Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Probably the biggest draws will be Penn Square, Oak, and the hospital. I also agree it should go farther than Meridian and expressed that during public meetings. It should go all the way to the turnpike for park/ride users. Regarding route 5, there will only be a few BRT stops on Classen, I think they're going to convert some Rt 5 stops to BRT elevated stops, but I didn't compare the stops side-by side, so maybe they were just stopping in some of the same places.

I mean route 8 goes to Penn Square and route 7 goes to the hospital. I think they need to figure this out better a brt from either Norman or uco would be better served in my opinion

Blog Entries

You're not wrong about route selection problems.

And yes, I've taken 7/8. Hoping the two BRTs in MAPS 4 will be more of a value add.

4. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Quote Originally Posted by the michigander View Post
    My question is who is going to be riding a articulated bus we can't even fill up a 40ft bus now. Also unless they make some changes the route 5 goes thru pretty much the same route leaving the terminal and there is not much to go to between Belle isle and meridian so i dont see to many riders. Not if it went to council it would be different
    exactly my point, you need to be different to attract ridership. Nobody's going to ride an existing 40' bus when it also doesnt even have true signal priority come to find out and doesn't hit the populated areas in the NW (for true park n ride). ...

Hate to say it - this is once again setting up for failure all around. EMBARK should really look at peer cities (DENVER) to benchmark how it's done vs. continually driving "worker class" transit down our throats. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dutvxy15O8

The second half of this video has some updated NW BRT information.

Design permits have been filed for the BRT station at 8th & Hudson; will be directly in front of Elemental Coffee.

I love the design consistency with the streetcar stops. I hope we start to see the rest of these start to go up soon, didn't realize we were at the point where construction was ready to start.

Blog Entries

With service starting mid-2023 we only have 18 mos for the stop engineering and construction to happen, plus all the associated things.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I love the design consistency with the streetcar stops. I hope we start to see the rest of these start to go up soon, didn't realize we were at the point where construction was ready to start.
    I do too, but for the first time this morning had a thought: is it possible that non-locals might get confused between the two? I mean obviously streetcar stops have tracks running in front of them/overhead wires, but if you're not paying close attention/not thinking about it is that sort of mix-up possible? Will they be differentiated clearly?

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I do too, but for the first time this morning had a thought: is it possible that non-locals might get confused between the two? I mean obviously streetcar stops have tracks running in front of them/overhead wires, but if you're not paying close attention/not thinking about it is that sort of mix-up possible? Will they be differentiated clearly?
    i think the BRT will share a few street car stops as well

That bus shelter is not good. They need bigger canopy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.res..._262805964/amp

Will this service both Sbound and Nbound?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Will this service both Sbound and Nbound?
    Southbound only.

The only stop that will have both directions is the one to the immediate south, the bus transit station at 4th and Hudson. Some stops will have both directions across the street from one another; so still separate although in close promity.

You can see the details for all the stops here:

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...38#post1152838

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Southbound only.

The only stop that will have both directions is the one to the immediate south, the bus transit station at 4th and Hudson. Some stops will have both directions across the street from one another; so still separate although in close promity.

You can see the details for all the stops here:

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...38#post1152838
    So how does one get on going NB if they were enjoying a cup?

Blog Entries

Looking at the map it's either walk from 8th to 4th or from 8th to 10th/Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Looking at the map it's either walk from 8th to 4th or from 8th to 10th/Lee.
    Or ride the southbound for three stops before it turns around and heads north.

Blog Entries

good point

18. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

looks like the transit center will only have outbound stop as well (I didn't see an Inbound).

LOVE the Park/Robinson stop. That will complement the Streetcar Stop across the street very nicely to really give an urban downtown feel to that already very urban segment of the city.

19. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    My impression (which could be wrong) is that signal prioritization wasn't going to include shutting down the entire intersection for the bus but rather the bus sending a signal to the light ahead to turn green (at least for most intersections without turns), but that it would otherwise drive normally in the lane. That way cars ahead of it would benefit and get to proceed along with the bus, but wouldn't block it.
    I know this is an old post but in Denver, busses get an early green light while the intersection is otherwise closed on priority routes near downtown.

This project now has a twitter account: https://twitter.com/RapidBrt

21. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

and it appears the OKC BRT network will be known as RAPID. Hope that becomes the name of the entire regional system, OKC RAPID.

still disappointed with the intended use of 40-foot buses though, particularly considering the price. Hopefully there will be some advanced/clean technology instead of just a paint job on existing buses. ..

I doubt they change the name. What they should do is go back the metro as most people around the world seem more familiar with that but Embark isn’t horrible or too cheesy.

i would be nice if this was real Bus rapid transit ..

^^^ +1000000

This is basically enhanced bus service and nothing more to call this BRT is comical especially when you realize how long it’s taking

James Cooper posted about this project, calling it "Northwest Rapid"

https://www.facebook.com/jamesforokc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brt.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	17199

Thread Information