Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit System "BRT" up Classen / NW Expressway

You should attend the public meeting tomorrow at 5:45 at the Tower Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    You should attend the public meeting tomorrow at 5:45 at the Tower Hotel.
    Any report out of that meeting?

Blog Entries

It was a very long meeting. Was almost 8 before we were out (actually it might have been after 8, I've slept since then). Lots of questions asked, most of them meaningful. It was pretty much the same presentation that I had seen at ACOG, with a few added speakers and a somewhat deeper dive on a few points. The Q&A panel at the end (all the speakers basically) was pretty informative. Probably the best thing I saw was the Embark employees going around at the end proactively asking people if all their questions were answered.

One question that was asked and answered (and I must paraphrase)...

Q: Are there going to be sidewalks built along NW Exp?

A: Actually, the better approach would be to prioritize building out the sidewalks in the nearby neighborhoods leading to those transit stops (those don't exist either) which would draw in the ridership, rather than providing an alternate transport means parallel to the transit route.

Again that was my paraphrase. I thought that was a fair point. I'm sure the end state has those sidewalks in along NW Exp, but agreed what good are those if the neighborhoods along NW Exp can't walk to the transit stops OR to any parallel sidewalks that might exist.

I'm hearing there is consideration being given to including some form of Express Bus/BRT service for the Northwest Expressway corridor similar to what was proposed in this study as a transit piece for a MAPS 3 Extension/Maps 4.

If done right, it could be a beneficial step forward toward development of a regional transit system. The 2005 Fixed Guideway Study included Express Bus/BRT service for that corridor as part of the system plan, and having recently driven out and back on Northwest Expressway at rush hour, I can testify that the traffic congestion was nearly as bad as what I regularly experience on I-35 and the Broadway Extension.

However, it's my understanding that true BRT development can sometimes cost almost as much as Light Rail. If that were the case, you'd get significantly more benefit in terms of ridership and transit-oriented development with a Light Rail or Rapid Streetcar for that corridor.

Default Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Just posted by Mayor Holt on Facebook:

(If there's a better thread for this, feel free to move)

BREAKING OKC TRANSIT NEWS:

Senator Jim Inhofe has just announced that Oklahoma City has received the $14.3M federal grant we applied for to construct OKC’s first Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line. This line will go from downtown up North Classen and then up Northwest Expressway to Meridian. ‬

In layman’s terms, BRT is a mode of transit where a bus essentially mimics many of the attributes that make trains popular (but at a fraction of the cost). It’s the ideal transit method for several of our corridors, including this one. See a map and some renderings below.

Over a decade ago, our city envisioned a new transit system to include better bus service, a downtown streetcar, bus rapid transit and commuter rail. Earlier this year, we approved Sunday bus service for the first time. Last month, we joined the state’s first Regional Transit Authority, the first step towards commuter rail. Next week we’ll open the streetcar, and today comes this announcement. Much work to do, but 2018 will definitely go down as the best year for OKC transit in modern memory.

My kudos to Embark and my thanks to Senator Inhofe and the U.S. Department of Transportation! We look forward to turning this dream into reality!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Corridor Announced

Definitely like it but wish it went to Rockwell

Default Re: OKC Regional Transit System

Significant announcement by Mayor Holt starting from this tweet: https://twitter.com/davidfholt/statu...03530422747137

BREAKING OKC TRANSIT NEWS: Senator @JimInhofe has just announced that OKC has received the $14.3M federal grant we applied for to construct OKC’s first Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line. This line will go from downtown up N Classen and then up NW Expressway to Meridian.

In layman’s terms, BRT is a mode of transit where a bus essentially mimics many of the attributes that make trains popular (but at a fraction of the cost). It’s the ideal transit method for several of our corridors, including this one. See a couple of renderings below...

Over a decade ago, our city envisioned a new transit system to include better bus service, a downtown streetcar, bus rapid transit and commuter rail. Earlier this year, we approved Sunday bus service for the first time....

... Last month, we joined the state’s first Regional Transit Authority (RTA), the first step towards commuter rail. Next week we’ll open @OKCStreetcar, and today comes this. Much work to do, but 2018 will definitely go down as the best year for OKC transit in modern memory.

My kudos to @EMBARKOK and my thanks to Senator @JimInhofe and the @USDOT! We look forward to turning this dream into reality! #1OKC

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Definitely like it but wish it went to Rockwell
    Make your voice heard - it would add 2 miles but I bet they could add it in the future! Is traffic past Meridian still pretty dense? We are looking at dedicated Bus Lanes all the way to Meridian, but the system past Meridian should still benefit from a speed perspective.

This is a really great project especially since it starts Downtown and will connect to the Streetcar.

9. Default Re: OKC Regional Transit System

Omg!

It's coming!!!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

10. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Corridor Announced

Congrats OKC on your FIRST Mass Transit route (funded)!!! And first federal funded transit for OKC (modern times). !!!

I'd LOVE to also see BRT to WRWA on the short, something the city could fund as well as an extension of the NWX line further to Piedmont (come on Piedmont, partner with the RTD).

BRT in the West Metro makes sense. Commuter Railin the N-S and E corridors also makes sense! BIG, HUGE first step. HUGE!

