Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Dahm ran for Congress 1st District, but only came in 4th. He won't need to run for reelection for state senator until 2020. Dahm was the one who wanted a special session to overturn Gov. Fallin's veto on constitutional carry, abortion and other vetoes. Gov. Fallin didn't want to see that happen, so speculation has it that was a major reason why she didn't want any special session over medical marijuana. Dahm's service as state senator didn't help him in his attempt to be elected as Congressman.

Except for cops or security, not very comfortable about anybody having guns in a public gathering place. There is risk of getting caught up in the crossfire when an armed good guy is trying to protect himself from a bad guy firing. Of course, supporters will say armed bad guys must be defended against with gunfire. Police can't be everywhere.
    Yes Dahm ran for US House and got rightly rejected. So now we still get to deal with his buffoonery at the state capitol.

You mention cops, several law enforcement agencies actually came out against this "constitutional carry" bill. Probably has to do with the fact that someone can have zero training or experience with guns yet can carry it down Main St. This is a bill that most gun loving folks arent in support of.

This is Arkansas, but the organization this lawmaker is forming is national and given the current political and religious climate in our state and country, this will likely be a big deal for Oklahoma politics.

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlo...tian-lawmakers

3. Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This is Arkansas, but the organization this lawmaker is forming is national and given the current political and religious climate in our state and country, this will likely be a big deal for Oklahoma politics.

https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlo...tian-lawmakers
    Witches? Really? Bet he still gets about 50% of OK lawmakers, though...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Witches? Really? Bet he still gets about 50% of OK lawmakers, though...
    50% is probably about right. This quote pretty much sums up what their priorities are.

"The goal is for lawmakers to come together in support of clear Biblical principles and do our best to ensure that our nation lives up to our national motto "In God We Trust". There are two central issues burdening our nation at this time that must be addressed by lawmakers to restore the honor of God in our country - abortion and same-sex marriage clearly violate Biblical principles."

Blog Entries

50% is probably about right. This quote pretty much sums up what their priorities are.

"The goal is for lawmakers to come together in support of clear Biblical principles and do our best to ensure that our nation lives up to our national motto "In God We Trust". There are two central issues burdening our nation at this time that must be addressed by lawmakers to restore the honor of God in our country - abortion and same-sex marriage clearly violate Biblical principles."
    LOL, Trump, the Great Sinner, might as well keep up his adultery and other sins not related to abortion and homosexuality. His Godly supporters don't consider his sins as central issues to deal with to restore honor to God.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    While I may not agree with the method of getting to that end game, I do think that OK has way too many school districts. No need for there to be 500+ school districts in this state.

Yeah hopefully something is done about it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    While I may not agree with the method of getting to that end game, I do think that OK has way too many school districts. No need for there to be 500+ school districts in this state.
    If we moved all administrative funding in Oklahoma into classroom instruction, our rank would not improve by one according to the Oklahoma Policy Institute. Here are those numbers:

https://okpolicy.org/two-big-myths-d...unding-debate/

The 'too many school districts' argument ignores the fact that forced consolidation is politically untenable due to the overwhelmingly rural nature of our legislature; and that it is really such a small issue compared to the lack of revenue, that it shouldn't be the thing which holds up everything else. Republicans, for years, have delayed improving education by each session letting increased funding die on the hill of forced school district consolidation. How many times do we keep falling for that ruse?

Blog Entries

It would seem several small neighboring school districts combining into one would be a good way for them to have extra money, and it wouldn't be a very trivial amount.

Or just increase efficiency. We don’t need 500 school districts. Are there states that are models for education and have as many districts as Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Or just increase efficiency. We donít need 500 school districts. Are there states that are models for education and have as many districts as Oklahoma?
    Wisconsin has a similar number and they're frequently cited as a top ten state for education. New Jersey has more but they serve more students. I think administration is more a result of either the size of the state and/or the student population than some magical number associated with efficiency. In the end Midtowner mentions the biggest key point in that even if you eliminated all administration expense and applied it to the classroom, it wouldn't move the needle much at all. It'd be like having a $20,000,000 debt at the bank but if you limit yourself to only visiting one location out of their fifty for your transactions they'll refund you 50Ę on your annual interest paid.

Storage is getting cheaper by the year...

Proposed bill to make a group of 100 or more protestors pay a 50,000 dollar bond in order to be at the state capital

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news...rWQ3k_8TvwJorI

Wouldnít want to have teachers bug you again this year...

It's Oklahoma. This state doesn't know how to do anything but take away people's rights and ram an authoritarian religious agenda down everyone's throat. The new governor’s first order of business is to go after Oklahomans’ First Amendment right to protest peacefully and to try to weaken or dismantle SQ788. And most people support it simply because they are against gay marriage and want to control women's reproductive choices. I'm so sick of it.

^^^^ you’re spot on with that. So sad that the state always seems to take one step forward and two steps back. Par for the course.

19. Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

It's Oklahoma. This state doesn't know how to do anything but take away people's rights and ram an authoritarian religious agenda down everyone's throat. The new governor’s first order of business is to go after Oklahomans’ First Amendment right to protest peacefully and to try to weaken or dismantle SQ788. And most people support it simply because they are against gay marriage and want to control women's reproductive choices. I'm so sick of it.
    Don't think it was the new governor, those bills most likely got created a while ago, they've been filing bills since December, deadline for them was 1/17. Of course, he may have influenced them, but it's the senators that are filing the bills. Of course, I'm guessing he'll be all for them, that's what Evangelical Republicans do, but to blame him at this point is a bit premature (BTW, not defending him at all, I'm expecting he'll be a failure at moving the state forward and doing good things for the people, 'cos again, that's what Evangelical Republicans do).

Until people start voting for the person and not the party, nothing will change.
    The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

So I take it all Republicans are Evangelicals? Or that one class of Republicans? Because if so, that means the corollary is true, that Satan-worshipers are Democrats? I joke, I joke! But seriously, I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Until people start voting for the person and not the party, nothing will change.
    This

23. Default Re: 2019 Legislative Season

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    So I take it all Republicans are Evangelicals? Or that one class of Republicans? Because if so, that means the corollary is true, that Satan-worshipers are Democrats? I joke, I joke! But seriously, I am curious.
    Go back and read what I posted, never said anything like that. I'm sure Evangelicals belong to all political parties, but I suspect that most Evangelicals are Republicans, and I can give you *tons* of examples of how they think as a bloc and would like the country to be governed. And I suspect Dominionists (such as Stitt, although I haven't confirmed he is one) are classified as Evangelicals. If I'm wrong about Stitt or Dominionists, please correct me.

Edit: Dominionists may not be Evangelicals, but they're very, very closely related, if not an actual subset of Evangelicals. No proof Stitt is a Dominionist, but he hired one as head of his transition team, and I suspect the odds are unbelievably high that a non-Dominionist would hire one as head of his gubernatorial transition team.
    Last edited by TheTravellers; 01-19-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Did some research

I suspect the odds are unbelievably high that a non-Dominionist would hire one as head of his gubernatorial transition team.
    I don't tend to filter my hires based on their religious preferences but that's just me (and the law).

The new governor’s first order of business is to go after Oklahomans’ First Amendment right to protest peacefully and to try to weaken or dismantle SQ788.
    Well that's just... flat out untrue. And this is why we can't have nice things.

Thread Information