Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 104
  1. #1

    Default Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    The State of New York's tax department is investigating Trump for $413 million in tax fraud. No presidential pardon available for state crimes. The state is also looking into criminal activity with the Trump foundation.

    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/02/new-...t-article.html


    And here's the Stormy Daniels bit. Trump is on the hook for Campaign finance violations, conspiracy, bank and tax fraud. This is directly from the SDNY's office, not Mueller.
    https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...cing-memo.html
    4. Cohen’s Illegal Campaign Contributions
    On approximately June 16, 2015, Individual-1, for whom Cohen worked at the time, began an ultimately successful campaign for President of the United States.

    Campaign Fraud, Conspiracy with and at the direction of Trump:
    With respect to
    both payments, Cohen acted with the intent to influence the 2016 presidential election. Cohen coordinated his actions with one or more members of the campaign, including through meetings and phone calls, about the fact, nature, and timing of the payments. In particular, and as Cohen himself has now admitted, with respect to both payments, he acted in coordination with and at the direction of Individual-1.
    Bank Fraud is noted here:
    Cohen agreed to make the payment and then called Attorney-1 to finalize the deal.
    On October 26, 2016, Cohen emailed an incorporating service to obtain the corporate
    formation documents for another shell corporation, Essential Consultants, LLC, which he had
    incorporated a few days prior. That afternoon, he directed that $131,000 from his HELOC – the
    same HELOC he had obtained by means of false statements,
    see p. 8-10, supra – be deposited into
    an account he had just opened in the name of Essential Consultants LLC. The next day, Cohen
    wired $130,000 from that account to Attorney-1. On the wire form, Cohen falsely indicated that
    the purpose of the wire was to pay a “retainer.” On November 1, 2016, Cohen received copies of
    the final, signed confidential settlement agreement and side letter agreement from Attorney-1.

    Tax Fraud is noted here:
    expenses, including
    the $130,000 payment he had made to Woman-2. Cohen presented an executive of the Company
    with a copy of a bank statement reflecting the $130,000 wire transfer. Cohen also requested
    reimbursement of an additional $50,000, which represented a claimed payment for campaignrelated “tech services.” Executives of the Company agreed to reimburse Cohen by adding
    $130,000 and $50,000, “grossing up” that amount to $360,000 for tax purposes, and adding a
    $60,000 bonus, such that Cohen would be paid $420,000 in total. Executives of the Company
    decided to pay the $420,000 in monthly installments of $35,000 over the course of a year. (PSR
    52-53).
    At the instruction of an executive for the Company, Cohen sent monthly invoices to the
    Company for these $35,000 payments, falsely indicating that the invoices were being sent pursuant
    to a “retainer agreement.” The Company then falsely accounted for these payments as “legal
    expenses.” In fact, no such retainer agreement existed and these payments were not “legal
    expenses” –
    Cohen in fact provided negligible legal services to Individual-1 or the Company in
    2017 – but were reimbursement payments. Cohen then received the $420,000 during the course

    There's also the campaign finance violation with the National Enquirer, but these are more serious than that one.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    I won't address the tax investigation by State of New York at the moment, other than to say it's odd that the IRS wouldn't be interested as well.

    First of all, this in my mind is still not a campaign finance violation. It would be like saying I am going to get liposuction because I think it would effect the election because I would look better. That's not a campaign expense, by anyone's view.

    Second, if the SDNY somehow concludes that this should have been a campaign expenditure, it is a reporting issue, and one that relates to the actual candidates funds, which are not limited in amount in any way. Are we really going to go after the president for this? Something that almost every campaign has issues with, and in this case, certainly is not perfectly clear that he was required to disclose anything.

    Third, a paper retainer agreement does not mean there was no retainer agreement. Verbal contracts have a long history in this country and are still widely respected in tort cases.

    Finally, I will admit the only "case" that may be made here is the tax evasion, however I am again surprised that the IRS is not looking into this, and only the New York attorneys are. Generally speaking, is someone over reports expenses, the IRS audits, and the auditee is assessed late taxes due, penalties, fees, etc.

    All of this stuff only makes sense in the age of Trump, where up is down and down is up.

    At this point, I would completely believe that Trump never actually got with either of those two women (because seriously who would want to), and he was doing this to pump up his ego. I don't really think this is the case, but I would not be surprised in the least if it was.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Show me the man and I'll show you the crime. Is that how it goes?

    Incoming New York attorney general plans wide-ranging investigations of Trump and family @ NBC

    This is such a perversion of how the justice system is supposed to work. NBC is not appalled in the least by this behavior.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I won't address the tax investigation by State of New York at the moment, other than to say it's odd that the IRS wouldn't be interested as well.

