Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chigama Asian Mexican

Northwest OKC Chigama Asian Mexican

Hello OKCtalk,

I'm disappointed I have not been a member of OKCtalk until now, which is a resourceful forum for OKC. I would definitely like to get more involved in this forum.

I like to introduce myself, my name is Steven. My parents owned Dot Wo and we have been serving OKC for the last 30 years. The last 6 years at Dot Wo Garden has been amazing with the support of OKC but unfortunately the restaurant industry was too tough on my parents.

My passion for restaurants is inevitable, so I have partnered up with my good friend Jeffrey Khowong, who was executive chef from Western concept. We have started a new concept called Chigama Asian Mexican. We know we aren't getting a ton of publicity therefore I wanted to start out by introducing myself and the concept of Chigama.

We wanted to combine Asian and Mexican together with inspirations of French and Japanese cuisine to make a unique concept locally, which brings gourmet and unique tacos, appetizers, noodles, entrees, sides and desserts. We are offering 15% to all OKC talk members this week for our grand opening week until Saturday. Please show some love and support for our local restaurants. Have a great one everyone!

3000 W. Memorial Rd. #103 (SW corner of N.May and Memorial Rd.

Default Re: Chigama Asian Mexican

Looks very interesting and has been getting strong reviews on Yelp.

It took a spot that has previously been built out for a pho restaurant.

https://www.facebook.com/eatchigama/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/chigama-oklahoma-city-2

Where is this located? Or did I miss the address in the last two posts?

It's in the shopping center on the SW corner of May & Memorial.

Horchata panna cotta? Yes, please.

Thank you Pete and everyone. We are already making small revisions to the feedback from soft opening. We are super excited to everyone soon!

I haven't seen fried pork buns as an option anywhere except this place we found in Los Angeles. I think we'll be stopping by Chigama on Friday evening!

Quote Originally Posted by atstevenha View Post
    Thank you Pete and everyone. We are already making small revisions to the feedback from soft opening. We are super excited to everyone soon!
    Welcome to the show, Steven! I'll make a particular effort to try and stop by this week.

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    I haven't seen fried pork buns as an option anywhere except this place we found in Los Angeles. I think we'll be stopping by Chigama on Friday evening!
    Thanks Jompster for coming in, hope everything went great!

Thomas Vu, come on in anytime my man.

Just finished dinner here. It was nice meeting you, Steven! The food was great. There's so many taco shops opening up that sometimes it can feel old, but these were unique, very flavorful, and very good. There are other options if you're not feeling like a taco, but I looked mine enough I'd probably stick with them next time. I had the duck confit taco (a special tonight) and the steak taco. Both were good. My wife had the pork taco and I tried a but. I liked it, but preferred my choices.

We also had the steamed buns which were good. I'll need to check out the fried buns next time. The five spice creme brulee was also delicious.

If I had any feedback it'd be to open up a location further south so I can make it in more often.

Definitely Ginkasa, we are thinking about our next location 2019. =) Glad you guys enjoyed everything. Thanks for coming in again.

Went in last week. They worked quite a bit on the decor, with some changes coming. We had the fried buns, they were excellent. We had a salad and some noodle dish. The ingredients are definitely original, but I did comment on the noodle dish. I spoke with Steven(?), and he took my constructive criticism and informed me they are always looking for feedback. I will definitely be back and try some of the tacos.

Will definitely give your place a try! Thanks for posting here or I wouldn't have heard of it.

My office is less than a mile away. I'll stop in soon!

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    My office is less than a mile away. I'll stop in soon!
    For sure aDark and Dustin, definitely come try it. We got Ramen now its our seasonal special and we will have weekly special start every Sunday. =)

Blog Entries

Went tonight and enjoyed it. Liked the decor and service was good. Food was very good - highly recommend the Tortilla Soup (had a longer name). Calamari was nice and crispy. Will definitely go back. Glad to hear about this place on OKC Talk - otherwise might not have known.

