Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they would not be ok with the form of transit that 99% of their customers use being banned from their street ..
    There’s other streets. How familiar are you with Walker from south of the river to about Grand?

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Yeah, going 100 to 0 on cars is not have you get transit up and running. It's how you get so much backlash, it is counterproductive.
    You read my reply to Jose then, yeah?

no because none of them are true BRT ie they don't have their own lanes .. (except for a stops and some intersections)
    Yeah, it’s neat to call it BRT but I’m not sure how much it will function like a true BRT, especially when cities like Bueno Aires exist as examples of what it could be. NW Exwy-Classen-downtown seems like it could be a natural fit (obviously the old interurban historically plays a role in how some of the city’s built up) for an efficient BRT/LRT that could actually benefit the population but it seems like it could still be 20+ years off before anything like that would come about with the way public transit is so far behind here.

One thing that might be interesting is possibly building LRT in the center of NW Exwy/Classen for longer rides and the BRT that’s being built now for short-to-intermediate routes. I don’t know, I’m probably thinking too far ahead for what OKC can support within the next decade or two, but it’s fun to think ahead and speculate about how the city might transform, especially with it being relatively small but growing at a pretty healthy rate right as there’s a resurgence in city living across North America.

they would not be ok with the form of transit that 99% of their customers use being banned from their street ..
    Very much a fair point but id argue most of the businesses could be accessed by side streets. But as a compromise I would argue then just for walker from sw29th down to sw 59th be for busses only. and the rest of the route open for mixed traffic.

At Blackwelder utilities have been marked out, and they're staging traffic cones and such along the side of the road. Does this mean they're getting ready to start work on the BRT stops there?

Quote Originally Posted by Womp Womp View Post
    At Blackwelder utilities have been marked out, and they're staging traffic cones and such along the side of the road. Does this mean they're getting ready to start work on the BRT stops there?
    From Embark:

NW Expressway & Blackwelder Ave.
    Phase: Waterline work
    Traffic Control: The right lane of westbound NW Expressway will be closed at Blackwelder Ave. There will be two westbound lanes open during this time.
    Estimated Construction Timeline: 2/20/23 – 3/24/23

I'm confused with what's happening with the Classen stops at 13th. Are the outside lanes being used exclusively for the stop, just at that point? Is this the only stop designed this way?

8. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

BRT-Lite

or really, what should be a typical bus stop but to OKC transit planners is something "fancy" and therefore it has to be labeled differently.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I'm confused with what's happening with the Classen stops at 13th. Are the outside lanes being used exclusively for the stop, just at that point? Is this the only stop designed this way?
    If you look at the stop you can see what appears to be a by pass for a bicycle around the stop. I think the outside most east lane will be a bike lane between NW 10th and NW 13.

When the bus is stopped in the middle lane the north bound side of classen will be down to one lane. What do you see?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    If you look at the stop you can see what appears to be a by pass for a bicycle around the stop. I think the outside most east lane will be a bike lane between NW 10th and NW 13.

When the bus is stopped in the middle lane the north bound side of classen will be down to one lane. What do you see?
    I am pretty sure this is correct, except that I believe the bike lanes are going to stretch from NW 13th to NW 16th, rather than NW 10th to NW 13th. And looking back at Pete's screenshots in post #83 it does appear that this is the only stop which is being built in what was previously an existing lane of traffic, thereby taking the road down from three lanes each way to two lanes each way. From my experience frequently driving this stretch of Classen, two lanes each way is still more than enough capacity for approximately 23 hours per day. Especially given that I believe the outer lane will become a right-turn only lane at the NW 13th light going NB and the NW 16th light going SB, which should *hopefully* reduce problematic merges, though I've learned to never underestimate the ability of drivers in this city to not realize that a lane is ending until the last possible second.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I am pretty sure this is correct, except that I believe the bike lanes are going to stretch from NW 13th to NW 16th, rather than NW 10th to NW 13th. And looking back at Pete's screenshots in post #83 it does appear that this is the only stop which is being built in what was previously an existing lane of traffic, thereby taking the road down from three lanes each way to two lanes each way. From my experience frequently driving this stretch of Classen, two lanes each way is still more than enough capacity for approximately 23 hours per day. Especially given that I believe the outer lane will become a right-turn only lane at the NW 13th light going NB and the NW 16th light going SB, which should *hopefully* reduce problematic merges, though I've learned to never underestimate the ability of drivers in this city to not realize that a lane is ending until the last possible second.
    I do believe it is standard across the world to utilize a lane until it ends... I think OKC has a problem with everyone getting into the one open lane and causing a very long and stand still line while the lane in question is open for while longer. I tend to feel like OKC drivers are more like ants

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post

I honestly wasn't sure what I was seeing. lol.