14.3 million is quite a bit of money. Hopefully they purchase the new zero emissions, electric buses.

12. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Corridor Announced

Awesome news! An intermodal hub...a modern streetcar...an RTA...and now a BRT line...wow! The hard work, support and efforts of many over the years has us well on our way to a great transit future!

14. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Corridor Announced

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    14.3 million is quite a bit of money. Hopefully they purchase the new zero emissions, electric buses.
    Also some $13M matching locally. Hopefully we can also get some state funds and voila.

Just so we are clear while this is a good step it is not really BRT

Also not the first federa transit dollars for okc. In fact federal money put in part of the streetcar track

I’m sure I missed it, but is there a timeline for implementation of this line?

Please partner with INTEGRIS and get this done!

BRT Independence & NW Expressway
    by lazio85, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

Also not the first federa transit dollars for okc. In fact federal money put in part of the streetcar track
    How is it "not really BRT"? Because it won't have it's own dedicated lane along the entire route?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Boulder is correct...the current planning is for BRT "lite", which is a nice step up from regular bus service, but not true BRT. BRT "lite" involves outside-curb stations with BAT lanes, but does not involve dedicated operating lanes or a fixed guideway. Beyond the stations, the bus operates in traffic.

Notes from Seattle: Bus Rapid Transit "lite"

21. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Corridor Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Pryor Tiger View Post
    Make your voice heard - it would add 2 miles but I bet they could add it in the future! Is traffic past Meridian still pretty dense? We are looking at dedicated Bus Lanes all the way to Meridian, but the system past Meridian should still benefit from a speed perspective.

This is a really great project especially since it starts Downtown and will connect to the Streetcar.
    Meridian does seem to be an odd place to make a cut-off. Anyone who's driven down NW Expressway further than that could attest to that. But, like you said, it's a start. But, if they aren't planning on dedicated lanes for these buses, I feel like that's just going to make traffic worse in those areas.

There is a big group of lower income apartments on the south side of NWEX to the west of MacArthur; the Lyrewood area.

Many of those residents would benefit from at least getting this service that far.

If it did go out as far as Rockwell then it would be a huge get for us out in Yukon/Piedmont area. We could park way out and ride in!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazio85 View Post
    Please partner with INTEGRIS and get this done!

BRT Independence & NW Expressway
    by lazio85, on Flickr
    Is there even enough room in front of Starbucks to build this?

Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

This is about NW Expressway and the city taking it over from ODOT, but it also mentions BRT, so I thought I would put it here:

OKC to take over ownership of Northwest Expressway

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record January 28, 2019

OKLAHOMA CITY – Most of Northwest Expressway doesn’t really operate like a highway anymore, so perhaps Oklahoma City should take over its upkeep from the state Department of Transportation.

At least that’s the reasoning behind a City Council agenda item scheduled for consideration Tuesday, Public Works spokeswoman Shannon Cox said. The six-lane road – three in each direction, with a grassy median – is typically recognized in the metro area as running from Penn Square Mall to the northwest edge of the city. But that is just a section of its original designation: State Highway 3. And most of SH-3 doesn’t typically handle metro traffic loads.

“Because of development in the area and all the stoplight signals over time, it’s become more of an arterial street or corridor,” Cox said. “It’s a matter of practicality. … We’ll maintain it just like all our other city streets.”

The Transportation Department and City Hall came to a mutual agreement that the section of SH-3 between State Highway 74 and Hefner Road best serves residents under the municipality’s jurisdiction. As part of the property transfer agreement under consideration by the City Council, ODOT will seek approval from the state Transportation Commission to work on several construction projects along that stretch of SH-3 to bring it up to city standards before handing it over. Once that happens, the section will be removed from the National Highway System.

Under the agreement, ODOT will provide professional engineering services for all items except upgrading traffic signal controllers, which will be the city’s responsibility. ODOT also agrees to provide 100 percent of the construction costs for roadway resurfacing and restriping.

SH-3 actually begins at the Colorado state line at Boise City and runs concurrent with several other highways throughout its length, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation. When it splits from U.S. Highway 81, the road becomes known as Northwest Expressway in the metro area. Near Will Rogers World Airport, SH-3 is transferred onto Interstate 240 and then Interstate 40. Miles after it leaves the metro, SH-3 becomes Highway 32 as it crosses into Arkansas.

Cox said decades ago the city accepted the portion of Northwest Expressway nearest the mall, so the new deal is largely just an extension and recognition of population growth.

The shift of ownership should also make it easier for Oklahoma City Hall to develop a bus rapid transit, or BRT, line along the corridor, she said. At the end of 2018, officials announced that the city had received a federal grant of $14.3 million to develop a BRT along Northwest Expressway to Meridian Avenue after a short leg from downtown. Planning Manager Larry Hopper said the grant will receive matching funds from the city –$10.8 million in bond debt and $2.2 million in sales tax proceeds have already been approved by voters.

The nature of a BRT is similar to dedicated mass transit rail, Hopper said, increasing passenger capacity and schedule reliability by establishing priority over other vehicles in normal traffic flow. Other systems across the country show a dedicated bus lane is one possible element; traffic signal synchronization is another. Construction and parking lot development will be necessary over the next several years.

Thread Information