Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarity Coffee

Arts District / Film Row Clarity Coffee

http://www.okctalk.com/search.php?searchid=2576946

Steve Willingham, current roaster at popular Elemental Coffee in Midtown, is set to open a new coffee shop in the new Arts Center parking garage at 431 W. Main.

The new venture will be called Clarity Coffee and take 1,334 square feet at the far east end of the garage on Main Street. The location is directly across from the proposed 499 Sheridan complex.

Willingham told OKCTalk: "Clarity Coffee will focus on community and specialty coffee. We'll be serving the best coffees we can find from multiple roasters, some local, some not. We'll also serve local pastries and fine teas. We're excited about what's going on downtown, and we're just glad we get to be part of it."

The garage itself opened a few months ago and is now busy finishing out the ground floor for various tenants.

Preliminary hours are 7AM to 6PM and Clarity hopes to be open in the late spring or early summer.

Default Re: Clarity Coffee

Interesting that he is currently a coffee roaster but does not sound like he is going to roast at his new place.

Blog Entries

Interesting that the rendering shows both 499 and the historic properties on that site. Does he know something we don't? Or is he just hopeful like us?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Interesting that the rendering shows both 499 and the historic properties on that site. Does he know something we don't? Or is he just hopeful like us?
    That's my model from Google Earth.

It shows a Sketch-up model over the top of the existing buildings.

Blog Entries

OH, okay, dang, wishful thinking from me then :-)

6. Default Re: Clarity Coffee

Looks like this will just be for the working crowds? I assume closing on weekends?

7am to 6pm, so people walking to and from the parking garage farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    7am to 6pm, so people walking to and from the parking garage farm.
    Yawn. Then why even bother?

You know, as I say that, I can think of places in SF's financial district that are closed on weekends, or Chicago's Loop that are closed at night, or ... still a bit of a letdown though.

I was really excited for a moment because I always dreamed of there being a coffee shop right next to the Park, but was quickly disappointed when a) it was being done by someone from Elemental and b) it's not actually next to the park and c) it won't even be open at any kind of useful time.

I know that most CBD's are dead outside of business hours, but the park is a gathering spot especially in the summer. I hate it even more because the fact that they exist a block away will likely deter a normal coffee place from opening in the area any time soon.

The hours do seem off, and I'll not likely ever make it over there while they're open. Closing at 6:00 doesn't make much sense. It seems like they might as well close at 4:00, covering the afternoon crowd that might exist, but I can't imagine there will be much traffic between 4 and 6. I do think they could draw a decent evening crowd from the park if they were open late, or from the Civic Center if they were open Saturday.

The hours aren't set.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The hours aren't set.
    In spite of the fact that we know very little about the details of this coffee shop, I think it is never to early to declare the whole endeavor a failure. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    I was really excited for a moment because I always dreamed of there being a coffee shop right next to the Park, but was quickly disappointed when a) it was being done by someone from Elemental and b) it's not actually next to the park and c) it won't even be open at any kind of useful time.

I know that most CBD's are dead outside of business hours, but the park is a gathering spot especially in the summer. I hate it even more because the fact that they exist a block away will likely deter a normal coffee place from opening in the area any time soon.
    Why does it bother you that it's "someone from Elemental"?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The hours aren't set.
    Cool. If they're open in the evenings, or on Saturdays, I'll give it a try. I like Elemental, so I'm not sure why that's a negative here.

15. Default Re: Clarity Coffee

Cain's Coffee Company, Oklahoma City.

Whatever happened to them?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Cain's Coffee Company, Oklahoma City.

Whatever happened to them?
    HOT ROD,
    Sara Lee owns them and they closed the local facility in 2003. The brand still exists, and their are still some services in Oklahoma.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    Why does it bother you that it's "someone from Elemental"?
    They seem to only want to cater to coffee snobs with heroin level caffeine addictions, not for people like me who actually like the taste of coffee, creamer, and some tasty flavorings. It may just be my own singular experience, but I always get an annoyed vibe from the baristas at Elemental, Coffee Slingers, and now even District House if I don't get why it's $7 for a 2 ounce shot of coffee. I would rather a casual place like Cuppies and Joe or even a Starbucks open downtown next to the park.

