Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

Wait, what? Amazon has set their own minimum wage. This isnt because of any state's requirement, just Amazons. And the cut in hours was from the "guidance of our regional team." How does that prove anything? Swing and a miss on this one.

But Im not arguing there might be a few negative affects when you DOUBLE the minimum wage. Thats a big increase. An increase to the $9 range in Oklahoma would be almost unnoticeable, except to those who work at, below, or near minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I've always wondered how a raise in minimum wage results in a business requiring less labor to get the job done. Logically either the story was over manning prior or the rise in the minimum wage caused a decline in business or the rise resulted in an increase in productivity. First one is bad management, the second is highly unlikely and third is a good thing.
    Economics 101

To cover added labor costs they have a few choices:

1. Raise sales prices to offset higher labor
    2. Cut staff hours to keep prices same
    3. Cut staff people to keep prices same

Those are your only options. A business has certain margins and food industry both eating and selling have very small profit margins. If they did none of the above eventually they go out of business.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but I'm very glad to see this.

https://newsok.com/article/5625011/b...klahoma-senate

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Economics 101

Those are your only options. A business has certain margins and food industry both eating and selling have very small profit margins. If they did none of the above eventually they go out of business.
    That's more like Fox Economics 101 but eh I support your right to choose what you want to believe. PRO CHOICE!!!
    Don't hassle me, I'm local.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I've always wondered how a raise in minimum wage results in a business requiring less labor to get the job done. Logically either the story was over manning prior or the rise in the minimum wage caused a decline in business or the rise resulted in an increase in productivity. First one is bad management, the second is highly unlikely and third is a good thing.
    The level of customer service a company provides is not a right or wrong answer type of thing. It can be adjusted, to varying degrees of detriment, but maybe the savings out pace the cost.

Status of legislation as of March 4.
    https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loca...ade0cd.html#19

Thank you for posting that. It is amazing how much better Tulsa World seems to be than The Oklahoman. Hopefully that changes soon.

For better or worse, it looks like nearly every bill that would have increased investment in some form or another in our states education either was voted down or didn't get heard. Why is this state so anti-education?

We have a bill that the committee heard that makes a steak an official food or something for the state of Oklahoma, yet several bills related to education weren't even heard. Let that sink in.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Economics 101

If the business is not already charging the maximum they think someone will pay for the product or service and staffing at appropriate levels for the business to work, then they're doing something wrong irrespective of the wage of the employee. Many times, businesses aren't able to pass on costs, so you're leaving off option 4--pay fewer dividends to shareholders. Or option 5--cut executive pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    For better or worse, it looks like nearly every bill that would have increased investment in some form or another in our states education either was voted down or didn't get heard. Why is this state so anti-education?

We have a bill that the committee heard that makes a steak an official food or something for the state of Oklahoma, yet several bills related to education weren't even heard. Let that sink in.
    It makes sense. If any of those measures result in any sort of tax increase many of legislators have signed the "never raise taxes" pledge.

Blog Entries

Abortion is a more important issue to agonize over than education. Guns rival abortion as among the most important issues to worry about. Steak is almost too easy of an issue, but why not go for the easiest ones? At last, being anti-gay isn't important enough to worry about in the legislature this year.

To me, restoring funding cuts to the various state agencies is the most important issue. Depending on where you live, roads in this state suck even worse than usual. To name specifically where I know first hand where it's bad, Highway 51 from Highway 18 east to Highway 48 or in other words, roughly from Yale to Mannford.

^^^^ +1

A new bill is proposed that would prohibit cities from prohibiting plastic bag use. More displays of freedoms for cities to decide for themselves what they can do from the state government of Oklahoma.

https://kfor.com/2019/03/11/bill-tha...-to-the-house/

PS, I am against California mandating the ban against plastic bags or straws as I think cities should decide for themselves if that's the route they want to take. I don't use plastic bags and prefer paper straws, but again, I am against the state trying to control that. Oklahoma is the complete opposite of this though roughly the same idea as they are trying to control what an individual city can do. Much like cities protecting LGTBQ communities or installing a minimum wage increase more than the state; Oklahoma seems to have a lot in common with California as crazy as that may sound.

A new bill is proposed that would prohibit cities from prohibiting plastic bag use. More displays of freedoms for cities to decide for themselves what they can do from the state government of Oklahoma.

https://kfor.com/2019/03/11/bill-tha...-to-the-house/

PS, I am against California mandating the ban against plastic bags or straws as I think cities should decide for themselves if that's the route they want to take. I don't use plastic bags and prefer paper straws, but again, I am against the state trying to control that. Oklahoma is the complete opposite of this though roughly the same idea as they are trying to control what an individual city can do. Much like cities protecting LGTBQ communities or installing a minimum wage increase more than the state; Oklahoma seems to have a lot in common with California as crazy as that may sound.
    ugh... this is a terrible idea that sadly will pass easily... this is absolutely a cities right to choose, because i city is responsible for sanitation and recycling... so unless the state is going to take on those responsibilities... they do not have a vested interest in this. just like i said over on the national political landscape thread... i am sick and tired of my party being in favor of as little government as possible and not getting involved where it doesn't belong, unless it's to get involved where it doesn't belong in order to stop something it doesn't agree with at the time...

15. Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    ugh... this is a terrible idea that sadly will pass easily... this is absolutely a cities right to choose, because i city is responsible for sanitation and recycling... so unless the state is going to take on those responsibilities... they do not have a vested interest in this. just like i said over on the national political landscape thread... i am sick and tired of my party being in favor of as little government as possible and not getting involved where it doesn't belong, unless it's to get involved where it doesn't belong in order to stop something it doesn't agree with at the time...
    Of course it will pass easily, OK is not a home rule state, therefore the state can stomp all over whatever cities want to do if the cities' wishes are opposed to the state's. Wish that wasn't the case, but it is and will likely never change.

16. Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

http://www.news9.com/story/40275222/...opypaste-bills

"A two-year investigation shows Oklahoma lawmakers filed more than 400 bills that were either modeled off of or directly copied from bills written by special interest groups, designed to benefit companies rather than voters.

The investigation was done by USA Today, The Center for Public Integrity and The Arizona Republic.

Oklahoma was fifth highest in the country for copy and paste bills filed. When it came to passing those bills Oklahoma ranked third, after Illinios and Arizona, respectively

Earlier this year a News9/Newson6 investigation into copy-paste bills asked lawmakers whether they'd favor of disclosing who wrote their bills to the public. The majority of lawmakers never answered.

Last year, a bill was authored by Rep. Colin Walke (D-OKC) to require lawmakers to show who wrote the bills and required they attach their names, but it was never heard. Walke recently said he would be running the legislation again."

Glad I live in Walke's district, he's one of the good ones...

https://www.news9.com/story/40287366...ld-fine-trains

The bill fining train companies for causing delays was killed by the senate. But don’t worry, these guys will protect from the evil cities making decisions whether to ban plastic bags or not because they really care about your freedoms.

18. Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

https://www.news9.com/story/40287366...ld-fine-trains

The bill fining train companies for causing delays was killed by the senate. But don’t worry, these guys will protect from the evil cities making decisions whether to ban plastic bags or not because they really care about your freedoms.
    TBH, the train company bill wouldn't have ever held up - railroads do what they want, when they want, and nobody has ever been very successful in doing something against them. As far as the plastic bags, that's just one more example of OK not being a home rule state (as I've pointed out many times) - if the state doesn't want a municipality doing something, they can ban that municipality from doing it, and it's perfectly legal, it's not cool, but it's legal.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    TBH, the train company bill wouldn't have ever held up - railroads do what they want, when they want, and nobody has ever been very successful in doing something against them. As far as the plastic bags, that's just one more example of OK not being a home rule state (as I've pointed out many times) - if the state doesn't want a municipality doing something, they can ban that municipality from doing it, and it's perfectly legal, it's not cool, but it's legal.
    I’m not sure why the train bill would not have held up but they could have tried. I will say they need to grade separate more at-grade RR crossings in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Technically, it's not even about banning a municipality really (except for preemptive clarification). From what I understand municipality's only have those powers explicitly granted to them by the state. So like with the Medical Marijuana stuff, the state laws state what cities and counties can do in terms of regulation, etc. But anything beyond those powers explicitly granted to them, and they can end up in court.

21. Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Technically, it's not even about banning a municipality really (except for preemptive clarification). From what I understand municipality's only have those powers explicitly granted to them by the state. So like with the Medical Marijuana stuff, the state laws state what cities and counties can do in terms of regulation, etc. But anything beyond those powers explicitly granted to them, and they can end up in court.
    Yes, that's actually more accurate than what I said, thanks.

Will this be something we see more of once constitutional carry law starts later this year? What parent doesnt want to see someone armed with a handgun AND an AR at their local park?

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loca...8642ed5d4.html

23. Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Will this be something we see more of once constitutional carry law starts later this year? What parent doesnt want to see someone armed with a handgun AND an AR at their local park?

Of course we'll see more of it. Sadly, I have to say this - if he was black, he would've been dead about 3 times over instead of just pepperballed and arrested.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post

It's unfortunate how many supporters of the 2nd Amendment think the part of it that goes, "a well regulated militia" means nothing of importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    It's unfortunate how many supporters of the 2nd Amendment think the part of it that goes, "a well regulated militia" means nothing of importance.
    It's important, but not the operative clause, as some anti-2A folks seem to want to hang on to.

Thread Information