Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping Norms

1. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Gotta ask... Haircut, 50%? Is this the norm. Growing up, it was a dollar with a $5 barber cut. Obviously, I know that's changed, but I'm used to tipping $2-3 dollars when I take my kids to get cut. I sure hope my wife isn't tipping 50% with her stylist. Might explain where the money goes...

Oh, on the buffet. Back when my kids were younger, we'd always leave a tip on the table when we ate out as a family. We don't do buffets anymore, but if we did at this point, I wouldn't feel as inclined to tip (as we wouldn't create a mess).
    My haircuts are only $10. I give her $15.

My thought is, if I have a bad experience at a restaurant, probably nobody is ever gonna know. If my stylist screws up my hair, everyone will know for weeks. Plus she does my brows, ears, etc. and I've been going to her for years.

Default Re: Tipping Norms

I tip $5 to my barber instead of a % based amount. He raised prices a few months back but left me at the original price, so the tip gets me to his new price.

3. Default Re: Tipping Norms

After reading this I’m on the upper end. Now I know why so many servers know my name and want us to sit with them. I thought it was my charming personality.

My wife is a hair stylist and says it is common for men to leave a $10 tip on a $30 cut. However, her shop is in Nichols Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    My wife is a hair stylist and says it is common for men to leave a $10 tip on a $30 cut. However, her shop is in Nichols Hills.
    I leave $5 for a $15 cut, my guy's around NW 36th/May.

30% seems a lot more reasonable, although if I had the need for haircuts, and found a place doing them for $10, I might be inclined to be more generous.

7. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    30% seems a lot more reasonable, although if I had the need for haircuts, and found a place doing them for $10, I might be inclined to be more generous.
    Great Clips. Every November they sell a loadable gift card for $9.99 haircuts. I buy 10 or so each year and then supplement with $6.99 and $7.99 specials when they have them randomly.

38 M Here.

20% or more for table service and bar service. 10% for buffet. I almost always tip, even for bad service, but recently left 0 for bar service at a place where the bartender was intentionally ignoring us.

I HATE the tipping portion of payment services at coffee shops and the like.

9. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Many states and individual businesses around the country are upping their minimum wages. using the example of a local chain of casual Denver restaurants that now pay $15/hr, would you stll tip? Tip less or the same? l haven't eaten there lately but at $15/hr which is as much as people in many, many other jobs, l am inclined to NOT pay a tip. I realize OK doesnt have this issue yet but national chains are gling down the road of $10 -12/hr. Thoughts on this as we go through this minimum wage debate,

10. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Many states and individual businesses around the country are upping their minimum wages. using the example of a local chain of casual Denver restaurants that now pay $15/hr, would you stll tip? Tip less or the same? l haven't eaten there lately but at $15/hr which is as much as people in many, many other jobs, l am inclined to NOT pay a tip. I realize OK doesnt have this issue yet but national chains are gling down the road of $10 -12/hr. Thoughts on this as we go through this minimum wage debate,
    I would assume that if I patronize a restaurant that upped it's wages from $2.13 to $15/hr then I'm going to see a noticeable bump in menu prices.

I certainly would not tip 20% if the base wage for my waiter is $15/hr (especially if the prices go up).

15% for good service is a bad tip. i don't think I've ever tipped below 20% but i don't go out looking for "bad service" and a reason not to tip. If you leave zero for tip at a restaurant for any reason you are a bad person. i say this as someone who has never held a service position in my life. If I make a mistake at work or have a bad day my company still pays me my full salary.

If I'm eating out, I'm a customer, not the employer.

13. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    15% for good service is a bad tip. i don't think I've ever tipped below 20% but i don't go out looking for "bad service" and a reason not to tip. If you leave zero for tip at a restaurant for any reason you are a bad person. i say this as someone who has never held a service position in my life. If I make a mistake at work or have a bad day my company still pays me my full salary.
    Well, I 100% disagree - as someone who HAS worked several restaurant/bar jobs in the past - even in management.

I knew that my income was based on the level of service I provided. Those who consistently give excellent service and choose their place of employment wisely are handsomely rewarded.

If you tip 15-20% for poor service, then where is the incentive to actually give good service?

To say not leaving a tip makes someone a 'a bad person' is total and complete B.S.

For a short while after my mother threw my dad out for cheating, she worked as a waitress. She always said, always leave something because nothing means you might have just forgotten but a very small tip indicated that you were not happy with the service. So, if I receive bad service it's 5% or less. I haven't done that often because I usually receive good service.
    C. T.

Ditto. I can count on hand hand I've had to withhold part of most of a tip. But to act like wait staff get a pass on delivering unacceptable service is absurd. No one is obligated to pay for any unacceptable goods or services. If I fail to live up to my end in a custom software project, then I wont get paid. This is not usual. Tipping is payment for a service.

16. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    For a short while after my mother threw my dad out for cheating, she worked as a waitress. She always said, always leave something because nothing means you might have just forgotten but a very small tip indicated that you were not happy with the service. So, if I receive bad service it's 5% or less. I haven't done that often because I usually receive good service.
    C. T.
    Yeah. I've done that too. However, twice over the years I've found it actually provokes a negative response from the waitperson. As in, they took great offense to it (like I'd given them the finger instead of simply reflecting their poor service in my tip) and wanted to get confrontational. I often now don't leave a tip but do either let the waitperson know I was dissatisfied. If it's a serious problem then I contact the manager. Usually though it's just inattentive, unexperienced staff that have a negative attitude.

Blog Entries

Try more than anything to evaluate the situation and conditions the workers are positioned along with the various seasons (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentine's Day, St.Patrick's Day...).

The worker assigned to my area regardless of the restaurant, food establishment is who & what you want to evaluate and reward. Accuracy of the order, attractiveness of the food and establishment and the service. If you've ever worked in food service, believe me it's one of the most thankless jobs anyone can occupy.

You have customers who you will never please. If the customer is having a bad day; maybe s(he) wants to past some of that drama off on you--you become the punching bag that person(s) decides to vent their anger.

I try to tip 15% - 20% of my total bill; usually bring along some extra cash because some restaurants don't accept tips when you pay with a credit card with a designated tip amount. Had several tips that didn't show up on my debit/credit card. Also, the workers at the buffets work just as hard even though the restaurant is self serve a la carte.

While at the Golden Corral MacArthur-Reno, I carelessly dropped a $100 bill. The Latino male worker who saw me drop it quickly picked it up caught up with me outside and immediately called it to my attention as I walked onto the parking lot. I quickly attempted to give him $20 from my wallet--he refused saying he couldn't accept a tip under those conditions. So, I stuffed it in his apron and said, 'put it in church or make a donation to your favorite charity.'

I attempt to consider the condition and the situation.

I often now don't leave a tip but do either let the waitperson know I was dissatisfied. If it's a serious problem then I contact the manager. Usually though it's just inattentive, unexperienced staff that have a negative attitude.
    How often does this happen to you? I eat out 4-8 times a week and can honestly say i cant recall ever having a bad enough experience to not leave a full tip. If this is a common occurrence it may not be the wait staff who is to blame.

With the hourly wage of tipped employees, The person being served is acting as more employer than customer.

19. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    How often does this happen to you? I eat out 4-8 times a week and can honestly say i cant recall ever having a bad enough experience to not leave a full tip. If this is a common occurrence it may not be the wait staff who is to blame.

With the hourly wage of tipped employees, The person being served is acting as more employer than customer.
    Sorry, but the customer is the customer and not an employer. The waitstaff may rely on tips to make ends meet, but that in no way makes me their employer instead of a customer - I didn't hire them, can't fire them, don't make their schedule, didn't request them as my server, don't tell them how to dress, can't make them do anything and I certainly am not responsible for their actions..... yet, to the some, I'm this person's "employer."

Also, your insinuation that somehow I must be to blame if I get bad service is just as laughable as your insinuation I employ the waitstaff when I go out and eat.

The topic wasn't "how often do you get bad service when you go out" - the topic was simply tipping.

Now, I need advice. I go to a couple of places for a couple of beers and fairly often I receive a "comp" beer. What should I tip? I have been figuring my tip on all served beers and add an amount (50%) on the comp beer. I usually tip about 30% on the pre-tax charge. Just need opinions.
    C. T.

21. Default Re: Tipping Norms

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Now, I need advice. I go to a couple of places for a couple of beers and fairly often I receive a "comp" beer. What should I tip? I have been figuring my tip on all served beers and add an amount (50%) on the comp beer. I usually tip about 30% on the pre-tax charge. Just need opinions.
    C. T.
    I get meals and/or beverages comp'd on occasion. If I know the regular price, then I tip based on the regular price. Same goes for discounted meals (ex: Groupon, Sweet Deals, etc.). If the service and food were good to exceptional, then I tip based on the normal rate (not the discounted rate).

What about places where you order at the counter? Many now have an iPad where you are given the option of leaving a tip before you've been served. The catch for me is I don't usually carry cash so it leaves me in a bind. What do others do?

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    What about places where you order at the counter? Many now have an iPad where you are given the option of leaving a tip before you've been served. The catch for me is I don't usually carry cash so it leaves me in a bind. What do others do?
    At Classen Coffee, they do that, we usually get 2 large lattes, and add $1 or so to it, but we go there often and kind of know them. If it's a place that brings it out to you after you order at the counter, I usually do 10%, maybe. If all they do is call your name/number, maybe $1, but usually not because there's no real customer service beyond their basic job.

24. Default Re: Tipping Norms

l think the whole issue of pay vs. tips is getting to the point where each restaurant is going to have to post something about their pay scale. Chipotle pays something around $10ghr. for starters. A similar Denver chain called Illegal Pete's now pays around $15/hr to start. l'm certainly not going to tip at Pete's at their pay scale though the food is pretty much equal at both

Why? Personally tipping isn't about making someone's hourly wage. That's the job for their employer.

That being said, I don't tip for counter service ?? subways, starbucks, Chipotle). I don't think it calls for tipping. But if I did have a habit of tipping there I wouldn't base it on thier pay.

Thread Information