Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Well that's just... flat out untrue. And this is why we can't have nice things.
    I have no idea if Stitt supports this bill, but it has been proposed. The bill is pretty fascist and very anti-1st Amendment. At this point the blame falls with a certain Republican State Senator Mark Allen of Spiro. We will see what Stitt does.

https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/pos...oduced-capitol

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I have no idea if Stitt supports this bill, but it has been proposed. The bill is pretty fascist and very anti-1st Amendment. At this point the blame falls with a certain Republican State Senator Mark Allen of Spiro. We will see what Stitt does.

https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/pos...oduced-capitol
    Correct, but it has nothing to do with Stitt at this point (and probably never will). These type of reactions (blaming the governor when some random legislator proposes something) re-enforces why folks need to go watch some more schoolhouse rock.

Regardless, to say flat out that the governor's first order of business has been to suppress the right to assemble and to dismantle 788 is absolutely false (and slanderous). It paints an completely false picture, and it's the type of ridiculous statement based on (not even) half truths that I'm used to seeing on social media and reddit. It's very unproductive to any civil discourse. We saw tons of this over the past 8 years. Evidently it's going to continue.

Correct, but it has nothing to do with Stitt at this point. These type of reactions (blaming the governor when some random legislator proposes something) re-enforces why folks need to go watch some more schoolhouse rock.
    it's just a bill... yes it's only a bill... and our State legislature keeps doing dumb things and the people have had their fill...

Correct, but it has nothing to do with Stitt at this point (and probably never will). These type of reactions (blaming the governor when some random legislator proposes something) re-enforces why folks need to go watch some more schoolhouse rock.

Regardless, to say flat out that the governor's first order of business has been to suppress the right to assemble and to dismantle 788 is absolutely false (and slanderous). It paints an completely false picture, and it's the type of ridiculous statement based on (not even) half truths that I'm used to seeing on social media and reddit. It's very unproductive to any civil discourse. We saw tons of this over the past 8 years. Evidently it's going to continue.
    Until a liberal candidate gets elected, our resident GOP bashers will always lump all of them together, and make very rash generalizations (not all Dems are like that, but the ones who post constantly in this forum are who I am referring to - they know who they are). They have all the right to say it, and I occasionally agree. But it bugs me that they, rather than trying to have good discourse on a subject, resort to religion-shaming.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    it's just a bill... yes it's only a bill... and our State legislature keeps doing dumb things and the people have had their fill...
    There was a quote from the majority leader last year, I believe, I wish I could find, in an interview. He was lamenting on some of the embarrassing bills that get proposed (my words, not his), and that they can't really control what some representative from a random small district throws at the wall. Most of the worst ones never get heard or die in committee. Other bad ones do get through, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It's Oklahoma. This state doesn't know how to do anything but take away people's rights and ram an authoritarian religious agenda down everyone's throat. The new governorís first order of business is to go after Oklahomansí First Amendment right to protest peacefully and to try to weaken or dismantle SQ788. And most people support it simply because they are against gay marriage and want to control women's reproductive choices. I'm so sick of it.
    The governor has nothing to do with that bill, which will never even reach the floor. You have an uneducated view of how the politics of this state works. Whatever allows you to throw a tantrum, though, I guess.

I'm reminded of the people blaming gerrymandering for the results of the gubernatorial election.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    The governor has nothing to do with that bill, which will never even reach the floor. You have an uneducated view of how the politics of this state works. Whatever allows you to throw a tantrum, though, I guess.
    How exactly is his view of Oklahoma uneducated and what makes yours educated? I highly suspect you wonít answer those questions.

How is he wrong? Is the governor not the leader of the state? He should be publicly condemning such bills. Regardless, whether the bill makes it to the floor or not, itís shameful that we have elected officials that even propose such nonsense.

It’s also wrong to assume that the Governor has nothing at all to do with all bills that are introduced. I’m sure the vast majority are independent actions by the representatives and senators. But the governor also has a legislative agenda and uses individual legislators to introduce “his” preferred legislation. It’s done at the national level as well.

That doesn’t mean the anti-protest bill has anything to do with him, but he would have the power of getting it introduced if he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    How exactly is his view of Oklahoma uneducated and what makes yours educated? I highly suspect you won’t answer those questions.

How is he wrong? Is the governor not the leader of the state? He should be publicly condemning such bills. Regardless as the whether it makes to the floor or not, it’s shameful that we have elected officials that even propose such nonsense.
    When do governors ever publicly condemn any bills put forth by the senate? I rarely, if ever, see that.

** EDIT **

Actually, never mind. Some people...

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    When do governors ever publicly condemn any bills put forth by the senate? I rarely, if ever, see that.
    Okay but my point was that he should have condemned this one. Take some leadership and condemn such bills like this. Guide the state in the direction you want it to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Okay but my point was that he should have condemned this one. Take some leadership and condemn such bills like this. Guide the state in the direction you want it to go.
    There would be little use in him burning any bridges at this point. Many of Stitt's supporters agree with these anti-teacher bills. These legislators are in a small minority and will continue to produce bat**** crazy bills that you'll only ever read about in January.

If I ever become a state legislator, I'm going to propose a lot of crazy stuff just to piss people off.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/photovide...ade0cd.html#27

List of many bills filed. I’ll probably go through it and post ones I support.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    If I ever become a state legislator, I'm going to propose a lot of crazy stuff just to piss people off.
    State "Hug a clown" day? Nominate a state snake? Free pickles for all visitors to the Governor's mansion?

These are some of my favorites so far:

Senate Bill 901 by President Pro Tem Greg Treat

The Republican from Oklahoma City would extend to homeless students eligibility for the state’s voucher program for special-needs students.

———

House Bill 1072 by Daniel Pae
    The Republican from Lawton wants to move general elections from Tuesday to Saturday.

———

Senate Bill 102 by George Young
    The measure would increase the minimum wage in Oklahoma to $10.50 per hour. It is currently $7.25.

———

House Bill 1071 by Daniel Pae
    A Lawton representative wants to allow for 80 mph speed limits on toll roads that are outside the city limits of a municipality.

———

Senate Bill 206 by Mary Boren
    A Norman Democrat's bill would increase from $55 to $200 the state’s per-pupil spending for textbooks and other instructional materials. A similar bill in the House (HB 1036 by Johnny Tadlock) would increase the amount by $50.

———

Senate Bill 96 by Darrell Weaver
    The measure by the Republican from Moore would expand Oklahoma’s hate crime statute to include actions against law enforcement officers due to their job.

———

House Bill 1117 by Kevin West
    The measure would exempt Oklahoma from daylight saving time.

———

Senate Bill 282 by Kevin Matthews
    A Tulsa Democrat's bill would let convicted felons become eligible to vote once released from incarceration, rather than when they complete post-prison supervision (probation and parole).

———

Senate Bill 43 by JJ Dossett
    Ashley Kirby Mackenzie (left), a librarian with Union Public Schools, talks with a parent and student. An Owasso Democrat and former teacher has introduced a bill that would give public school support employees a $1,500 raise next year and the year after, a $2,000 increase in 2021-22

———

Im generally supportive of pro gun bills and there are several other bills I support but the ones I listed in more enthusiastic about. I also am on the fence about the proposed marijuana rules that allow county by county options. I would be more supportive of that if we were dealing with recreational in the same way I agree with letting counties decide whether or not they want to allow alcohol use which is a drug. But perhaps marijuana has some medicinal benefits though I don’t know if any are FDA approved.

The bills I am strictly against are the ones against abortion(I don’t agree with it but I feel it isn’t anyone’s choice to make except the mothers), withholding teacher pay if they strike or protest, repealing car tax(OKLAHOMA DO YOU EVER LEARN???!!!) and SB-40. Again there are others I don’t support but these are the main ones I’m against.

State "Hug a clown" day? Nominate a state snake? Free pickles for all visitors to the Governor's mansion?
    i don't know about a state snake... but our official State Reptile is the Collared Lizard

While there are always multiple crazy stupid bills that are filed every January, and that nearly all of them wont see the light of day, that doesnt mean we shouldnt completely ridicule the bill and elected official who authored it immediately. Would rather call a dumb spade a dumb spade from the start, rather than let it get any traction at the capitol. But lets just limit it to the author and not the party as a whole or the Gov.

We can't call it a spade anymore, but I think shovel is still safe. But yes, I agree.

Death penalty for people who don't go when the light turns green.

"He Was Asking For It" addition to self-defense law.

Reinstate the concept of the Dowry.

State funded firearm training courses for toddlers.

Things like that.

Before anyone comes out and think's Oklahoma is the only state where stupid bills are introduced into the process, think twice. My wife volunteers for a legislator in Colorado and brings home info on some of the stupid things they introduce here. They may not be stupid right wing things, but they are stupid nonetheless. Just as most of them will in OK, they will get killed either by sending them to the committee where bills go to die or just won't be considered at all. It actually takes quite a bit more than most people realize to get a bill as far as a vote.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Before anyone comes out and think's Oklahoma is the only state where stupid bills are introduced into the process, think twice. My wife volunteers for a legislator in Colorado and brings home info on some of the stupid things they introduce here. They may not be stupid right wing things, but they are stupid nonetheless. Just as most of them will in OK, they will get killed either by sending them to the committee where bills go to die or just won't be considered at all. It actually takes quite a bit more than most people realize to get a bill as far as a vote.
    I can ju$t imagine how much it take$ to pu$h bill$ through to committee. Ju$t depend$ on how many friend$ you have too.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I can ju$t imagine how much it take$ to pu$h bill$ through to committee. Ju$t depend$ on how many friend$ you have too.
    They often depend on who is most influenced by lobbying or who has given support to another bill in exchange for a third bill, etc. Political donations, sure. Actual hand greasing, not so much. This isn't all of it though. I'm sure all states have the committee where nothing ever leaves, it's also getting ENOUGH support, getting your bill by competing bills, just getting the attention of those to do the work.

Thread Information