Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tipping Norms

1. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Then why not tip the cashier at Wal Mart or the person that helps you find a suit? Why not tip the plumber and the oil change guy at Jiffy lube or your CPA?

Tipping a waiter is done because traditionally waiters were paid below standard wages and expected to provide quality service for the tip.. lf a waiter is now being paid $10 to 15 per hour, the waiter is making a full wage and does not need to be paid unless he\she really wows you and you feel so inclined.
    The problem is there are a lot of places still paying low wages where a tip would be appropriate.

2. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    What about places where you order at the counter? Many now have an iPad where you are given the option of leaving a tip before you've been served. The catch for me is I don't usually carry cash so it leaves me in a bind. What do others do?
    I hate that type of system. Encountered it again this weekend when we ate at Maples. You stand in line, order/pay/pick up your food all at the counter, get your own drinks and refills - yet, as you pay they spin the screen around and solicit a tip. I can't' tell you how annoying I find that.

Default Re: Tipping Norms

^

I HATE that practice to the point that unless something is exceptional, I won't go back. Same with handing you a receipt to sign with a tip line.

How do you tip when you have yet to be provided any service (other than taking your order after standing in line)?

It's incredibly uncomfortable to determine a tip beforehand and while the server is standing over you. And it really undermines the entire purpose of tipping.

Sure it is awkward and annoying but no more so than declining girl scout cookies at the entrance to stores or not contributing to every Salvation Army bell ringer you run across from the days before Thanksgiving to Christmas. I always tip with cash and always for service at the end of the meal. No exceptions.

^

I don't find either of those things awkward. A polite 'no thank you' is completely proper and you can chose to create a transaction or not.

This tip-at-the-counter prompt is entirely different. You have already decided to enter the establishment and place an order. Then, when all that has happened is they have taken your money, they stand over you while you are directly propmpted for a tip. It's ridiculous and IMO shows a disregard for the customer which you should be seeking to please and have return.

I don't carry cash, especially not small bills. But if anything, if they are bring me the food then have to clean up after me (because they serve on dinnerware and/or don't have a place to drop your own trash and dishes) then I'd like to leave a cash tip on the table.

6. Default Re: Tipping Norms

odd that so many don't tip takeout, drive-thru, counter service, coffee shop or fast food.

but you will tip a bartender?
    just curious what the thinking is?

(full disclosure i was a bartender for 10ish years)

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    odd that so many don't tip takeout, drive-thru, counter service, coffee shop or fast food.

a dollar or two is fair for togo orders. There’s a decent amount of manpower that goes into gathering the items, packaging them, interfacing with the customer, and exchanging consideration.

The others just aren’t providing enough of a service to garner a tip. Throwing some rice and chicken into a bowl takes about 10 seconds.

As for the bartender, you’re going to see that guy all night. And he’s not going to take care of you if he suspects the tip will either be bad or non-existent.

8. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post

I don't get that comparison at all (as someone who worked both as a bartender [ even taught it], waiter and fast-food early on in my adult life).

Zero reason to tip drive-through, typical counter service or fast food IMO. If I'm going to tip for that 'service' then I might as well walk around with a huge roll of singles to tip literally everyone I encounter all day. Not to say I haven't tipped in some of those situations - but it's rare and only because they did something exceptional.

I see the bartender, and even a nicer coffee shop, differently. Those people usually provide a complete experience; they greet you, take your order, concoct your order and interact with you. They often define my opinion of the establishment.

a dollar or two is fair for togo orders. There’s a decent amount of manpower that goes into gathering the items, packaging them, interfacing with the customer, and exchanging consideration.
    The problem with togo order tipping for me, is that often there really wasn't any effort put into packing up the togo. The food is all mixed together, the order is often wrong (twice now recently with togo's from Big Truck) and in some places you get smaller serving sizes. Not to mention, many times the person ringing you up didn't actually pack up the togo.

That said, I tip the togo when we get Ted's because they make the extra effort to show you your order and make sure it's correct. Also, Ted's and a few other places we get orders togo, they actually give you larger servings than if you are in-house. I usually tip togo's at Thai places because there tend to pack things individually. I also tip for togo at places like Brielle's because they tend to give you very nice togo containers and plenty of condiments and nicer disposable silverware.

All that to say 75% of the time I don't tip in the above situations except when there is exceptional effort.

If I'm going to tip for that 'service' then I might as well walk around with a huge roll of singles to tip literally everyone I encounter all day.
    My grandfather actually did that when I was a kid. Anyone even held a door for him he tipped them a buck. But its definitely not the norm anymore and would definitely get you strange looks ((and could offend people).

Blog Entries

Yesterday I walked into. A very busy local restaurant at lunch time and bought a gift card. I was attended to immediately and with great smiles. Given how busy they were, I expected to wait some time while others were seated and served...but I didn’t have to at all. So I left a nice tip for the lady who saw after me. I think great service should be rewarded with generous appreciation, thanks, and tips.

Blog Entries

Yesterday I walked into a very busy local restaurant at lunch time to buy a gift card. I was attended to immediately and with great smiles. Given how busy they were, I expected to wait some time while others were seated and served...but I didn’t have to at all. So I left a nice tip for the lady who saw after me. I think great service should be rewarded with generous appreciation, thanks, and tips.

I tip fot table service and or bar service only. I never tip the owner of a place.

13. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Are any restaurants in OKC known to be paying a "full" wage to wait staff (ie. $15/hr)?

I will restate my strong distaste for the digital counter service check out where they spin the tablet around for you to sign and there are recommended tip amount buttons. Or if it is counter service, to have a tip line on the receipt.

First of all, the person is standing right there waiting which is extremely awkward.

Secondly, no service has been delivered at that time. How can you tip when you have yet to be served?

This has gone out of control and I don't boycott places that do this, but I do tend to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I will restate my strong distaste for the digital counter service check out where they spin the tablet around for you to sign and there are recommended tip amount buttons. Or if it is counter service, to have a tip line on the receipt.

First of all, the person is standing right there waiting which is extremely awkward.

Secondly, no service has been delivered at that time. How can you tip when you have yet to be served?

This has gone out of control and I don't boycott places that do this, but I do tend to avoid them.
    I'm amazed you can avoid them. At this point, it describes most of the food trucks, the restaurants at the food halls, and even the pickup/takeout counter at Pizza Hut. I think the last one bothers me the most, because it's on a slip where I have to sign and hand it back, and I have to make a point to cross out the "tip" line, so it's especially obvious when I must do so.

16. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

The one upside is that these are so prolific that it doesn't feel as awkward for me to simply ignore them, check "no tip" or cross out the tip line.

That said, I'm always concerned that if I indicate 'no tip' prior to service that they are going to do something to my food. This is one reason I do avoid certain establishments with these practices.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Are any restaurants in OKC known to be paying a "full" wage to wait staff (ie. $15/hr)?
    Considering that OKC has not risen above the federal level of $7.25/hr and that most servers have a base rate of $2.13/hr , $15 may be a bit pie in the sky. There are restaurants in other states that have tried to do away with tipping, in exchange for paying a living wage and menu prices reflect that.
    I used to think VAT like in Europe was the way to go. Unfortunately we infected Europe with our tipping behaviors so now it's the worst of both worlds. I would be willing to pay more for each item and get rid of tipping, but that only seems to work if the whole system changes, not just one restaurant or store.

For examples of the tipping dilemma, see Danny Meyer in NYC, or Tom Douglas in Seattle

Removing tipping may work in certain circumstances/restaurants or even whole markets, but en masse, it will not work in the US until we are ready for meal times to increase by minimum 50%. You simply will not be able to staff the front of house well enough.

Regarding tipping bartenders: there is something to be said for knowledge having a price, even if what you are purchasing doesn't necessarily require the full use of that knowledge. That's obviously lessened at an establishment that has no real drink program to speak of (think red rooster before the remodel)...but if it's any type of establishment where a good cocktail can be made, then consider that not everyone can make a good cocktail or a cocktail you've never heard of, or recommend new beers or wines based on other information. That's why a bartender is worthy of a 20% tip versus a counter service person. The average counter service person probably learns their job/duties in 2 to 3 days. A good bartender knows that they can never know 10% of all there is to know about their craft, and at the end of the day, that knowledge benefits the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm amazed you can avoid them. At this point, it describes most of the food trucks, the restaurants at the food halls, and even the pickup/takeout counter at Pizza Hut. I think the last one bothers me the most, because it's on a slip where I have to sign and hand it back, and I have to make a point to cross out the "tip" line, so it's especially obvious when I must do so.
    I have found cash to be the equalizer here. Nothing to sign when ya have folding money. Having 30-40 on you negates the machine, especially at the walk up and order places. Some say it's a hassle, but no more than remembering to carry around a cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I have found cash to be the equalizer here. Nothing to sign when ya have folding money. Having 30-40 on you negates the machine, especially at the walk up and order places. Some say it's a hassle, but no more than remembering to carry around a cell.
    This is a very good idea.

Sunnyside Diner has this awkward exchange where the server brings you a tablet, swipes your card in front of you, and then hands you the tablet to fill in the tip while they are standing right in front of you. I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Considering that OKC has not risen above the federal level of $7.25/hr and that most servers have a base rate of $2.13/hr , $15 may be a bit pie in the sky. ...
    Just to clarify, since soooooooooo many people are unaware of this - if a server that makes $2.13/hr doesn't make enough tips to get up to $7.25/hr, then their employer has to make up the difference to get to $7.25/hr, so a server doesn't ever really make under $7.25/hr, even if they make no tips at all during their shift (or at least that's the way it's supposed to legally work, I can't speak to wage theft, tip theft/splitting, etc.).

24. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Sunnyside Diner has this awkward exchange where the server brings you a tablet, swipes your card in front of you, and then hands you the tablet to fill in the tip while they are standing right in front of you. I hate it.
    The last two times we've eaten there, they just left it on the table. I think Metro Diner did that too. I don't mind so much when it's at the end of the meal. At least not nearly as annoying as at the counter and before service or food has even been given.

I think though they need to provide space for a star rating (1-5) or comments. If I choose to not tip or tip low, I want the option of letting them know it's because service/food/atmosphere was bad and it's not because I'm an a-hole.

25. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I'm trying to think of specific examples.... But, i know I've been in places that even when I paid cash they specifically asked if I wanted to tip now. I just give an eye roll.

I also hate when the tip jar is sitting right beside the register - especially at places like convenience stores or fast food type place.

Thread Information