Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vasa Fitness

Default Re: Vasa Fitness

23rd & Penn:

Hear anything about an expected opening date for this location?

Found it interesting on this post on Facebook everyone commenting how its a horrible location for a gym. not sure why they would think so considering the amount of people who live in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Found it interesting on this post on Facebook everyone commenting how its a horrible location for a gym. not sure why they would think so considering the amount of people who live in this area.
    I should do a regular running post about Facebook comments.

No matter what I post, no matter how cool or great -- and always representing a big investment and improvement to what was there before -- you get the immediate Old White People Gripes:

1. Area is crappy (no matter that is largely untrue and there is some big improvement happening)
    2. Area is unsafe (great place for all the homeless/methheads/gangs)
    3. Traffic will be terrible
    4. We don't need it
    5. Terrible use of government funds
    6. I would never go there
    7. This is ugly
    8. Whatever they will sell, it will be too expensive

If anyone starts to feel OKCTalk is negative, just spend a little time on Facebook, Nextdoor, the comment section of the Oklahoman and just about anywehere else on the internet.

you are 100% correct. I usually don't read the OKCtalk facebook post comments for that reason. today I made that mistake and shook my head. i ready " terrible place for a Gym" and the poster is from newcastle? lol you do a bang up job though Pete!

^

Very, very rarely do I even engage people on social media. Once in a blue moon, I'll answer a question or add more info, especially when people are being ridiculous and making a bunch of false statements; but even then I just usually ignore.

It's not just the anonymity of it all, there is some very bizarre psychology that is revealed in social media. And I suspect there are just a lot of angry, bitter people and the electronic medium is more or less an unmasking. In other words, this is a better indication of the inner thoughts and feelings than in traditional social interaction where norms almost require a certain amount of what often is insincere politeness.

7. Default Re: Vasa Fitness

For the south side location, i still dont understand why that was a location chosen for the reasons i already gave. Maybe they think they'll get a lot of Integris staff??

But for this one, i think 23rd/Penn is a good spot. While the OCU students can a free workout on campus, it's a pretty small facility in the large gym and even smaller in the dorm side. So there are a lot of things in this facility that will be very nice for those. And you'll also get the benefit of the corporate folks down at Shepard/etc. I really wish i had one like this near me or at least on my way home again.

8. Default Re: Vasa Fitness

the southsize location was built as part of redevelopment of the Sears (or was it Target)? the 23rd location was the Buy 4 Less. I think it is in an excellent location, OCU and 39th Street are next door and lots of people in the inner city northside area. I wish Vasa would continue to invest/redevelop in OKC, one on the Eastside would be AWESOME!!! along with others ringing the inner city and one downtown. This would make a HUGE dent in OKC's unhealthy rankings as they use # of gyms/fitness centers as a gauge and just having the Y and Gold's Gym just isn't going to cut it.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

10. Default Re: Vasa Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    For the south side location, i still dont understand why that was a location chosen for the reasons i already gave. Maybe they think they'll get a lot of Integris staff??

But for this one, i think 23rd/Penn is a good spot. While the OCU students can a free workout on campus, it's a pretty small facility in the large gym and even smaller in the dorm side. So there are a lot of things in this facility that will be very nice for those. And you'll also get the benefit of the corporate folks down at Shepard/etc. I really wish i had one like this near me or at least on my way home again.
    I've pasted the Southside location twice this week at night and the parking lot was pretty full.

A friend of mine signed up at the Penn location and told me the expected opening date is Dec 20th. Not sure how accurate that is.

I live in the neighboring addition, Las Vegas, and am excited to switch from the Golds across the street to Vasa. I'm sure many others will be doing the same. Anyone suggesting that this location is bad is simply ignorant to the changing demographics of the surrounding neighborhoods.

^100% agree

They had all the lights on inside last night and looked to be testing equipment, TVs, etc., so they seem to be pretty far along at least in that main space. We stopped in their preview center last week and the person there also said late December, so the 20th sounds pretty reasonable.

