Widgets Magazine

Thread: City Council Changes

Default City Council Changes

It was reported that two of Edmond’s City Council members will not run again.
    (Waner and Caldwell)
    Will be interesting to see how this changes the dynamics.
    The current group has been together since 2012.

Default Re: City Council Changes

Related - Caldwell was one of the votes against the Coffee Creek rezoning (which was defeated 3-2). So theoretically with a different person if could have swung the other way (of course, the same could be said for Waner).

Would be nice to young and fresh minds. Perhaps a bit more liberal to change things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Would be nice to young and fresh minds. Perhaps a bit more liberal to change things up.
    How about Chomsky style Anarcho-syndacalist? Liberal is not very exciting. Will take a lot to make Edmond interesting, so why not!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I hope not. Progressive creates problems where they initially don’t exist. Now simply placing a renewed focus on common sense; we need it. Let’s stop running businesses off to Memorial so we can fund quality services to the growing residential population. Can only find so much with convenience store/dry cleaner combos.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I hope not. Progressive creates problems where they initially don’t exist. Now simply placing a renewed focus on common sense; we need it. Let’s stop running businesses off to Memorial so we can fund quality services to the growing residential population. Can only find so much with convenience store/dry cleaner combos.
    Like how all the immigrants are going to take our jobs, Obama is taking our guns away, and Hillary is gunna gay marry our daughters in some satanic harem?

Party politics of that type don't really enter into city level politics. Head to the politics forum if you want to get into that stuff. It's really not relevant here.

The differences won't be based on political lean, but more on vision, and the type of growth they'd like to focus on in Edmond. Is it at the core (downtown) or at Covell and Sooner, what long term road plans will continue, what type of mixed use development we need, how much retail space does Edmond really need at this time, do we continue the walkability and bike lane efforts, how do we continue to grow the bus system (and does it continue to be free), issues of light pollution, etc. These don't tend to be liberal vs conservative issues.

Let’s stop running businesses off to Memorial so we can fund quality services to the growing residential population. Can only find so much with convenience store/dry cleaner combos.
    Out of curiosity, how do you feel we are running businesses off to Memorial? What makes them make the leap? I know the Outback and the Chili's there on Broadway are always packed, so I've got to wonder if it's just a case of some number cruncher looking at the traffic flows on Memorial (and the vicinity to the mall and other retail).

I’m going to have to disagree with you here.

For me at least, I am suggesting a more liberal council only to balance things a little bit and bring change in just for the sake of the change because there has been several decisions lately I don’t like.

Edmond has also had several high quality developments that have been proposed here but weren’t built. More recently the Coffee Creek golf course redevelopment. The Shopped at Sprong Creek would have arguably been the nicest retail development in the state but the city council members didn’t seem to do much to support it. Low voter/special interests tactics won out by sending it to the polls.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Out of curiosity, how do you feel we are running businesses off to Memorial? What makes them make the leap? I know the Outback and the Chili's there on Broadway are always packed, so I've got to wonder if it's just a case of some number cruncher looking at the traffic flows on Memorial (and the vicinity to the mall and other retail).
    One glaring example was the Spring Creek mixed use proposal. In city's defense, the council voted to approve it. It was a small amount of citizens who sent them packing and ended Edmond's chance of having a first class large development. Most of that shopping, entertainment and dining is much more likely to pop up along Memorial than in Edmond now.

But you also can look at the Coffee Creek thing too. While they didnt have any specific tenants announced and was mostly residential, it still sends a signal to investors and developers what risks they face in Edmond. It gives them pause about doing anything big in Edmond city limits.

The Edmond Outback is closed and a new location opened on Memorial fairly recently.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    The Edmond Outback is closed and a new location opened on Memorial fairly recently.
    I know, that was actually why I used it as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    One glaring example was the Spring Creek mixed use proposal. In city's defense, the council voted to approve it. It was a small amount of citizens who sent them packing and ended Edmond's chance of having a first class large development. Most of that shopping, entertainment and dining is much more likely to pop up along Memorial than in Edmond now.

