Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK Cider Co.

Film Exchange OK Cider Co.

They have been brewing for a while and have now signed a lease to take the metal warehouse building next to the Paramount on Film Row. Will be both a brewery and taproom.

https://okciderco.com/

We make Beer-Inspired Cider
    Our vision is to provide a cider drinking experience similar to beer for those who can’t [drink beer], or want a lighter bodied drink. Beer-Inspired means ciders that are made in the differing styles of beer using beer yeasts, beer fermentation profiles, hops, fruit, and other adjuncts. Our ciders are not overly sweet or candy like!

Default Re: OK Cider Co.

I am confused.

Is it beer tasting like cider ? Or is it real apple cider ? In this case, you do not brew cider, you ferment the apple. Cider is closer to wine than beer in the making process.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    I am confused.

Is it beer tasting like cider ? Or is it real apple cider ? In this case, you do not brew cider, you ferment the apple. Cider is closer to wine than beer in the making process.
    It's pretty much beer made with apples instead of grain, making it gluten free.

Blog Entries

If you have had Bold Rock, Wood Chuck, Angry Orchard, etc it will be similar I assume. I'm a big Cider fan, so excited to hear about this.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    If you have had Bold Rock, Wood Chuck, Angry Orchard, etc it will be similar I assume. I'm a big Cider fan, so excited to hear about this.
    OK Cider Co. was at the OK Hall of Fame's Born and Brewed fundraising event this year. Similar in style to Wood Chuck, Angry Orchard, etc. but significantly better in my opinion. I'm not a huge mass market cider fan (typically too sweet for me) but I was blown away by OK Cider Co.'s products. Very tasty and many different styles. Probably not for everyone but the US cider market has been growing substantially and hopefully they can capture this growth and enjoy success.

I'm really looking forward to trying their stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    OK Cider Co. was at the OK Hall of Fame's Born and Brewed fundraising event this year. Similar in style to Wood Chuck, Angry Orchard, etc. but significantly better in my opinion. I'm not a huge mass market cider fan (typically too sweet for me) but I was blown away by OK Cider Co.'s products. Very tasty and many different styles. Probably not for everyone but the US cider market has been growing substantially and hopefully they can capture this growth and enjoy success.
    Good info...thanks! I look forward to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Thank you for the explanation !

Real apple cider it is !
    Very exciting as it is hard to fine good dry and plain cider. Angry Orchard had an Easy Apple, less sweet one but It did not last I think.
    It was the closest from Brut French cider which are the reference for me. I am not sure it so hard to have the same quality which is basic and cheap oversea. I think they use different apples.

I love ciders bu t the american ciders are just too sweet. The European ciders tend to run more dry and less sweet. Strongbow used to be excellent but in 2014, they changed their recipe for the United States to make it a sweeter product. Austin EastCider is fairly decent and not sweet like Angry Orchard, woodchuck and crispin.

Hopefully this place will do some European styles.

You can see a few of their offerings on their website (https://okciderco.com/). I remember trying and really liking (descriptions from their website) Naughty Apple– almost a traditional cider, almost…; Cisón– fermented on Belgian Saison yeast with white peppercorns; Cocked Hat– Wit inspired with notes of coriander and orange; and Nelson Farm’s– our take on the farmhouse ales of France.

I don't like sweet ciders at all and thoroughly enjoyed all that I had. Not too sweet and just incredibly fresh tasting. Really enjoyed the classic cider and then some of their funkier options were great and not like anything I've had before (though I'm far from a regular cider drinker).

Looking forward to this and can add it to when we do our Tap house sunday fundays. may actually get some more folks to tag along now since some of the friends are GF or just not a fan of Beer.

This is decently off topic, but I have always found this particular article fascinating. Makes me want to find some random apple trees and plant them in my back yard:

https://www.motherjones.com/environm...unker-maine/2/

13. Default Re: OK Cider Co.

Tim and Luke of OK Cider Co. both come from a brewing background. They have been members of Red Earth Brewers, an OKC metro area home brew club, for several years now (a club known for turning out good brewers). They will be a good addition to the downtown market.

Progress here but it looks like they still have quite a bit of work to do on the interior.

16. Default Re: OK Cider Co.

They are planning on a April/May 2020 opening.

The first interior photo is of the brewing side of the building (west side); 2nd two are of the taproom.

They should be fully open in a few weeks.

i generally prefer cider over beer, so i'm looking forward to trying out their varieties once cans are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i generally prefer cider over beer, so i'm looking forward to trying out their varieties once cans are available.
    i have been fortunate to try a bunch of their stuff. and and i have had a few i personally didn't care for, but they were still solid and others may like. but all have been very high quality. hopefully you feel the same way, because i really like what they have produced

It's a cool setting at the taproom.

There is an overhead door that opens to the bar, the seating inside is cool and I'm sure they'll put some tables and chairs outside.

The owners have done most of the work themselves and have done a good job.

I don't know, those chairs look a little uncomfortable for sitting and enjoy more than one pint of cider...

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I don't know, those chairs look a little uncomfortable for sitting and enjoy more than one pint of cider...
    I thought the same thing.

Very close to opening. From their FB page:

Surprised no one has posted since opening. This place is great! It has gone to the top of my rotation. The owners Tim and Luke are keeping a nice supply of different ciders. They have several that are always on tap but then rotate other flavors. For example, currently there is a blueberry cider and a watermelon jalapeno cider on the members tap. None of the ciders are sweet though...these are more crisp and clean. Other ciders have been Hazy IPA, Cison, Pineapple Cison, Naughty Banana (One of my favorites) and a cider finished with whiskey staves.

Very friendly staff and covid protections in place with staff wearing masks and masks required to enter. Hand sanitizer out and plenty of room to social distance between tables.

Prices are super reasonable and growlers to go are available.

How does the membership work?

Thread Information