like it was very comparable to my Southwest experiences, and even in some cases better.

Flew Allegiant a couple of weeks ago to LAX and back. No issues whatsoever. I actually felt like there was more leg room and space in the cabin than the most recent SWA flight I took to BWI. But maybe that was just my mind playing tricks on me. The Allegiant A319 aisle is noticeably wider than other planes, which is nice. Like someone said previously, the clientele is a bit different than what you'd experience on a UAL, AA, or DL flight. Much louder and more people up and about.

Allegiant is decent low cost leisure airline. I could see a couple other routes out of OKC and/or TUL. Regionally they fly non-stop between XNA and BNA (Nashville), and between ICT and AZA (Mesa AZ). Both routes could potentially work here. SAN, MSY, FLL and PIE (Tampa FL) could be future options out of OKC/TUL (TUL already has a nonstop to PIE).

13. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

and I think OKC has (or had) nonstop to TPA and FLL iirc.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I blame the Space Age, but I find the constant use of codes and abbreviations to be the most masculine form of elitism. So I will ask again if someone can explain what those abbreviations in the last couple five posts represent in English?

XNA - Northwest Arkansas
    ICT - Wichita
    SAN - San Diego
    MSY - New Orleans
    FLL - Fort Lauderdale
    PIE - St Petersburg/Clearwater

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I blame the Space Age, but I find the constant use of codes and abbreviations to be the most masculine form of elitism. So I will ask again if someone can explain what those abbreviations in the last couple five posts represent in English?
    No offense, but this is just lazy. A 2 second google search would have yielded the answers you sought. Instead you made someone else do the work for you and had to wait 6 hours for those same answers. It’s not masculine nor elitism. It’s simply using common convention to discuss airports.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRyan View Post
    No offense, but this is just lazy. A 2 second google search would have yielded the answers you sought. Instead you made someone else do the work for you and had to wait 6 hours for those same answers. It’s not masculine nor elitism. It’s simply using common convention to discuss airports.
    This has nothing to do with laziness. I believe open forums, such as this one, provide the best service to the most people when the communication is easily understood at a quick glance. A good friend who is active in the Oklahoma Pilots Association frequently mentions the lack of female participation and difficulty in effective outreach. Air travel discussion is very male influenced and directed, and those groups like to use technical terms in discussion. But, that can easily become exclusionary when codes and abbreviations are heavily used and the readers comprehension is diverted to understanding the codes, rather than the original intent of the comment.

Lol

This has nothing to do with laziness. I believe open forums, such as this one, provide the best service to the most people when the communication is easily understood at a quick glance. A good friend who is active in the Oklahoma Pilots Association frequently mentions the lack of female participation and difficulty in effective outreach. Air travel discussion is very male influenced and directed, and those groups like to use technical terms in discussion. But, that can easily become exclusionary when codes and abbreviations are heavily used and the readers comprehension is diverted to understanding the codes, rather than the original intent of the comment.
    Argot is a common language that people that are collectively interested in something use. You are basically saying that a woman will not be able to understand it and it is gatekeeping. This is patently ridiculous, if you have traveled in an airport you would be exposed to these abbreviations over and over again. The abbreviations are not what you are making them out to be, and you are being lazy by not just googling it.

This might be the strangest thing I’ve ever seen someone be offended by in my 8 years on OKCtalk. Quit trying to create some kind of sexism or elitism outrage over nothing and use google instead...it’s one click away on your phone or computer. I didn’t understand what the codes meant when I first started reading this thread but because everyone here uses them it forced me to figure out what they meant...now I know all the airline and airport codes.

21. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

As someone who works for the FAA, I don't even know all the codes and have to do the Google search sometimes ��

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    This might be the strangest thing I’ve ever seen someone be offended by in my 8 years on OKCtalk. Quit trying to create some kind of sexism or elitism outrage over nothing and use google instead...it’s one click away on your phone or computer. I didn’t understand what the codes meant when I first started reading this thread but because everyone here uses them it forced me to figure out what they meant...now I know all the airline and airport codes.
    Yay learning instead of bitching

Nevermind, this is the internet. STOP DOING BUSINESS THAT WAY CAUSE I DONT UNDERSTAND

23. Default Re: 2019 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

The vast majority of the codes make sense. i.e. OKC = Oklahoma City; JFK = New York - John F. Kennedy Airport; AA = American Airlines. The ones that don't make sense, or only make a little sense, once you google them, if you read why they have that code it might help you remember them. i.e. IAH - "International Airport Houston" Houston Bush; MSY - "Moisant Stock Yards" New Orleans; ORD "ORcharD place" Chicago O'Hare. Sometimes knowing the history of a code helps you remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Agree. Where does it end? If this was a thread about baseball, there would potentially be many acronyms used such as ERA, RBI, or OPS. Is that also male elitism?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    As someone who works for the FAA, I don't even know all the codes and have to do the Google search sometimes ��
    Really? I feel like the codes used here are quite common in aviation. It's not like people here are frequently referring to exotic airports.

Thread Information