Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Boulevard Place

Default Re: Boulevard Place

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    700 West and Alley's End are in the same stalled state.

Beyond the cost, access to necessary building materials is very limited everywhere.
    What is Alley's End? I know what 700 West is, but I'm brain farting on Alleys End.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    What is Alley's End? I know what 700 West is, but I'm brain farting on Alleys End.
    https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...41#post1109141

Oh, okay. I didn't know it had been branded Alley's End. That's the one I'm looking forward to come together. Whenever that is.

They just submitted their final schematics for OCURA approval tomorrow (not sure why this wasn't done before) so hopefully we'll start to see things move forward.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They just submitted their final schematics for OCURA approval tomorrow (not sure why this wasn't done before) so hopefully we'll start to see things move forward.
    Any noticeable changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Any noticeable changes?
    Not that I could see.

They submitted their full building permit application and received design review approval some time ago. Both of those require re-submission if there are changes and that hasn't happened.

Blog Entries

With Tim Strange heading it up, I believe this will be a quality project.

I read a WSJ article this morning about the price of lumber dropping, can't help but wonder if motion on this is related.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I read a WSJ article this morning about the price of lumber dropping, can't help but wonder if motion on this is related.
    I looked up lumber prices earlier today, and yeah, lumber prices have dropped quite a bit in the past couple to few weeks. How long it takes to reach actual lumber used in construction is another question.

I had a brief conversation with Tim Strange about this project last winter. What I most remember is that he said there are city, state and federal government agencies involved with the project and some areas of the project take 3 or more levels of approval. Leading to delays before COVID was factored in.

Blog Entries

Construction set to start on hundreds of affordable apartments despite supply shortages
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...ts/5295030001/

Alley's End, Boulevard Place, and 700 West mentioned.

Blog Entries

If I understood what went down today, $5M+ TIF for this passed today

I am disgusted with how this project turned out. Unless I missed something, the $1k-plus 300 square foot studios are not "affordable" housing in OKC. While they may technically qualify for "affordable" housing when you compare OKC to places like Austin, NY and San Fran, they are not affordable for the majority of staff who will work at the Omni, the group for which we are allegedly paying to subsidize.

To repeat, we are subsidizing this development for so-called "affordable housing." It seems like what we got is a bait and switch.

I remember this process as a competitive process between developers. When awarding the bid to Boulevard Place, Cathy O'Connor referenced the number of "affordable rate" apartments as a key factor in awarding this company the bid.

Were I one of the competitive development groups I would be extremely upset with the outcome of this process and be considering possible legal action.

Outcomes like this provide fuel to those who are against TIF projects in OKC. I am not one of those people, as I believe TIFs are an important tool

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I am disgusted with how this project turned out. Unless I missed something, the $1k-plus 300 square foot studios are not "affordable" housing in OKC. While they may technically qualify for "affordable" housing when you compare OKC to places like Austin, NY and San Fran, they are not affordable for the majority of staff who will work at the Omni, the group for which we are allegedly paying for.

To repeat, we are subsidizing this development for so-called "affordable housing." It seems like what we got is a bait and switch.

I remember this process as a competitive process between developers. When awarding the bid to Boulevard Place, Cathy O'Connor referenced the number of "affordable rate" apartments as a key factor in awarding this company the bid.

Were I one of the competitive development groups I would be extremely upset with the outcome of this process and be considering possible legal action.

Outcomes like this provide fuel to those who are against TIF projects in OKC. I am not one of those people, as I believe TIFs are an important tool
    But there are units in the development being built that will be below market rate...not sure what you are talking about here. Sure, there are plenty of the $1k units, but also a lot that will be well below that (as $1k is likely above market rate). This development will also likely spell more retail and restaurants in the area, so in all, the TIF will be worth it. But again, 10% of the units are "below market-rate". Not sure who sets that rate, though the market rate would have to be approved by the city council.

Not according to an article I read about this two weeks ago in the Free Press. The $1k units were the cheapest, and they were for studios. The Oklahoman has done zero reporting on this matter.

16. Default Re: Boulevard Place

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Not according to an article I read about this two weeks ago in the Free Press. The $1k units were the cheapest, and they were for studios. The Oklahoman has done zero reporting on this matter.
    Here's an article from June of this year in The Oklahoman:https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...ts/5295030001/

"Boulevard Place includes 36 units that will be rented as workforce housing for those in the 80% to 120% of average median income."

Blog Entries

Per what I saw in the city council meeting, the actual affordable units are no longer a thing

$650 was mention as the previous number but I guess it's much higher now

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    If I understood what went down today, $5M+ TIF for this passed today
    they actually got 7.2 mil plus ..

The latest update from OCURA shows:

Commenced Expected April 2022
    Completed Expected December 2023

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Here's an article from June of this year in The Oklahoman:https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...ts/5295030001/

"Boulevard Place includes 36 units that will be rented as workforce housing for those in the 80% to 120% of average median income."
    That does not state the rent. It reads like a press release.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Per what I saw in the city council meeting, the actual affordable units are no longer a thing

$650 was mention as the previous number but I guess it's much higher now
    Yes it went up 80%. Infuriating. Cathy O’Connor is shameless.

Blog Entries

Not stanning her but why is it her fault vs the developer? Honest question, haven't been following.

23. Default Re: Boulevard Place

AHh the old debate of what is affordable.

Just doing a quick search on apartment.com with a circle around the core. The only ones I found under $1,000 were:

$700-750 at Regency (Studio, 1 bath, 434 sqft)
    $850-875 at Regency (1 bed, 1 bath, 570 sqft)
    $925 at The Haven (1 bed, 1 bath, 711 sqft, none available)
    $950 at Park Harvey (1 bed, 1 bath, 582 sqft)

Quick glance most 1 bed, 1 bath units run between $1200-1600 in the core. So in my opinion, being in a brand new building, literally in the middle of it all, and the affordable units are $1,000/month? I think that's a pretty good deal.

Of course you do. You are a realtor. 1000 plus for a studio, not a one bedroom, in a building we are subsidizing for 7.2 million? It is why Hamon and Cooper and Nice voted against this project in the end. Cooper had been a huge proponent of it. All of the Council expressed shock at the increase in what the project originally indicated the few affordable units would cost.

The developer blamed it on construction costs rising, although lumber is already coming down.

25. Default Re: Boulevard Place

I don't think be being a realtor has anything to do with it. just looking at numbers.

If you feel like this over this project, how do you feel about Wheeler where they got $120 million+ in subsidies where 95%+ of the general public can't afford? Those were supposed to have affordable units too. I think that is the bigger tragedy.

Thread Information