    First of all, this in my mind is still not a campaign finance violation. It would be like saying I am going to get liposuction because I think it would effect the election because I would look better. That's not a campaign expense, by anyone's view.

    Second, if the SDNY somehow concludes that this should have been a campaign expenditure, it is a reporting issue, and one that relates to the actual candidates funds, which are not limited in amount in any way. Are we really going to go after the president for this? Something that almost every campaign has issues with, and in this case, certainly is not perfectly clear that he was required to disclose anything.

    Third, a paper retainer agreement does not mean there was no retainer agreement. Verbal contracts have a long history in this country and are still widely respected in tort cases.

    Finally, I will admit the only "case" that may be made here is the tax evasion, however I am again surprised that the IRS is not looking into this, and only the New York attorneys are. Generally speaking, is someone over reports expenses, the IRS audits, and the auditee is assessed late taxes due, penalties, fees, etc.

    All of this stuff only makes sense in the age of Trump, where up is down and down is up.

    At this point, I would completely believe that Trump never actually got with either of those two women (because seriously who would want to), and he was doing this to pump up his ego. I don't really think this is the case, but I would not be surprised in the least if it was.
    since the IRS budget was cut by $239 Million, (by this congress and administration) the IRS said that they would hold off on investigations that are concurrently being done by other state and federal investigators and use their findings as their own, after the fact. this change was done to help reduce spending.

    remember the IRS budget since 2012 have been cut by a total of $533 Million, and it's staff has dropped 14 percent. so changes were required to make sure they were able to continue doing all the functions they are responsible for.

    and this was an organization that in 2010 reported that for every $1 spent in enforcement, they collected almost $4

  5. #5

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    since the IRS budget was cut by $239 Million, (by this congress and administration) the IRS said that they would hold off on investigations that are concurrently being done by other state and federal investigators and use their findings as their own, after the fact. this change was done to help reduce spending.


    remember the IRS budget since 2012 have been cut by a total of $533 Million, and it's staff has dropped 14 percent. so changes were required to make sure they were able to continue doing all the functions they are responsible for.

    and this was an organization that in 2010 reported that for every $1 spent in enforcement, they collected almost $4
    Trump existed prior to this administration. Just saying.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    This is such a perversion of how the justice system is supposed to work.
    What part troubles you? Or, more specifically, what part is the "perversion"?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Trump existed prior to this administration. Just saying.
    The IRS only investigates when they think there is a potential problem... hence how they got to that $1 of enforcement equates to $4 in collection... so they don't just go looking and see... and the issues that are being investigated are only now being brought to light, and therefore would now be when they would start an investigation.

    kind of like how they got wesley snipes, it wasn't still he was openly bragging about all of his money and things he bought that the IRS did a check to see that he taxes didn't reflect his life style.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Correct me if I'm mistaken but hasn't Individual 1 stated on numerous times from 2015 to the present time that he is the subject of an IRS audit?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Correct me if I'm mistaken but hasn't Individual 1 stated on numerous times from 2015 to the present time that he is the subject of an IRS audit?
    The $400 million was from his father that died in 1999 and the fake invoices from Cohen wouldn't be caught in an audit, they faked the paper trail.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    What part troubles you? Or, more specifically, what part is the "perversion"?
    Just saying we are going to investigate a person, not a crime. She has it backwards. WAY backwards. You investigate a crime, and then after the fact connect the people.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    The IRS only investigates when they think there is a potential problem... hence how they got to that $1 of enforcement equates to $4 in collection... so they don't just go looking and see... and the issues that are being investigated are only now being brought to light, and therefore would now be when they would start an investigation.

    kind of like how they got wesley snipes, it wasn't still he was openly bragging about all of his money and things he bought that the IRS did a check to see that he taxes didn't reflect his life style.
    You kind of agree with me. IRS only looks into things when they think there is a case. Trump has not been some secret in Manhatten for decades. The rumor about his father aiding his rise isn't either.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    36 months from Cohen. Interesting part was him claiming he had nothing to do with Russian conspiracy, in addition he had never been to Prague or Czech Republic. to date he has not been charged with false statements on any "on the record" statements he has made in this regard. I understand that does not completely exonerate him, but it is interesting none the less, especially since they raided his office/property and everything.

    So two years later, and still nothing on the key aspect of the dossier's findings.

    "I have never engaged with, been paid by, paid for, or conversed with any member of the Russian Federation or anyone else to hack or interfere with the election,” Cohen told the Senate. "I emphatically state that I had nothing to do with any Russian involvement in our electoral process.”