I guess I've become a coffee snob. I drink Starbucks, but only if the choice is that, or gas station coffee. I love Elemental. I like Slingers, too. Hoboken Coffee in Guthrie is really good, but I don't want to drive to Guthrie just for coffee. I even roast my own beans now because I know how I like coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    I guess I've become a coffee snob. I drink Starbucks, but only if the choice is that, or gas station coffee. I love Elemental. I like Slingers, too. Hoboken Coffee in Guthrie is really good, but I don't want to drive to Guthrie just for coffee. I even roast my own beans now because I know how I like coffee.
    To clarify, I don't have a problem with high quality coffee or even high prices. My issue is the attitude I seem to encounter at these places. Like I said, maybe it's only my personal experience, but I just get a very uninviting and even impatient vibe with these places, and that is a big factor for where I spend my money.

I have worked with the owner Steve, in the past in a coffee shop and have met few people with the passion for coffee and doing things right as he has. He will give 150% and do what it takes. Give him and this a chance. He will have quality products and I'd venture to say if you are a coffee snob, you should be satisfied with the product here.

Caffeine jolt: COTPA welcomes coffee shop to Arts District garage
    By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record February 23, 2015

OKLAHOMA CITY – For nearly 10 years, Steve Willingham has thought about what he would have in his own coffee shop. That dream will become a reality in a few months.
    Willingham will open Clarity Coffee in a 1,300-square-foot space in the Arts District parking garage, 431 W. Main St. His shop will be on the east side near the Hightower Building. He expects to open early summer.

“It’s been a work in progress for about a year,” he said.

Willingham was first introduced to the coffee scene when he worked at Starbucks about nine years ago. He has worked in different independently owned shops for the past six years and is currently a roaster at Elemental Coffee in Oklahoma City.

“I’ve seen it go from a really sprawled-out coffee scene to a really close-knit group of people, who are really in love with serving awesome coffee,” he said.

He plans to offer roasts from companies near and far, as well as pastries made by a local baker, which he hasn’t named yet. Willingham said he plans to offer a simple menu that will appeal to all coffee drinkers.

“We want to have a really great product in a space where everyone can feel comfortable and come together and have community,” he said.

Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority spokesman Michael Scroggins said having a cafe seemed like a great opportunity to activate the area.

“We really hope it serves as an example for other economic opportunities,” he said. “We’re just thrilled that we will have all the space leased out by the end of the year.”
    Willingham said he’s happy to be there.

“It’s right in the action,” he said.

The authority has 18,000 square feet of retail space on the garage’s first floor. Announced occupants include the city of Oklahoma City’s employee health clinic, the Foundation for Oklahoma City Public Schools and the COTPA office.

Building permits have been filed with the city for the retail spaces. The authority issued the request for qualified proposals to finish construction during its February meeting. Tap Architecture designed the retail spaces’ interiors.

Clarity Coffee’s space will include chairs, tables, couches and free Wi-Fi, Willingham said. He plans to be open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. He is considering staying open late hours for events at the Oklahoma City Civic Center Music Hall.

“It all comes down to what the community wants,” he said.

Read more: Caffeine jolt: COTPA welcomes coffee shop to Arts District garage | The Journal Record

I think he will do well here but there are two other coffee shops within close distance. Don't think he will hurt Illy in Devon but I have always gotten the impression that the coffee shop on the east end of the library struggles. I did see last week that they have added pizza to their menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I think he will do well here but there are two other coffee shops within close distance. Don't think he will hurt Illy in Devon but I have always gotten the impression that the coffee shop on the east end of the library struggles. I did see last week that they have added pizza to their menu.
    That space in the library is on its third operator in a year. Always a bad sign. Speaking of bad signs, their awning looks terrible.

The new operator is making it a "Turbo" pizza place, whatever that means.

And fwiw, I go to Aravalli (aka Illy) all the time, but I'm guessing I will prefer Clarity over Aravalli, so I intend to switch my allegiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I had no idea there was a coffee shop in the Library. When is it open?

The Clarity location is directly across from the City offices on Main, will have lots more office tenants with them in the parking garage, has City Hall directly north and of course 499 Sheridan to be built directly south.

They will get tons of traffic just due to the location and those who don't want to cross Hudson for a cup of coffee.

Thread Information