Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - January 2019

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January 2019

We should see the dryslot begin to fill in and the precipitation bulb will become more parallel with I-40. This tilt should coincide with the low's movement to the E.

Of course this is only what the HRRR models say is going to happen, and we all know how these things work.

To expand on my last post, here is a snapshot of later this evening when the low is really cranking through the state and the heaviest precipitation is falling all along the I-40 corridor.

Here is the current dilemma with the forecast. We have a giant dry slot that has basically split the Low in half. If you want more snow in OKC, you want this blue line to keep attempting to fill in to the south; and over the last 3-4 hours it gained some ground, but is losing it again. If this trend continues, the outcome will be the literal opposite of the forecast, in which north eastern sides of C OK receive the most precipitation and SW sides receive the least. Models are saying the low is going to be able to collapse onto the dryslot, but it is going to take a major push by the system to pull it off.

Dry Slot wins out, and probably done with snow in OKC.

[QUOTE=Anonymous.;1059909]Here is the current dilemma with the forecast. We have a giant dry slot that has basically split the Low in half. If you want more snow in OKC, you want this blue line to keep attempting to fill in to the south; and over the last 3-4 hours it gained some ground, but is losing it again. If this trend continues, the outcome will be the literal opposite of the forecast, in which north eastern sides of C OK receive the most precipitation and SW sides receive the least. Models are saying the low is going to be able to collapse onto the dryslot, but it is going to take a major push by the system to pull it off.

[/QUOT

Isnt Oklahoma amazing when it comes to winter weather. Just when i thought it looked like a sure thing with the snow here in the city.....we had lots of moisture, a seemingly perfect track of the storm, but then the warm air in the upper atmosphere rears its ugly head and now the infamous dry-slot. All one can do is laugh! But thankful for the rain for sure

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    Dry Slot wins out, and probably done with snow in OKC.
    The snow currently falling in Mustang says the dry slot can suck it.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    The snow currently falling in Mustang says the dry slot can suck it.
    hope it goes away and it comes down a Snow Storm.

Just checked RadarScope, appears to be LIGHT redevelopment between say Edmond then SW toward Chickasha. That reflective of the dry slot losing the battle?

Low is trying its hardest to close up the dry slot. You can see the new echos in blue forming inside the dry air, this is from the lift of the low pushing along the Red River. If it can continue the trend, I-40 corridor could get a solid little window of accumulation heading into tonight.

Here is HRRR predicting 2-3 inches across OKC area.

Winter Storm Warning trimmed away from C OK and left for just the W & SW part of the state.

Looks like that dry slot is closing over OKC.

Pretty nice snowfall right now here in SW OKC. Flakes not nearly as large as this morning, but steady. Temps at 34 per my weather station.

Wow -- in just the few minutes since my last post, the flakes are getting larger and the rate seems to be increasing!

Finally snowing in Norman!

Just got home Downtown to Kilpatrick Turnpike on 235N was 40ish but quite a noticeable changeover to transition of wet roads to slushy about to go frozen. Same with KP West all the way to Rockwell it was 40 (some were doing 50-55 others 35). Converting to more frozen than just water. My wheel wells were all full of snow so its gonna be dicey tonight. I did not see any wrecks old or new so thats good.

I expect the morning commute to be the worst of all week if it gets to 26 like NOAA shows. They might get treatment overnight if it stops but anything left wet should be frozen (thats not treated). Maybe this clears out in time and can have time to work roads? Once it warms up its all done with.

At least thats my opinion.

Intense banding taking place directly over OKC, especially the southern sides.

Interesting how in parts of north Oklahoma, such as Enid and Stillwater, the temp has been 32 or 33 since late this morning, so it's been freezing rain or sleet, no snow. So my rain gauge didn't freeze up and kept on recording, which is now around a half inch. Photo of radar shows what I mean. There has been some ice accumulation on trees, probably the main impact from this storm, in Stillwater. At least one of them fell on a house. Fortunately, power outages are spotty and not widespread. https://oms.stillwater.org/OMSWebMap...tKey=undefined

^ The system is "generating" its own cold air. Virtually all the air, especially during the daytime, was warmer than 32F everywhere surrounding OK except for W/SW and C areas of the state. The areas in the direct pathing of the low are going to be the coldest. And the temperature drop compounds on itself with winter precipitation as the actual droplets cool the air and surface as well.

In fact, as soon as the low moves into E OK, many areas without accumulated snowfall will rise back above 32F. W, SW, and C OK most definitely will not, and will likely fall to near 28 or 29 by morning due to accumulation.

My house near Penn Square:

Well OKC has found itself in the sweetspot for the deformation zone so far. Looks like another hour or two of accumulation possible for the metro.

3.4 inches at the airport so far. I've got about 5" at my apartment in downtown.

Between 4.5-5" in my backyard here in SW Oklahoma City. Gorgeous snowfall.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Between 4.5-5" in my backyard here in SW Oklahoma City. Gorgeous snowfall.
    localized by the square mile. I measured 2.5-3”. I am in SW OKC near County Line and SW 44th.

This goes to show you how localized heavy snowbands can get. There are reports of 3" just a couple miles from 7".

Worst part of the drive today (besides slick minor roads) was all the idiots who didn’t clean the snow off vehicle! There are some stupid people out there. Then they wanna go 70 on turnpike with all this snow and ice chunks flying off. Luckily I was looking for that and stayed well back but if I had been hit and damaged vehicle woulda got tag # for insurance to fight them to pay.

It seemed every other vehicle did not clean it off. This is dangerous and can kill someone if a chunk hits winshield and breaks or causes an accident. Its no different than someone dropping items off an overpass bridge except its the whole drive not just underpass.

Folks, clean off your vehicle (roof especially) if it has snow on it!!

Thread Information