    He added that he saw “not a hint of anything” that demonstrated Trump’s involvement in Russian interference in the election, either.
    To boot, this claim, was sourced from an anonymous "friend" of an unnamed "Kremlin insider." Recall McClatchy breathlessly reporting that Mueller had evidence of such a trip a while back.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Just saying we are going to investigate a person, not a crime. She has it backwards. WAY backwards. You investigate a crime, and then after the fact connect the people.
    Well, it does lay out, at least broadly, what kind of activities and transactions they'd be looking at.

    I don't know. Sounds like you're making a semantic argument more than a legal one. I mean, would it be a perversion if an NY AG stated that they were investigating Peter Gotti or Michael Mancuso?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Well, it does lay out, at least broadly, what kind of activities and transactions they'd be looking at.

    I don't know. Sounds like you're making a semantic argument more than a legal one. I mean, would it be a perversion if an NY AG stated that they were investigating Peter Gotti or Michael Mancuso?
    If said in the manner she did, yes it would be. She said what activities (that are legal...real estate and such) that they would be looking into. Not what illegal activities they believed to be occurring. This is lazy by an AG, and I would think this would be problematic to most people. Apparently I'm wrong. Because....Trump.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Just saying we are going to investigate a person, not a crime. She has it backwards. WAY backwards. You investigate a crime, and then after the fact connect the people.
    And you are drawing on your vast experience as a career prosecutor or law enforcement investigator?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    If said in the manner she did, yes it would be. She said what activities (that are legal...real estate and such) that they would be looking into. Not what illegal activities they believed to be occurring. This is lazy by an AG, and I would think this would be problematic to most people. Apparently I'm wrong. Because....Trump.
    You are wrong, because Trump. Trump is a criminal, and criminals tend to commit crimes.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Apparently I'm wrong. Because....Trump.
    Well, sort of, yes. I don't want to assume anything, but I'm wondering if you know much about Trump's developments in NY and NJ, or if you understand the tax irregularities that surround him. I think when you know a little bit about his history, the people who he did business with, and the nature of the world he worked in, it makes total sense. It certainly may be lazy for the incoming AG to frame it as she did, but it's not ludicrous or anything.

    As you pointed out up thread, "Trump has not been some secret in Manhattan for decades". There is a track record there and it seems that the efforts she is outlining are entirely based on that context.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Is this where we're putting this stuff now?:

    Federal prosecutors give National Enquirer publisher immunity over hush-money payment to purported Trump lover

    AMI admitted it paid off McDougal to keep her from publicizing her "damaging allegations" of having had a lengthy affair with Trump a decade before the 2016 election, the prosecutors' office said.

    The company also admitted "it made the $150,000 payment in concert with" Trump's campaign, according to the SDNY.

    "AMI further admitted that its principal purpose in making the payment was to suppress the woman's story so as to prevent it from influencing the election," prosecutors said.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    You are wrong, because Trump. Trump is a criminal, and criminals tend to commit crimes.
    I know civil rights. This isn't rocket science people. Investigative bodies do not have the right to just invade people's private lives without any probable cause. This is elementary. I get you are happy because it's Trump. And we can wave all concerns of civil liberties aside because of that. So continue on. Ignorance truly is bliss.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Well, sort of, yes. I don't want to assume anything, but I'm wondering if you know much about Trump's developments in NY and NJ, or if you understand the tax irregularities that surround him. I think when you know a little bit about his history, the people who he did business with, and the nature of the world he worked in, it makes total sense. It certainly may be lazy for the incoming AG to frame it as she did, but it's not ludicrous or anything.

    As you pointed out up thread, "Trump has not been some secret in Manhattan for decades". There is a track record there and it seems that the efforts she is outlining are entirely based on that context.
    It's alarming because it portrays the justice system as not being blind. It leads one to believe that the AG has agenda (which sure as **** she probably does). These are major problems 3 years ago. today, not so much apparently. it was an abuse of power then, now...just how things are done.

    You also would have to ignore the race for AG up there, which was essentially a "I'm gonna get trump better" race.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It's alarming because it portrays the justice system as not being blind.
    But you really have to be blind to not see that a lot of his conduct in NY would warrant investigation. In reality, it seems the SDNY (and, certainly the DGE in Jersey) often turnded a blind eye to a lot of the things Trump did. (Though some things were "settled and sealed", we don't totally know the extent of some of the investigations and litigation that surrounded his business there.)

    It leads one to believe that the AG has agenda (which sure as **** she probably does).
    Well, yeah. To investigate crimes. It's not so much different than Giuliani's "agenda" against the mob in the SDNY in the 70s and 80s, and no one in their right mind would say that he didn't make that political.

