Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

I'd be open to meeting you in Yukon some weekend and test riding the route if it would help you be comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I'd be open to meeting you in Yukon some weekend and test riding the route if it would help you be comfortable with it.
    Thanks, but I was meaning with biking in general. I do have a road bike, but it probably needs a little TLC to be road-worthy again, plus I have definitely gotten outta shape since the pandemic came along...

Blog Entries

Get started. Let me know when you're ready.

4. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Paddy - Please send your concerns to Embark and the city. They need to hear from the population to see what the trends are for commuting and evaluate if they're meeting our needs. You may not be in the Embark district living in Yukon but they do need to hear that people living in Yukon do commute to downtown and omg - MWC/Del City/Tinker (in case they didn't notice). Therefore, they would then conclude they're significantly behind the times with regard to offering commute options to Yukon, even just including a park n ride lot near the West Transfer station.

Hard to believe OKC doesn't already have commuter bus running at least during rush hours from El Reno/Yukon to downtown, Edmond to downtown, Norman/Moore to downtown, and Tinker/MWC to downtown; with a suburban transit center or Park N ride (or both) at the suburb indicated. ... And no I'm not talking about running 40' buses as "Commuter Bus" (like they're going to be doing as "BRT" lite); but anything with those routing would at least be a good, quick start. Particularly with high gas prices and upcoming Commuter Rail, why isn't commuter bus even being mentioned?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Hard to believe OKC doesn't already have commuter bus running at least during rush hours from El Reno/Yukon to downtown, Edmond to downtown, Norman/Moore to downtown, and Tinker/MWC to downtown; with a suburban transit center or Park N ride (or both) at the suburb indicated. ... And no I'm not talking about running 40' buses as "Commuter Bus" (like they're going to be doing as "BRT" lite); but anything with those routing would at least be a good, quick start. Particularly with high gas prices and upcoming Commuter Rail, why isn't commuter bus even being mentioned?

All parties have to be willing. Yukon wasn't willing to be part of the RTA, what makes you think they would be willing to do a commuter bus? IMO it would be better if paddy would apply pressure to Yukon, because I think OKC would be IN.

There's already a commuter bus route between OKC/Norman during rush hours (Embark operated route 24)
    There's already a commuter bus route between OKC/Edmond during rush hours (Edmond CityLink operated route 100x)
    There's not anything to Tinker but they did try it many years ago though it failed due to lack of use (not sure if it's still there, but when I last worked at building 3001 back in 2012, there was a faded Metro Bus sign [so pre-Embark] on the fence by the flagpole so I called them to see what the deal was, how could I take that bus, but they said it was discontinued due to lack of use).

^^^ IIRC, Yukon is now interested and is in talks with the RTA to join. The mayor of Midwest City felt it wasn’t in the city’s best interest at the time and will revisit the idea in the future.

Blog Entries

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeB6rcnrG3N/

Can't believe neither the rapid social or embark social have deets, but both the mayor and James posted pics from the reveal of the BRT bus.

Blog Entries

Thanks didn't see Ben's post

Blog Entries

Transit authority plans to link downtown, Tinker

East route that would link downtown Oklahoma City with Del City and Tinker Air Force Base could likely start with bus rapid transit, with the service to connect either Capitol Hill or the future Okana resort along the Oklahoma River.

The RTA of Central Oklahoma is in negotiations with the BNSF Railway to establish a commuter rail line connecting Edmond, Oklahoma City, Moore and Norman.

There is a funding source in the Biden infrastructure bill: https://www.transit.dot.gov/BIL

Blog Entries

A fast ride between downtown OKC and Tinker eyed as part of Regional Transit Authority

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...se/9894710002/

This is BRT to start with, maybe light rail later.

IMO doing 29th as BRT vs using the existing rail line is great because then you touch Del City as well as MWC. Eastern in the beginning would be better for Okana.

Blog Entries

If we can get the funding worked out; hopefully federal dollars to do both (1 Buses then 2 rail); replace current buses, chart the route to the Capitol Hill area (test ridership demand) as well as the Tinker AFB (Del City to Midwest City route using the 29th Street bus route).

Get the road infrastructure worked out to OKANA, secure those federal funds.

Well, there is that money the state wants to use for the turnpike. That could in theory be spent on turnpike repairs plus rail / brt lines in OKC and Tulsa metro areas...

Blog Entries

Officials with EMBARK and Oklahoma City unveiled the design of RAPID's bus rapid transit vehicle on Thursday.

The first RAPID line is planned to have 32 stops and stretch 9.5 miles each way and will integrate with the larger EMBARK transit network.--KOKH 25 Oklahoma City.

15. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

looks no different from an existing Embark bus other than the paint and logo. ..

Way to go there. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

[QUOTE=HOT ROD;1204952]looks no different from an existing Embark bus other than the paint and logo. ..

Way to go there. ..[/QUOTE
    Why would you want them to look substantially different?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    looks no different from an existing Embark bus other than the paint and logo. ..

Way to go there. ..
    Why would you want them to look substantially different?
    Keep some confused riders from getting on the wrong bus.

Way to go there. ..
    Is it usual to have different types of buses on BRT routes? This makes sense in my mind to keep maintenance costs in check by having the same type of bus throughout the fleet. I like the BRT color scheme over the regular Embark scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Is it usual to have different types of buses on BRT routes? This makes sense in my mind to keep maintenance costs in check by having the same type of bus throughout the fleet. I like the BRT color scheme over the regular Embark scheme.
    actual BRT (which OKC's is not) sometimes has larger capacity busses ..

https://www.denvergov.org/files/asse...g-brt-2021.jpg

what BRT is

20. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

In many cities the buses used for BRTs are articulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    In many cities the buses used for BRTs are articulated.
    And have dedicated lanes, and signal priority/grade separation at intersections, and 5-8 minute headways, and straight direct paths, but yeah other than all of that. . .

22. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Yeah, I was just responding to the question specifically asking if most BRTs used specialized equipment

Just thought I would drop in to say, "GO BRT!" And also, "F having one single penny of infrastructure spending going to the turnpike."

OKC is better off served by freeways than mass transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    OKC is better off served by freeways than mass transit.
    We already have plenty of freeways. Your comment is devoid of context and borderline asinine.

Thread Information