But you also can look at the Coffee Creek thing too. While they didnt have any specific tenants announced and was mostly residential, it still sends a signal to investors and developers what risks they face in Edmond. It gives them pause about doing anything big in Edmond city limits.
    Ah. I was thinking in terms of businesses moving from Broadway to Memorial. As for the Spring Creek/Coffee Creek thing, I see what you're getting at, but not sure if I agree. Edmond is attracting a decent amount of new restaurants and businesses. I have no idea of a direct comparison for other cities our size. What I do like is we're attracting more local/small chain businesses. S&B, Sunnyside Diner, Bricktown Brewery, Skinny Slims, the Patriarch, etc, and less of the Charlston's, TGIFridays, and such. While I supported Spring Creek, I'm not sure if it was the all that that some folks seem to make it out to be. There were no strong, major anchors announced that I know of. It was and is still a lot of "build it and they will come". I think we have something nice going at I-35 and Covell, with the Convention Center, Showbiz Cinemas, and the mixed use out there. Edmond still doesn't have a specific draw area that will support some of the more specialized businesses that folks seem to want (look at how the candy shop downtown worked out). I think the Stephenson Park area development might have some strong potential in that area, especially once they get the bike taxis going between that area and downtown.

Memorial is different than anything Edmond has or can realistically offer. An area where people will spend the entire day spending money. Between the mall and the big box and smaller stores within that small area, and then offering the strong dining options, with the highest traffic rates in the state, I don't see that it's something Edmond should attempt to compete with.

Ah. I was thinking in terms of businesses moving from Broadway to Memorial. As for the Spring Creek/Coffee Creek thing, I see what you're getting at, but not sure if I agree. Edmond is attracting a decent amount of new restaurants and businesses. I have no idea of a direct comparison for other cities our size. What I do like is we're attracting more local/small chain businesses. S&B, Sunnyside Diner, Bricktown Brewery, Skinny Slims, the Patriarch, etc, and less of the Charlston's, TGIFridays, and such. While I supported Spring Creek, I'm not sure if it was the all that that some folks seem to make it out to be. There were no strong, major anchors announced that I know of. It was and is still a lot of "build it and they will come". I think we have something nice going at I-35 and Covell, with the Convention Center, Showbiz Cinemas, and the mixed use out there. Edmond still doesn't have a specific draw area that will support some of the more specialized businesses that folks seem to want (look at how the candy shop downtown worked out). I think the Stephenson Park area development might have some strong potential in that area, especially once they get the bike taxis going between that area and downtown.

Memorial is different than anything Edmond has or can realistically offer. An area where people will spend the entire day spending money. Between the mall and the big box and smaller stores within that small area, and then offering the strong dining options, with the highest traffic rates in the state, I don't see that it's something Edmond should attempt to compete with.
    A good portion of the spring creek plan did have commitments from tenants but its also standard that many tenants arent announced until further along in development. Besides, if there is a developer that is willing to spend $100 million to make something happen, I'd say they are confident it will be a success, or else they wouldnt be doing it.
    Movie theater, local and non local quality dining and shopping would have been apart of it, and it was connected to a park. It would have been the exact thing you say edmond lacks, an area that you can spend a day at. And now its gone, unlikely to ever come back and the city of OKC is very happy about that.

Regarding spring creek, POAG still owns it and I believe is planning something, it just won’t be what you see in nearly every successful city. It will be watered down version. Though there doesn’t seem to be much movement on it recently, so perhaps they did pull out.

Such a missed opportunity and I get angry when I think about it. I’m sure Edmond will get more chances, but the problem is no one wants this stuff around them.

Covell thing only happened because nothing is near it and the city can’t keep expanding that way forever. But I do think we’ll see a nice quality development and I-35 corridor in Edmond will be a smaller version of the memorial road one.

I do think the city council and the developer could have done more to change the outcome of spring creek expansion.

I wonder if a ‘new developer’ can come and request a zoning change again. It seems the citizen referendum only reversed the city council decision, so it’d be interesting if they do it again down the road and if it gets put on the ballot again, campaign harder. I bet most people in the city supported the development.

EDMOND — Mayor Charles Lamb, 72, died Tuesday afternoon at his home.

During Monday night's city council meeting, Lamb said he was fighting a cold.

Mayor Pro Tem Elizabeth Waner will take over as acting mayor until the council is able to meet for a decision on electing a new mayor.

“We are incredibly saddened and shocked by the passing of our friend and colleague,” Waner said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Charles' family and friends. He was a huge part of our community for decades and this loss leaves a big hole for many people.”

On Tuesday night, Gov.-elect Kevin Stitt tweeted about Lamb's passing.

"Our prayers are for the family and loved ones of Charles Lamb and the city of Edmond as they mourn the loss of a devoted public servant and prominent community leader in Oklahoma."

Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt expressed sympathy, as well.

"On behalf of the people of Oklahoma City, our deepest condolences and prayers to Mayor Lamb's family and the people of Edmond. Mayor Lamb was a longtime leader and public servant for our metro area."

Lamb has been mayor since 2011, but began his service to the city in 1993 when he became a council member. In total, he has been serving Edmond for 23 years on the council.

He has lived in Edmond since he was 13 years old after his father and mother moved to the city to support his father's cabinet-making business.

Once he finished college he became a staff and division appraiser for Federal Housing Administration mortgages for almost 12 years then went on to become a consultant for HUD and development projects.

Lamb was in a mayoral race against Dan O'Neil and Richard Prawdzienski in the upcoming primary election.

Lamb is survived by his wife, Cheri Lamb.

Flowers and condolence cards can be sent to Matthews Funeral Home & Cremation Service in Edmond at 601 S Kelly Ave.

Very sad to hear about Lamb's passing.

This does change the dynamics of the upcoming Mayor and council elections quite a bit. I assume the filing time is over and now Edmond will have only two running for mayor. Lamb was a solid leader for Edmond and understood economic development but balanced with quality of life. If Dan O'Neil gets elected and the other two council positions go the wrong way, I think you might see new development slow and investment move away. I dont think you want your mayor to be the guy who has a reputation of saying no to most new major developments.

onthestrip, would you rather see Richard Prawdraski (sp?) become Mayor who is a known Libertarian and run in elections for years?

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    onthestrip, would you rather see Richard Prawdraski (sp?) become Mayor who is a known Libertarian and run in elections for years?
    After looking him up, he would be even worse.

Prawdzienski has zero interest in growing Edmond. He tends to oppose any sort of civic investment, whether it's schools, recycling programs, city business partnerships, city facilities, or whatever. O'Neil has opposed certain developments, but I don't see him as an automatic no vote on every good or large project. And sometimes some projects should be opposed (although I disagreed with O'Neil on Spring Creek).

Regardless, as mentioned, it will depend on how the other two council spots go. The mayor is just one vote on the council. And, at the end of the day, the position is for 2 years.

Edmond Sun article says that Lamb stays on the ballot. What happens if he wins somehow?

The council appoints the replacement to serve the term, I believe. It's how my father ended up on the council back in the day (although it was someone stepping down, not death). Likely they'd pick who came in second.

If Lamb wins, why wouldn't the City Council call a special election to fill the vacancy?

The coty charter rules. If I recall this came up during a mayor election a few years back, where one of the candidates was withdrawing and they said that the council would select a replacement if they won. And Lamb himself was appointed by the council to replace Douglas.

Here it is. https://newsok.com/article/5543965/e...ndum-questions

City Attorney Steve Murdock said the city charter states that if a vacancy in the office of the mayor or city council occurs, the mayor and council will appoint a person to fill such vacancy to hold the office until the next general city election.

Thread Information