Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    OKC is better off served by freeways than mass transit.
    I'm sure the folks here who may not be able to afford cars might have a different perspective.

There will be a groundbreaking ceremony for this project on June 28th at 9 AM on the SW corner of Classen and NW 23rd.

Weird. I glanced at all the social media for the Rapid BRT and haven't seen a single thing about it. Wonder why it isn't more widely advertised.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220627.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	17539

If you're signed up for Embark email newsletter updates, they sent out a notice a week ago, but agree, it should have been more widely stated on their social as well, considering it's tomorrow.

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/RapidBrt/status/1546899699130564608

RAPID buses will be equipped with (TSP) AKA Transit Signal Priority at 38 intersections - including Penn & NW Expressway.

How does it work? Intelligent traffic light systems hold green lights longer for BRT buses to help ensure RAPID and on-time trips.

Blog Entries

Construction Update Email from 7/15
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OZH...XT5psWY6Sa3CT/

How is it that Edmond City link buses are all free including the 100x route to OUHSC but BRT won't be free? Don't property taxes go towards public transit?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    How is it that Edmond City link buses are all free including the 100x route to OUHSC but BRT won't be free? Don't property taxes go towards public transit?
    Property taxes have traditionally been the main source of revenue for local governments, though this has been less true in Oklahoma. Property taxes are the main source of non-grant revenue for school districts, counties, and career-tech systems. Cities may use property taxes only to pay the debt on bonds approved by voters. Under the Oklahoma Constitution, property tax rates are limited for each government and purpose, and most rate increases within those limits require a vote of the people.
    https://okpolicy.org/resources/onlin.../property-tax/

So then how do other cities get free public transit? In most resort towns, free buses are subsidized by hotels motel tax on tourists, but I don't think anyone considers Edmond or OKC a resort town.

11. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

other cities prioritize transit which is easier for them to do because they don't need to fund as much as OKC, which the city itself funds just about EVERY public amenity enjoyed by this metro area. It's not fair and so OKC can only allocate so much for transit - which is already far more than all other metro cities combined by a long shot. OKC can't make everything free, transit less so.

This is why I'm arguing for OKC to get out of the transit business (except streetcar) and promote EMBARK to a regional government agency (say for instance, ACOG's RTA). They could get funding via property taxes, gas taxes, and other sources with a regional emphasis (vs just OKC funding just about the entire metro on a portion of its sales tax). The state would have to make some mods for this to happen, but this is how it is in most large cities not NY and CHI. Here in Seattle, the County funds local transit and we created a RTD named Sound Transit which has bonding, property, and gas tax authority in a regional prospective. I believe King County Metro (Seattle's bus company) is property tax only but I could be wrong. The City of Seattle only funds its Streetcars and the Seattle Monorail (if you call that transit).

OKC should do similar, get out of the regional transit business and let the regional government do it - OKC would still be the principal city with the most service since it will still be the primary contributor and is the focal city of the metro but if it were regional there'd be much better opportunity for transit throughout the metro and connecting to downtown OKC. Then, OKC could consider it's streetcar a free service (ala Kansas City's) at least until it can be expanded into the neighborhoods beyond downtown.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Yesterday, I noticed a BRT stop almost complete on Classen, the first one I've seen.

The permits have been filed for the rest and we should start seeing them pop up along the route.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yesterday, I noticed a BRT stop almost complete on Classen, the first one I've seen.

The permits have been filed for the rest and we should start seeing them pop up along the route.
    2 new stops are almost complete on each side of 63rd Street at Meridian.

I do hope that the city will further invest in mass transit. If anything, the reliance of vehicular travel will drastically decrease, making pedestrian traffic safer and reducing gridlock. If we don't invest in this opportunity now, we will look like Boston in about 10 years.

I'm sure you can ask anyone from that area, the Big Dig managed to give the city back to it's citizens, but the traffic is still an abysmal nightmare with their relatively weak mass transit system.

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    I do hope that the city will further invest in mass transit. If anything, the reliance of vehicular travel will drastically decrease, making pedestrian traffic safer and reducing gridlock. If we don't invest in this opportunity now, we will look like Boston in about 10 years.

I'm sure you can ask anyone from that area, the Big Dig managed to give the city back to it's citizens, but the traffic is still an abysmal nightmare with their relatively weak mass transit system.
    OKC "rush hour" is the best rush hour out of any large city I have lived in. The amount of highways and tolls is amazing and the city being built on a grid with zero water on either side and 1.13k people per square mile.

Boston is a mess and does not have a grid system and water on one side of the entire city plus it has 14K people per square mile, OKC will never be like boston.

OKC was built for automobiles. The worst city for traffic I have lived in was Seattle having water on both sides of it and 8.75K people per square mile

Press release:

MAPS 4 seeks public input for Bus Rapid Transit study
    12/22/2022

The City of Oklahoma City is inviting residents to weigh in on advanced transit options in person and by taking an online survey at MAPS4BRT.com. MAPS 4 includes $61 million to build two additional Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) lines in South and Northeast Oklahoma City.

BRT is a high-quality, bus-based transit service that operates similar to light rail. To achieve rapid service, BRT may include dedicated traffic lanes, traffic signal prioritization (TSP), and fewer stops with elevated platforms with enhanced stations. Combined, these characteristics allow BRT lines to minimize traffic delays and maximize service quality – making BRT an ideal alternative to traveling during high traffic times of day in a single occupant vehicle.

MAPS 4 launched a map survey and a written survey to inform the planning process to gain a high-level understanding of community transportation needs in South and Northeast OKC. Both surveys are available in English and Spanish.

Results from the survey will help determine future BRT corridors based on commuter corridors planned by the Regional Transportation Authority of Central Oklahoma, the RAPID NW BRT line currently under construction by EMBARK, flow of traffic on major street arterials, travel time, and key destinations. Recommendations will be informed by public input gathered from survey results, pop-up events and public meetings.

Two public open house meetings will be held in January 2023. Spanish-speaking interpreters will be available:

Tuesday, Jan. 24 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Metro Tech Springlake Campus, Room H (1900 Springlake Dr. Oklahoma City, OK 73111) - Location is served by bus routes 3 and 22
    Thursday, Jan. 26 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Capitol Hill Library, Room 2 (327 SW 27th St. Oklahoma City, OK 73109) - Location is served by bus routes 11, 14, and 40
    The project budget for MAPS 4 Transit is $97 million, with $67 million for advanced transit options including BRT, park-and-ride facilities and micro transit. Additionally, the Transit project includes planned growth, bus stop improvements and enhanced EMBARK bus service.

“The goal for the MAPS 4 BRT Alternatives Analysis is to understand the community’s priorities and values to gain insight into our transportation needs and involve the public in the process of creating a more connected community,” MAPS 4 Program Manager David Todd said. “Bus Rapid Transit can help address gaps in our public transit system and connecting key destinations in Oklahoma City with a higher level of transit service. This will better the lives of our residents and visitors by improving economic development and commuter access, so we are looking forward to gathering input and moving forward with the project.”

Residents can stay up to date on the MAPS 4 Transit project at okc.gov/maps4. Learn more about BRT and take the survey at MAPS4BRT.com.

They just posted this timeline to their social media accounts:

the south BRT has so much potential. I really hope they put it down Walker on a dedicated ROW. If walker was closed off to cars they could easily take other roads to get where they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    the south BRT has so much potential. I really hope they put it down Walker on a dedicated ROW. If walker was closed off to cars they could easily take other roads to get where they need to.
    all of the business' on walker might have a different opinion

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    all of the business' on walker might have a different opinion
    All of the business on Walker would disagree that cars could easily take other roads to get where they need to?

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    You might already be thinking this given your apparent familiarity with transit, but I feel like it would need to start out with certain times/days as some iteration of an express bus at peak ridership times before it would be considered as a dedicated busway thoroughfare. I do think Walker is probably the most ready to adapt to that and given the plaza going in on Harvey between 24th and 25th, south side leadership has shown it is willing and looking to make the area for the community to take pride in being part of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    All of the business on Walker would disagree that cars could easily take other roads to get where they need to?
    they would not be ok with the form of transit that 99% of their customers use being banned from their street ..

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Yeah, going 100 to 0 on cars is not have you get transit up and running. It's how you get so much backlash, it is counterproductive.

Will any of the brt lines currently being planned be easily upgradable to lrt in the future? Or will the lines other than the north west line use EV busses? This actually isn't a bad start but it seems like it was built for 2005 instead of 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    Will any of the brt lines currently being planned be easily upgradable to lrt in the future? Or will the lines other than the north west line use EV busses? This actually isn't a bad start but it seems like it was built for 2005 instead of 2025.
    no because none of them are true BRT ie they don't have their own lanes .. (except for a stops and some intersections)

Thread Information