Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Default 2019 Legislative Season

Similar to the 2018 thread, Id figure another one that keeps track of some small stuff that might not warrant its own thread.

Ill start this one off by posting this article how the lawmakers are already talking about tax cuts again.

https://newsok.com/article/5616105/b...auto-sales-tax

Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

More of the same. That's what this state overwhelmingly voted for this year.

The State overwhelmingly rejected anti-tax wackos in the primary last year--or they chose not to run. If these guys are running for office so they can serve one term, power to 'em I guess.

Last spring this site along with many other local websites were all about the teachers and how many were running and going to win to change the way things were done over on Lincoln.

How many teachers actually won and are now part of the legislature?

Probably the most telling number would be that out of the 19 Republicans who voted against the teacher pay increase/tax increase in the House, 9 lost their seats to primary challengers, all of who were endorsed by teachers or were teachers, and 7 chose not to run again. Only 4 will be seated this next session. There was a very real consequence to being anti-teacher and the teachers are just getting more and more mobilized.

And the Canadian County GOP has embraced a stance that paying property taxes for schools is basically robbing us of freedom...

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    And the Canadian County GOP has embraced a stance that paying property taxes for schools is basically robbing us of freedom...
    More of that please.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Probably the most telling number would be that out of the 19 Republicans who voted against the teacher pay increase/tax increase in the House, 9 lost their seats to primary challengers, all of who were endorsed by teachers or were teachers, and 7 chose not to run again. Only 4 will be seated this next session. There was a very real consequence to being anti-teacher and the teachers are just getting more and more mobilized.
    I was actually just looking for the actual number. By your response just a guess that the number is actually low then.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    I was actually just looking for the actual number. By your response just a guess that the number is actually low then.
    There are almost three times as many teachers now than there were last session, according to this article:

The Oklahoma Education Association said that 16 members of its education caucus -- current or former educators, administrators and support staff -- were elected to the state House and Senate. Nine are Republicans and seven are Democrats.

The list includes a physical education teacher, a retired school counselor, a junior high principal and an elementary school music teacher.

The winners were among 65 Oklahoma educators who ran for office on Tuesday, according to the teachers union.

Six other educators were elected during the primary, runoff or by acclamation.

Tuesday's vote grew the education caucus in the Legislature from nine to 25 members.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/07/polit...rnd/index.html
    Did any teachers not affiliated with the OEA also win?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding who was actually endorsed by various groups. You can still find the Teacher Walkout Voter Guide, 42 pages. Good luck deciphering it. A recent CNN article claims 16 new teachers, former teachers, administrators or support staff were elected bringing the total in the House and Senate to 25. I do know these groups endorsed a lot of candidates who weren't teachers. McCall and Echols, for example, both received endorsements from the Oklahoma Parents and Educators for Public Education, which had a committee which reviewed all of those candidates' education votes as well as behind the scenes work, and endorsed accordingly, awarding them "Apples." Many races included both the Democrat and Republican being endorsed. Off the top of my head, Robert Manger wasn't a former educator or any of that, but was endorsed as pro-education.

I think we'll wait until we start seeing votes to reduce taxes or increase revenue to know who the friends of education are. What I think we learned last election is that most Republican voters are pro-education and will support education so long as that doesn't require them to vote for a Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    Did any teachers not affiliated with the OEA also win?
    I don't know. Here's a list of OEA endorsed candidates.

http://okea.org/oea-blog/the-2018-education-caucus

I'm not sure what you mean by "affiliated," as there are many districts which have their own unions or are otherwise unaffiliated with the OEA. There are also many teachers in OEA districts who do not pay dues.

I don't know. Here's a list of OEA endorsed candidates.

http://okea.org/oea-blog/the-2018-education-caucus

I'm not sure what you mean by "affiliated," as there are many districts which have their own unions or are otherwise unaffiliated with the OEA. There are also many teachers in OEA districts who do not pay dues.
    Whether or not those other teachers are counted in the 25 members of the education caucus cited in the article. There is a anti-union lobbying group, the Professional Oklahoma Educators. Did they have any members run and win?

The question was how many teachers now in the legislature. Non-teacher candidates that are pro-education also did well on election day, which is great. Let's hope they can make a difference.

I wouldn’t look to CNN for wonky accuracy covering the so called teacher caucus. That said, the union and non union teachers have solidarity regarding pro education issues. If a so called education group is pushing vouchers, they probably aren’t Oklahoma educators or they may be private or sectarian teachers.