But the fact that the outer lanes will be bike lanes for a few blocks makes a little more sense. I was trying to figure out if the lane ended just at the stops, which seemed kind of abrupt to me, and I didn't realize the outer part was a bike lane. I watched the video on it, but I guess I couldn't really tell what I was seeing.

I am pretty sure this is correct, except that I believe the bike lanes are going to stretch from NW 13th to NW 16th, rather than NW 10th to NW 13th.
    So, if that's the case, where is the merge point going north? I'm just wondering how far before the light traffic will need to move over.

Also, is southbound access to Western going away or will traffic cross in front of the stop to turn right onto Western.

Sorry if this is more obvious than I'm making it. It's kind of a goofy intersection to begin with and I don't think I've seen this done before.

It's kind of interesting that, in the video, it's explained away as "the outer lanes aren't used that much", which would seem to validate arguments for committing a lane to the BRT routes or some sort of BRT / HOV hybrid, at least along this part of Classen.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Especially given that I believe the outer lane will become a right-turn only lane at the NW 13th light going NB and the NW 16th light going SB, which should *hopefully* reduce problematic merges, .
    Well, that answers one of my questions and makes this whole thing make a lot more sense to me.

I guess I should read the entire post before replying. Thanks for the information.

Isn't this also the intersection that the school/daycare is going to be built? I think their playground fence would be along Classen if I remember correctly.

Also, I think if you want to get on Western there, you would have to turn infront of Scooters. Isn't that little Western Ave snippet between 13st and that Alley going to be removed when OnCue eventually builds there? I think I remember OnCue beautifying that little triangular island in their plans.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    Also, I think if you want to get on Western there, you would have to turn infront of Scooters. Isn't that little Western Ave snippet between 13st and that Alley going to be removed when OnCue eventually builds there? I think I remember OnCue beautifying that little triangular island in their plans.
    It does look like that will get reworked, according to the pinkish sketching on this slide:

That does say "to be design and constructed by others", but I imagine it's close. I'm not sure if the "others" have completed their assignment, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    That does say "to be design and constructed by others", but I imagine it's close. I'm not sure if the "others" have completed their assignment, yet.
    FYI , here are Pete's comments with the OnCue building permit for that location. https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...36#post1191936 ; https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...03#post1216303

Thanks for the info and the links. I (obviously) hadn't really been following this and it definitely makes a lot more sense now. Appreciate it.

At Blackwelder they've poured the concrete for the pullout for the inbound bus. Doesn't look like they've started on the station part of the stop, but things are moving.

Also RIP flat traffic cone.

What is being built on vacant Landon NE corner of N Classen and 13th?

We need a taco bell on that corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post

Primrose daycare.

21. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post

Tu Quiras Taco Bell! Isn't there a bell less than a mile south?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

On Classen and Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    On Classen and Reno.
    Classen and Sheridan.

Blog Entries

Curious about the north bound express bus stop at Classen and 13th. The inner lane is being taken out for a platform with the bus pulling in from Classen. So driving north on Classen the inner lane will stop at 13th, until passing the bus stop. Will the busses be able to load on drivers side? This seems to be a ‘different’ stop than other on Classen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    Curious about the north bound express bus stop at Classen and 13th. The inner lane is being taken out for a platform with the bus pulling in from Classen. So driving north on Classen the inner lane will stop at 13th, until passing the bus stop. Will the busses be able to load on drivers side? This seems to be a ‘different’ stop than other on Classen.
    I dont understand what you are asking. Busses will load like normal on passenger side.

The NB Classen stop has the bike/sidewalk/multi-use lane on the east side of the bus platform (right-hand side when facing the NB direction). The bus platform is in the current right-most lane of three lanes. However, NB Classen will be generally reduced to three lanes until like 16th street with the right-most lane converted to bike and buffer.

The BRT stations north of 16th on Classen will be designed to allow for an additional 12' space behind the sidewalk to allow for future design of a bike lane or multi-use path.

Thread Information