Widgets Magazine

Thread: The Auditorium at The Douglass

Northeast OKC The Auditorium at The Douglass

Venue venture
    The Jones Assembly partners will bring Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy to The Auditorium at The Douglass.
    BY JEREMY MARTIN

A partnership between The Jones Assembly and The Auditorium at The Douglass is set to bring Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy to the former high school auditorium in March.

“I’m personally just an enormous Wilco fan, and we’re, of course, always begging for a Wilco show to come to Oklahoma City,” said Graham Colton, a partner at The Jones Assembly. “We were subsequently asked to put on a show for Jeff Tweedy. After some dialogue about the vibe of the event, we at The Jones Assembly had the idea to bring it to The Douglass. Even though we think The Jones would be a great environment also, we just thought it was a very picturesque, intimate space. … This one just felt like a perfect collaboration.”

Tweedy, singer/songwriter for alt-rock act Wilco, is currently touring North America in support of Warm, which will be released Friday.

The Auditorium, 600 N. High Ave., once served as an assembly space for Frederick Douglass High School, an all-black high school opened in 1933, later renamed Page Woodson School. After the school closed in 1994, it sat vacant for nearly 20 years. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2007, and in 2017, 60 apartments were constructed in the former high school. According to a press release from The Social Order, a dining collective that includes The Jones Assembly, recent renovations to the auditorium’s 723-seat performance space include installing a high-fidelity sound system and LED lighting on a stage that once hosted legendary musicians such as Charlie Christian and Duke Ellington as well as Olympic athletes and historic figures including Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall.

Colton said he rediscovered the auditorium when Page Woodson won Urban Land Institute Oklahoma’s Impact Award for Large Scale Rehab and Restoration in 2017, an honor for which The Jones Assembly was also nominated. Hosting Tweedy’s show at the auditorium will offer “a great impression for Oklahoma City as a whole,” he said.

“We have such a respect for that project and what it represents in our community,” Colton said. “It just felt like a really great environment for this type of show — really intimate, all seated. … A place that historic and that beautiful always fills a niche. There’s always a need for an amazing space like that.”

While the concert is scheduled to take place March 1 at the auditorium, Colton said The Jones Assembly will be running the show, so concertgoers can anticipate similar accommodations to those at Jones.

“Guests can really expect the same experience that they get at The Jones Assembly … because we will be operating the entire venue that night,” Colton said. “It’s going to be really cool.”

While no official business partnership between the venues has been announced, Colton said he would like to collaborate to bring similar shows to the auditorium in the future.

“I could see The Jones Assembly doing more things at The Douglass because it’s a little bit of a different flavor,” Colton said. “It’s definitely a great space for the city for different types of acts and music. … Maybe the way to communicate it is The Jones Assembly is excited about the relationship that we’ve formed with the auditorium at The Douglass, and we look forward to bringing more stuff in there. We don’t have a deal in place, and there’s nothing formal, but we definitely support what they’re doing, and we think it’s important for our city to support great projects like Page Woodson and The Auditorium at the Douglass.”

2. Default Re: The Auditorium at The Douglass

You could have waited until after tickets went on sale to post this.... I don't need extra competition to get my tickets!

Default Re: The Auditorium at The Douglass

That auditorium is a such a great facility and really glad it is going to see more use.

The Jones guys are really killing it on the music bookings.

They will be booking the bandshell at Scissortail Park as well as running the adjacent cafe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    You could have waited until after tickets went on sale to post this.... I don't need extra competition to get my tickets!
    I mean, they posted it on insta two hours ago...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqsCPF3ggsV/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That auditorium is a such a great facility and really glad it is going to see more use.

The Jones guys are really killing it on the music bookings.

They will be booking the bandshell at Scissortail Park as well as running the adjacent cafe.
    Absolutely LOVE to hear that they'll be the ones in charge of the amphitheater bookings at Scissortail once it opens. Onwards and upwards for this city's music scene.

6. Default Re: The Auditorium at The Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I mean, they posted it on insta two hours ago...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqsCPF3ggsV/
    Yeah they posted it on FB too.

Earlier today I saw an article which indicated the Tweedy show was going to be at Hardeman Auditorium at Oklahoma Christian University, with a ticket presale this evening (Wednesday) and gen pub tickets on sale on Friday.

https://www.jambase.com/article/jeff...nter-tour-2019

I'm going to assume this information is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
    Earlier today I saw an article which indicated the Tweedy show was going to be at Hardeman Auditorium at Oklahoma Christian University, with a ticket presale this evening (Wednesday) and gen pub tickets on sale on Friday.

https://www.jambase.com/article/jeff...nter-tour-2019

Jones starts selling tickets tomorrow for this date so not sure why this other venue was listed.

No idea. I had to Google the Hardeman Auditorium to find out what it even was.

10. Default Re: The Auditorium at The Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Jones starts selling tickets tomorrow for this date so not sure why this other venue was listed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post

Venue info is incorrect... Pre-sale for tickets started last night at 7:00 PM (I got Row C just right of center). The pre-sale promo code is WARM.

I'm interested to see how long this takes to sell out. With 723 seats, I would think it has a good chance of selling out very quickly.

12. Default Re: The Auditorium at The Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I'm interested to see how long this takes to sell out. With 723 seats, I would think it has a good chance of selling out very quickly.
    I hope it does because bands like Wilco and Son Volt seem to bypass OKC on most of their tours. A sell out of this show, for a pioneer in this genre, might get enough attention to start drawing more acts like this here.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I hope it does because bands like Wilco and Son Volt seem to bypass OKC on most of their tours. A sell out of this show, for a pioneer in this genre, might get enough attention to start drawing more acts like this here.
    It's been since '09 that Wilco's played here (Bricktown Events Center), and '13 for Son Volt (VZD's - moved from the Diamond). Both (Tweedy solo included) have played Tulsa more often and more recently. Son Volt (or was it Jay Farrar?) played a free show in Tulsa a few months ago. I suspect (hope) that this Tweedy show sells out.

14. Default Re: The Auditorium at The Douglass

I saw Son Volt around 98 in the Will Rogers Theatre.... Don't know how many that venue holds (held) but it was a sold out show.

Thread Information