16 educators, administrators or former educators were elected, bringing the total number to 25 in the House and Senate. There are more , I believe, who were endorsed by pro-education groups, who weren't former educators. Charles McCall and Jon Echols were both endorsed by major education groups. Kannady was another one, so if you think the only pro-education folks are the so-called education caucus, that would be wrong. Everyone in the House save 19 voted to increase taxes with HB1010xx. Only 4 of those are still around. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    i love this part

“Any federal statute, regulation, executive order or court decision which purports to supersede, stay or overrule this Act is in violation of the Constitution of the State of Oklahoma and the Constitution of the United States of America and is therefore void,” the bill states.

The bill further proclaims itself to be “irreversible,” should it be passed and signed into law.
    lol... that's now how it works... but clever try...

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i love this part

lol... that's now how it works... but clever try...
    It's blatantly unconstitutional but I think that's the point. He's hoping this law will be the one that goes to SCOTUS and leads to the reversal of Roe v Wade. And their true intention really shows in this bill and the one in Ohio. They cannot just ban abortion; they have to punish women for seeking an abortion. The one in Ohio makes it a capital crime while this one just sets the penalty of life in prison. Why? It's not about the babies and never has been. It's about enforcing patriarchal order and punishing women for having sex out of wedlock.

Given the current rage and empowerment among the state's religious right I think this is going to be a long year for anyone who values secular government and personal freedom.

It's blatantly unconstitutional but I think that's the point. He's hoping this law will be the one that goes to SCOTUS and leads to the reversal of Roe v Wade. And their true intention really shows in this bill and the one in Ohio. They cannot just ban abortion; they have to punish women for seeking an abortion. The one in Ohio makes it a capital crime while this one just sets the penalty of life in prison. Why? It's not about the babies and never has been. It's about enforcing patriarchal order and punishing women for having sex out of wedlock.

Given the current rage and empowerment among the state's religious right I think this is going to be a long year for anyone who values secular government and personal freedom.
    the problem is that it has to get to federal court to do that... this won't make it past the Oklahoma Supreme Court... just that part that tires to make it to where it can't be overturned is unconstitutional... a court doesn't even have to rule on the abortion part of the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    the problem is that it has to get to federal court to do that... this won't make it past the Oklahoma Supreme Court... just that part that tires to make it to where it can't be overturned is unconstitutional... a court doesn't even have to rule on the abortion part of the bill.
    I think they tried a similar bill in 2016 to ban gay marriage after the Obergefell decision. That one didn't end up passing.

20. Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

Really hope Silk's time is up soon, he's one of the worst ones (along with Dahm)....

I thought Dahm didn't seek reelection?

It's not about the babies and never has been. It's about enforcing patriarchal order and punishing women for having sex out of wedlock.
    That's not true. I don't like abortions, but I do like women who have sex out of wedlock.

23. Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

I thought Dahm didn't seek reelection?
    I didn't keep track of him, strangely enough, but he's still around. From a newsok.com story:

Senate Bill 12 by state Sen. Nathan Dahm, R-Broken Arrow, would allow people to carry guns on their person regardless of whether it is concealed or plainly visible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I didn't keep track of him, strangely enough, but he's still around. From a newsok.com story:

Senate Bill 12 by state Sen. Nathan Dahm, R-Broken Arrow, would allow people to carry guns on their person regardless of whether it is concealed or plainly visible.
    Dahm ran for Congress 1st District, but only came in 4th. He won't need to run for reelection for state senator until 2020. Dahm was the one who wanted a special session to overturn Gov. Fallin's veto on constitutional carry, abortion and other vetoes. Gov. Fallin didn't want to see that happen, so speculation has it that was a major reason why she didn't want any special session over medical marijuana. Dahm's service as state senator didn't help him in his attempt to be elected as Congressman.

Except for cops or security, not very comfortable about anybody having guns in a public gathering place. There is risk of getting caught up in the crossfire when an armed good guy is trying to protect himself from a bad guy firing. Of course, supporters will say armed bad guys must be defended against with gunfire. Police can't be everywhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    That's not true. I don't like abortions, but I do like women who have sex out of wedlock.
    Ain't it great how those male Republican legislators let guys indulge in all the unprotected sexual intercourse they want but they're not to be charged with anything should any abortion take place? I wonder if most women agree that is the way it should be.

Thread Information