To those that use BCBS's fitness program, the southside Vasa is included as an available gym, presumably this one will be as well. Looking forward to it opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    They had all the lights on inside last night and looked to be testing equipment, TVs, etc., so they seem to be pretty far along at least in that main space. We stopped in their preview center last week and the person there also said late December, so the 20th sounds pretty reasonable.

To those that use BCBS's fitness program, the southside Vasa is included as an available gym, presumably this one will be as well. Looking forward to it opening.
    I am really hoping it is included in the BCBS fitness program! that would be amazing for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I am really hoping it is included in the BCBS fitness program! that would be amazing for me!
    Same! I can't see why it wouldn't be if the other Vasa is included but I am curious which membership level would be included. If it's the full package that includes the studio spin, etc. then it will truly be a heck of a deal!

Just a PSA: Semi-hidden in their pricing is a $49.95 "Rate Guarantee Fee" you have to pay every year or your rate could go up by 30%.

So, for someone opting for the $9.99 plan, which would be to $119.88 a year, that fee raises it to $169.83 a year (and that fee is charged in full 2 months after sign up, so your charge that month will be 6 times your plan that month). Probably still less than a lot of gyms, but that does make it 41% higher than what you might think you're signing up for at first. Looks like fee is the same for each tier, so, percentage wise, it's lower for the more expensive ones.

I was also told that the Pennsylvania location does not have Racquetball, even though it is listed on the membership amenities online when you have that location selected. It does have basketball, but I didn't ask about anything else that is listed, so if there is something else listed that you're specifically interested in for that location, you may want to double check they actually have it there before pulling the trigger.

USAA has a similar program to the BCBS and the Western location is included. I was planning to go that route to avoid the 49.95 fee. I only found out about the fee after getting to the check out online and decided to step back.

Do we know what level of membership is included in the BCBS/USAA plans?

I assumed it was the middle tier that is ~$23. I have not confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Just a PSA: Semi-hidden in their pricing is a $49.95 "Rate Guarantee Fee" you have to pay every year or your rate could go up by 30%.

So, for someone opting for the $9.99 plan, which would be to $119.88 a year, that fee raises it to $169.83 a year (and that fee is charged in full 2 months after sign up, so your charge that month will be 6 times your plan that month). Probably still less than a lot of gyms, but that does make it 41% higher than what you might think you're signing up for at first. Looks like fee is the same for each tier, so, percentage wise, it's lower for the more expensive ones.

I was also told that the Pennsylvania location does not have Racquetball, even though it is listed on the membership amenities online when you have that location selected. It does have basketball, but I didn't ask about anything else that is listed, so if there is something else listed that you're specifically interested in for that location, you may want to double check they actually have it there before pulling the trigger.
    This type of yearly fee is not uncommon in low-monthly-rate gyms - I know at absolute minimum, in addition to Vasa, both Planet Fitness and 10GYM charge similar annual fees ($39 and $49.99, respectively). It's just the business model that most of these kind of places follow.

Just to confirm - Vasa's website says the new location is now open.

Also, re: the BCBS fitness program (and presumably other insurance fitness programs as well), I spoke with someone on the phone who said that it is the "fitness/$21.99/month" level that's included in the program but that you can upgrade to the "Studio" level and just pay the difference in price. The person I spoke with sounded confident that that was the case, so hopefully it is as that's what I'll probably end up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    This type of yearly fee is not uncommon in low-monthly-rate gyms - I know at absolute minimum, in addition to Vasa, both Planet Fitness and 10GYM charge similar annual fees ($39 and $49.99, respectively). It's just the business model that most of these kind of places follow.
    Thank for the info. I hand't looked into the others. I figured there had to be some precedent for it, but didn't have that information myself.

It's funny, I guess they could raise the "rate guarantee fee", while keeping the monthly rate the same. lol.

The parking lot looked pretty full this morning.

I've been a couple of times. It's pretty nice. A lot of equipment and HUGE. Haven't done any of the classes yet and they're still working on the pool, but it's pretty nice.

Thread Information