    You also would have to ignore the race for AG up there, which was essentially a "I'm gonna get trump better" race.
    I guess you're upset mainly because she named names? I mean she could have just said that she was going to investigate those activities in general, but you'd have to live on the moon or be born yesterday to not know that these are the activities Trump has long been thought to be a part of. I can understand someone not liking the way these things are campaigned upon, but I can't buy the incredulity to Trump being investigated by that district from anyone who claims to understand the nature and mechanisms of his business dealings there the years.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    But you really have to be blind to not see that a lot of his conduct in NY would warrant investigation. In reality, it seems the SDNY (and, certainly the DGE in Jersey) often turnded a blind eye to a lot of the things Trump did. (Though some things were "settled and sealed", we don't totally know the extent of some of the investigations and litigation that surrounded his business there.)
    You are assuming A LOT here.



    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Well, yeah. To investigate crimes. It's not so much different than Giuliani's "agenda" against the mob in the SDNY in the 70s and 80s, and no one in their right mind would say that he didn't make that political.
    You hit the nail on the head. The AG's responsibility is to investigate crimes. Just admit that this doesn't bother you because Trump is low hanging fruit and saying anything negative about him is generally accepted in society today. The guy has only been operating in full view of the public for years and now, bam, he's president and now he is super crooked. That doesn't smell fishy one iota.



    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I guess you're upset mainly because she named names? I mean she could have just said that she was going to investigate those activities in general, but you'd have to live on the moon or be born yesterday to not know that these are the activities Trump has long been thought to be a part of. I can understand someone not liking the way these things are campaigned upon, but I can't buy the incredulity to Trump being investigated by that district from anyone who claims to understand the nature and mechanisms of his business dealings there the years.
    I'm not upset, just sad that this sort of thing can be said and people like you will justify it, no matter how wrong headed it is. Because....Trump.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    To show exactly how political this smells (and it does), she could have easily said the same about Clinton Foundation (current whistblower case), yet doesn't. Which is why you should just keep you mouth shut in the first place. The AGs job isn't to tilt the scales, it's to apply justice equally and impartially. This appears like neither. But that's ok, because.... Trump.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    You are assuming A LOT here.
    No, I'm not. I'm basing it on 40 years of Trump. I was't born yesterday.

    You hit the nail on the head. The AG's responsibility is to investigate crimes. Just admit that this doesn't bother you because Trump is low hanging fruit and saying anything negative about him is generally accepted in society today. The guy has only been operating in full view of the public for years and now, bam, he's president and now he is super crooked. That doesn't smell fishy one iota.
    What?! Are we talking about the same guy here? He's been in full public view for 50 YEARS! This stuff has surrounded him his ENTIRE professional life. From day one, it didn't make sense that he would go into politics himself, because he was so good at manipulating politics to enrich himself already,

    I'm not upset, just sad that this sort of thing can be said and people like you will justify it, no matter how wrong headed it is. Because....Trump.
    Oh my god, come on. None of this isn't anything that I would have not said 30 years ago! And, again, YES, because TRUMP. Not because President Trump, but because decades of Trump, Inc.

    But, anyway, doesn't matter. You know what you know. And if you're shocked by it, so be it. And for the "people like you" comment... shove it.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Trump's non-Russia related criminal activity

    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    No, I'm not. I'm basing it on 40 years of Trump. I was't born yesterday.



    What?! Are we talking about the same guy here? He's been in full public view for 50 YEARS! This stuff has surrounded him his ENTIRE professional life. From day one, it didn't make sense that he would go into politics himself, because he was so good at manipulating politics to enrich himself already,



    Oh my god, come on. None of this isn't anything that I would have not said 30 years ago! And, again, YES, because TRUMP. Not because President Trump, but because decades of Trump, Inc.

    But, anyway, doesn't matter. You know what you know. And if you're shocked by it, so be it. And for the "people like you" comment... shove it.
    What's shocking is you are sure he is crooked and should be in jail, yet investigation after investigation, and he still walks free. At some point you have to come to the conclusion that maybe you just don't know so much about something that you think you know.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Good Trump/Bad Trump
    By Eric in forum Politics
    Replies: 248
    Last Post: 09-07-2018, 10:37 AM
  2. Hero or Criminal
    By Garin in forum Politics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 11:29 PM
  3. To Catch a Criminal
    By Thunder in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-04-2011, 11:37 AM
  4. Another nominee for Dumbest Criminal
    By gmwise in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 02:15 PM
  5. Criminal Cases Rarely Reach Trail
    By FOR GIVING HUSBAND in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2006, 12:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO