Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

I wasn’t aware of that. It helps a bit knowing it will be true BRT. No offense to Tulsa but their system is hardly true BRT. It’s more like enhanced rapid bus service.

Blog Entries

To clarify I said I've seen no indication that it will be true BRT.

I misread your comment. That is a shame to hear.

Blog Entries

We're still trying to get ours off the ground and Tulsa is working on their second BRT route for launch next year maybe:

https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/pos...e-taking-shape

I wish we would get an update on our regional transit projects. What the hell is going on with commuter rail? Wasn’t it supposed to be coming online in a year or two?? IIRC, NWE BRT project should open in 2022/23. When is groundbreaking?

They need to convert a lane of classen to bus only for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I wish we would get an update on our regional transit projects. What the hell is going on with commuter rail? Wasn’t it supposed to be coming online in a year or two?? IIRC, NWE BRT project should open in 2022/23. When is groundbreaking?

They need to convert a lane of classen to bus only for this.
    Commuter rail is dependent on the RTA sales tax increase passing, right? I haven't seen a scheduled date for that election.

NW BRT Project and Design Update - HNTB

COTPA Meeting (Jan. 8, 2021)

https://youtu.be/YvvrVi7Li-0

I'm in the process of doing screen captures of most the slides.

Here is the first batch:

Thx for all the stop info, haven't been keeping up on it, didn't know there were so many stops - what's the estimated time it will take to get from one end to the other?

12-15 minutes during peak time; 20 minutes max.

The stations will have real-time arrival info.

I'm doing a full write-up.

They should really think about adding a stop at NW Expressway/Villa, otherwise they're going over a mile and a half between stops and missing out on good access to a few neighborhoods in that area, plus a (soon to be) renovated library.

It looks like they will be greatly enhancing the pedestrian access at Penn and NW Expressway, something several of us have griped about for a while.

Will also make it easier to move between The Oak and Penn Square Mall.

I'm in the middle of watching the video and I was just coming here to comment about that. Gonna be a few years yet I assume, but eventually that will solve all of my complaints. On this particular issue at least.

Does anyone know if there is a plan to extend this project farther up NW Expressway?

There is a massive concentration of apartments at Wilshire, about a 1.5 miles towards the northwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a plan to extend this project farther up NW Expressway?

There is a massive concentration of apartments at Wilshire, about a 1.5 miles towards the northwest.
    Even if there's not, Embark needs to take the opportunity to increase the use of transfer service. The 010, 008, & 007 should cut off north of 36th and and the lines to the north should be re-created to tie into 2 or 3 transfer stops with the BRT. The southern parts can be assumed into other lines as well. Then the 005 should stop at NWX/Classen and transfer to BRT. In no world should I have to travel >15 miles to get form 63rd/MacArthur to 23rd/MacArthur.

Thanks for the link—I somehow missed this latest meeting even though I've been seeking out more info as of late. I'm now only a half mile from a stop, so I'm increasingly excited about the potential here. I do hope we can ultimately achieve better than 12-15 minute headways for a true BRT... those sorts of frequencies were what were standard for all buses where I'm from. I'm worried that unless the BRT is a clearly easier option than driving that people here wont utilize it, and a 15 minute wait to even get on probably isn't gonna cut it for many when you could be downtown and parked by then. Still, the idea of being able to easily hop down to the Plaza for an evening without thinking about parking or who will DD sounds great. I remember seeing the results of a big planning they'd done for realtors where they stated their desire to grow density and destinations around each of the transit stops, though I don't know if that's still the vision. Also hope the attendant intersection/walkability improvements come to pass.

Really looking forward to the write-up, Pete.

Blog Entries

Looks like they're still planning to share lanes. I haven't watched the video yet but will soon.

Just wanted to say I was in Grand Rapids this past weekend and their silver line BRT has bus only lanes during peak times (7a-9a, 4p-6p) and shared lanes all other times. It's a 4 lane road that goes down to 2 lanes during peak. IMO this could work well for both Classen and NW Exp.

First look at Bus Rapid Transit system to connect NW OKC to downtown

Preliminary plans have been presented for a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system, a $28.8 million investment to quickly move passengers between northwest Oklahoma City and downtown.

The city has contracted with HNTB, an infrastructure design firm based in Kansas City.

HNTB presented what they termed a “30% design”; a preliminary step to identify the system basics so that property and utility coordination can commence.

The proposed route includes 32 stops running from the heart of downtown, along Classen then generally following Northwest Expressway to a terminus near Meridian Avenue. The entire route would be 9.5 miles one-way.

The system is designed to move people much more quickly than a standard bus, with few stops, traffic signal prioritization and other features to increase efficiency.

The compressed natural gas vehicles would emit close to zero emissions and feature elevated stops that allow for level boarding, similar to the Oklahoma City streetcar.

Travel time from end to end would be 12-15 minutes during peak times and 20 minutes maximum. The buses would also come more frequently than in the current system and stations would provide real-time arrival times.

The route is designed to serve high-density locations and to be integrated with pedestrian and bike routes. Each station would have a bike rack and ticket vending machine as well as a shelter and ample lighting in addition to pylon signage with arrival information.

Like the streetcar, the BRT vehicles would have signal priority, either elongated or early green lights. At some intersections, such as Penn and NW Expressway, the vehicles would receive a green light before automobile traffic, allowing the BRT buses to “jump the queue” and get out in front of traffic.

The goal is transportation that more closely approaches rail as opposed to a traditional bus.

The $28.8 million budget includes the vehicles and stations and signalization but there will also be matching civic funds for pedestrian enhancements and connections.

Two Park & Ride locations would be located at Penn Square Mall at the northern terminus.

An exact timetable for start and completion was not provided as the project continues to move forward.

I realized when looking at the article you tweeted this morning that you are missing the second NW Expressway and Penn slide, Pete.

https://youtu.be/YvvrVi7Li-0?t=874

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I realized when looking at the article you tweeted this morning that you are missing the second NW Expressway and Penn slide, Pete.

https://youtu.be/YvvrVi7Li-0?t=874
    Thanks, I added it to the article:

I'm extremely disappointed that they decided to bump the route off of NW Expressway at Integris. I live just north of there on Independence and this pretty much guarantees we won't be using this line.

Agree with previous poster that this line should have stopped at the Belle Isle Library.

So does this mean Classen will never go on a road diet?

Finally watched the full COPTA meeting video. Is there really an appetite for a park-and-ride? How many people are going to bother to drive all the way to a park-and-ride and then get out and wait for a bus when they could easily just continue onward to downtown with plentiful parking, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Finally watched the full COPTA meeting video. Is there really an appetite for a park-and-ride? How many people are going to bother to drive all the way to a park-and-ride and then get out and wait for a bus when they could easily just continue onward to downtown with plentiful parking, etc?
    I'm sure it won't get used much.

The only real advantage is avoiding to pay to park if you're going downtown.

Thread Information