Heya Okatty, I was there tonight too. Wonder if I saw you.
    The cold noodle with chicken that I had was very flavorful, and I'll definitely be back to try more. Nice ambiance too.

I stopped by for a late lunch yesterday. I ordered the elote appetizer, 4 tacos (Tuna Tataki, Fish, Shrimp, and Vegan), and the churro dessert. My favorite tacos out of the lot were the Tuna Tataki, and the shrimp. Tacos in general I enjoyed more than maybe a few select Taquerias in the NW 10th area. The sauces they served with it are also good, and they also offer chili oil if you're into that. There are also a few items that aren't on the menu such as a ramen and another taco I've since forgotten. I also enjoyed the churro dessert. The churros were filled with strawberry jelly which I thought was a little too sweet. However, the vanilla ice cream takes the edge off.

Service was also really good and got to have a chat with some people. Extremely knowledgeable of the menu and specials. My waiter was pointing stuff at the menu while the menu was turned away from him. Also nice that when they say soup of the day, it's really a soup of the day. I think Steven was in Dallas that day. I'm excited to go back and try the other options perhaps on a weekly basis.

Pictures of what I had, sorry I forgot the corn
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yu88LX49ija2Qt7L6

Good lord, this place rules.
    Chigama is the first restaurant I have been to in a long time that where the food was so good that I had to keep ordering more courses to prolong the experience.
    I started with the fish taco and the cold noodle- both were excellent, the avocado/wasabi sauce really complemented the taco and I put the chili oil and red (chigama sauce?) on the cold noodle and the spicy mixed really well with the sweet of the peanut sauce. Never ordered cold noodles before but ordered them on the waiter's recommendation and would get them again.
    From there we ordered the pork dumplings which were dusted with mexican-style cotija cheese and spices.
    We ended with the mussels which were some of the best and biggest mussels I have ever had. They were served with flat scallion pancakes and sat in a coconut chorizo broth, man they were incredible.
    After that we tried all three desserts, my favorite being the creme brulee but the horchata pana cotta and churros with ice cream were also amazing.
    I met the masterminds Steven and Jeffery and they were both genuine, passionate people, my friend I was eating with actually plays golf with Jeffery and had no idea we were in one of his restaurants.
    It also sounds like it will be a really cool night spot once they get their liquor license, anyone who works out at Lifetime should give this a shot- it is right by there.
    Pictures of the mussels and desserts:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	15045 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0538.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	15046 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0542.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	15044

Went there today for a late lunch. Not many people in there but the food was great. My wife had the ramen (off the seasonal menu) and I had some tacos. Both were super flavorful. We will be going back. Hopefully the lack of people were due to the projected weather and not people just not enjoying it.

22. Default Re: Chigama Asian Mexican

I have mentioned the place to a few friends and they have said it is top notch. Gotta check it out soon myself.

I had a bit of a hard time trying to explain where it was. Usually some people in there when I visit, but maybe approaching half full at best.

24. Default Re: Chigama Asian Mexican

Finally got to visit Chigama. Wow. Great food and great service. You can tell the staff really know the food and give great suggestions. I had the tonkatsu ramen as it was on special and it was great. My wife had the shrimp and vegan taco which were great as well.

I will be back and telling my friends about this place!

I went recently and thought the food was good with an assortment of options. Would have liked to try more things.

I have to comment on the center and how 5 restaurants are stacked on one side of the center. There werent many people in Chigama and I think it was the same for the Wagyu place as well as Hummus, which has an awful spot within the center. Its off to the side like its an after thought. I wouldnt be shocked to see one or more close just because of access, visibility and there being 5 restaurants all in a row. Im sure Salata does fine and Metro Diner has a big corner space but the others didnt seem to have much business. Not sure why they werent put in a spot more to the west and facing memorial.

ON EDIT: I guess I should say 6 restaurants together with Poblano out in front.

Thread Information