Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - December 2018

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - December 2018

As baralheia mentioned, nice to get a 1"+ drink to a majority of the state in winter. We are keeping the drought at bay nicely right now when winter is usually the time it gains a lot of traction.

Storms lining up out in the Pacific this week. Impacts will be felt across much of the US during Christmas week. Will update more as we get closer.

7-day QPF (as of 10:15 am on Friday) is trending up for over an inch of rain for the metro... we'll see what happens.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p168i.gif?1545408733

Big time rain for the western 2/3 of OK the day after Christmas.

After that there appears to be a follow-up system that will swing through around New Years weekend. Right now models are all over the place with track, but it appears cold air will be in the area, regardless of precipitation.

5. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - December 2018

Back just a little bit was a discussion of hating on or not hating on our TV meteorologists. I just saw a David Payne teaser for tonight’s news where he said “Major storm coming in Wednesday and Thursday. Will it be rain or snow?”. There is virtually zero chance of it being snow so why even mention it? This is what I have against TV meteorologists. They are more about TV and less about weather.

Could see over an inch of rain for a solid chunk of the state Wednesday.

Gorgeous night right now. Went for a walk and it feels like March outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Back just a little bit was a discussion of hating on or not hating on our TV meteorologists. I just saw a David Payne teaser for tonight’s news where he said “Major storm coming in Wednesday and Thursday. Will it be rain or snow?”. There is virtually zero chance of it being snow so why even mention it? This is what I have against TV meteorologists. They are more about TV and less about weather.
    Well the current forecast has the possibility of snow Friday night into Saturday, and your virtually zero chance is listed at 30%.

9. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - December 2018

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Well the current forecast has the possibility of snow Friday night into Saturday, and your virtually zero chance is listed at 30%.
    I said the storm system of today and tomorrow. Not a word about Saturday.

With the way the radar is panning out. We will likely see some flooding advisories coming out for the I-44 corridor in C and SW OK early this afternoon.

Midwest City, again, is getting shafted. MWC could burn while the rest of the state floods (I'm just being serious).

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Midwest City, again, is getting shafted. MWC could burn while the rest of the state floods (I'm just being serious).
    One can only hope

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    With the way the radar is panning out. We will likely see some flooding advisories coming out for the I-44 corridor in C and SW OK early this afternoon.
    My backyard in Mustang has already issued a flood advisory. Neighbor's yard issued a flood warning.

If it was 28 degrees today wonder how many inches of snow we would get lol

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    If it was 28 degrees today wonder how many inches of snow we would get lol
    It would be the biggest snowfall in OKC history if you took a classic 1:10 liquid:snow ratio. But, you normally do not get this type of convective development or moisture quality with winter storms. One of the reasons thundersnow is extremely rare.

Give it more time. Stillwater has just gone over an inch. Some places are headed for over 3 in.

Really nice rainfall for the vast majority of the state today. Days like today will do a lot in terms of preventing another terrible fire season like we had last spring, so hopefully we'll get a few more in the first quarter of 2019.

What a fantastic drink of rain for pretty much the entire state. Most of the state saw an inch or more of precipitation, with the OKC Metro picking up about 2½" of rain. That should hopefully put a decent dent in the slight drought conditions we've got going right now across the northern half of the state. Especially if we have a decently wet spring, this looks promising for putting a damper on wildfire potential and for keeping us from falling into another prolonged drought.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    What a fantastic drink of rain for pretty much the entire state. Most of the state saw an inch or more of precipitation, with the OKC Metro picking up about 2½" of rain. That should hopefully put a decent dent in the slight drought conditions we've got going right now across the northern half of the state. Especially if we have a decently wet spring, this looks promising for putting a damper on wildfire potential and for keeping us from falling into another prolonged drought.

I noticed that there was one glaring hole in all those shades of green... somehow, although most of the metro got 2+ inches, Midwest City got "shafted"...

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    I noticed that there was one glaring hole in all those shades of green... somehow, although most of the metro got 2+ inches, Midwest City got "shafted"...
    Now, in all fairness, at that point in the day (1:45pm) barely over half an inch had fallen in the area - at least according to mesonet sites at NE 4th and I-35 (OKC East) and near NE 71st and Spencer Rd (Spencer). The bulk of the rain that both sites saw came between 3pm and 8pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    I live in MWC near S.E 15th & Sooner Rd and my digital gauge shows 2.87 inches of rainfall from this storm system

22. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - December 2018

So far GFS and NAM are showing Saturday as being almost nothing for most of Oklahoma. Central Oklahoma somewhere between 0 and .1 inch of precipitation.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Now, in all fairness, at that point in the day (1:45pm) barely over half an inch had fallen in the area - at least according to mesonet sites at NE 4th and I-35 (OKC East) and near NE 71st and Spencer Rd (Spencer). The bulk of the rain that both sites saw came between 3pm and 8pm.
    Listening to the previous commenter, you would have thought that MWC was in the worst drought in the world when the records certainly don't reflect that... at... all. Thus the sarcasm.

Cold weekend on tap. Small chance of some glancing rain Sunday evening, but mostly confined to E OK. Monday we will warm up to upper 40s before arctic air blasts in just in time for New Years where midnight will likely be in the 20s with a decent north wind.

Looking ahead, next precipitation activity appears to be around the January 7th timeframe.

Here in Newcastle, we had 3 and 7/10 inches of rain on Wednesday, the 26th. A lot of rain!!

Thread Information